Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Well no joy on the wheels.

The Schott representative called me and told me those wheels in 17x8 cost $850 each and they have a 12 week turnaround time from date of order. Man, I really don't want to spend $3,400 plus shipping on wheels.

One good thing is they ask for 50% down and remaining balance paid prior to shipping.

More bad news is he said due to costs of materials their wheels are going up in price by $100 each in a month or so.

I don't know how true that is. Sometimes that's a sales tactic to get you to buy now. Then again, with all this COVID-19 crap I have dealt with delays in other parts, and only a slight increase in prices due to shortages. So, it is a possibility.

Looks like my best option at this point is to just have my front wheels rehooped for now, but after the show in San Diego.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I can confirm raw materials are going crazy. A product my uncle and I were making went up over 300% in raw materials for aluminum. Sheet steel went up like 500% in the last year or so

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I can confirm raw materials are going crazy. A product my uncle and I were making went up over 300% in raw materials for aluminum. Sheet steel went up like 500% in the last year or so
Damn, that's crazy! 300 to 500% increase? Wow... Gives a new meaning to inflation.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Damn, that's crazy! 300 to 500% increase? Wow... Gives a new meaning to inflation.

some sheet steel we use at work used to be in the $150-185 range. We bought all they had last month at $480 a sheet, we were told the next load coming in would go for over $700 a sheet

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
some sheet steel we use at work used to be in the $150-185 range. We bought all they had last month at $480 a sheet, we were told the next load coming in would go for over $700 a sheet

That's just insane/ridiculous. I wonder if this is going to transfer to the big companies? Meaning is this going to cause the prices of cars and appliances and other goods to skyrocket as well?

Thanks brother! Yeah, Hyper is right LOL.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
That's just insane/ridiculous. I wonder if this is going to transfer to the big companies? Meaning is this going to cause the prices of cars and appliances and other goods to skyrocket as well?

Thanks brother! Yeah, Hyper is right LOL.

I would imagine ginormous companies like that have price escalation limits in their contracts. We’re small potatoes at 1k-1500 sheets per year

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

My painter made it over today. I told him I wanted to completely respray both fenders. Once he arrived I showed him why and he agreed with me that they needed to be resprayed. The problem with the fenders was the bottoms were not done properly. I guess when they were on the car the bottoms were too difficult to work or get to. So, they did a piss poor job on them. Then there were sanding marks in the paint, not the clear. So, my painter said let's respray them.

Therefore, we needed to take the bottoms down to rework the old body work and he said we needed to make sure the numbers were completely flat or it would not look right after the respray. So, we got a lot done today, but we were unable to finish the job in one day as there was a lot to do as you will see.

Here is what we got done today.

Driver's fender being taken down. Since the fenders are not on the car we needed to ensure we kept the top line of the graphic marked. Then we could spray the black and use the top line to make our measurements.
20210724_091626_resized.jpg

Here you can see just how bad the bottom of the fender is. Needs to be body worked properly. Also, if you look close at the numbers you can see an "outline" in the paint. This needs to be removed for the new numbers to look right.
20210724_091635_resized.jpg

Even the bottom of the front part of the fender needed to be addressed.
20210724_091909_resized.jpg

Here you can see the fresh body work. It already looks much better.
20210724_103641_resized.jpg

Body working the driver's side fender.
20210724_121024_resized.jpg

After the body work was done it was time to sand the rest of the fender with 400 grit. You're not really going to see here, but I wanted it done right.
20210724_133339_resized.jpg

More sanding LOL.
20210724_133345_resized.jpg

This is the other area that I initially wanted addressed. They painted the fenders with the bolts in place and when they sprayed the engine bay black the first time there was a lot of over spray in this area.
20210724_133318_resized.jpg

So, this area needed to be worked and the G.T. 347 needed to be removed. However, after looking at the fenders closely I decided to just completely respray them. We are off to a great start.
20210724_133327_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
After all the body work was done it was time to spray. My favorite part of the project LOL.

I taped the top portion to mark the top of the black. We taped up the fender to keep over spray off the red and then sprayed the fender with black.
20210724_131920_resized.jpg

Driver's side fender.
20210724_153658_resized.jpg

Then we covered the black to keep over spray off of it. By this time my painter needed to leave. So, he sprayed part of the fender's red. He will come back tomorrow to finish the painting up and to clear coat the fenders.
20210724_131927_resized.jpg

Laser Red being applied.
20210724_153635_resized.jpg

These areas where black, so it takes a little more red to cover them up. This is why my painter did an initial spray of red to help get us ahead for tomorrows painting.
20210724_153642_resized.jpg

This is where my painter left off.
20210724_134820_resized.jpg

Now they are looking more to my standard LOL.
20210724_134834_resized.jpg

I told my painter that I would let these dry for about an hour and then I would lay out the graphics so we are ready to go directly to painting when he arrives tomorrow.
20210724_134905_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay,

After I took a break, I went back in the garage to unmask the fenders, put them up on the stands and then lay out the graphics. Now, I know this doesn't look like much, but it took me 2 hours to get these graphics laid out. This was not a stencil. Each line and the graphic itself needed to be installed individually. So, I needed to make sure the lines and measurements were dead on or it wouldn't look right or the lines wouldn't line up with the doors.

I found these instructions for the 1965 Shelby side stripe graphics online. So, this is what I went by as this is how my initial graphics were laid out. These measurements actually changed for the 1966 model year.
3 Branda 65 Side Stripes.jpg

Each stripe being laid out individually. The blue stripes are my upper and lower black lines. The yellow tape represents my 1/2 inch space which will be removed to become red.
20210724_162253_resized.jpg

Here the G.T. 427 has been put in place and the green tape before the G will be my 2 1/8 inch center stripe.
20210724_165250_resized.jpg

Driver's side graphics completed.
20210724_165531_resized.jpg

Passenger side graphics completed. Man do these look cool already and Damn, am I tired LMAO!!! Can't wait to finish spraying the red tomorrow and then clear coating these fenders. Should look great.
20210724_175229_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

Painter came by at 8AM and we got started right away. Man, to say I'm happy with the results is an understatement.

When the painter arrived he hit the basecoat with 1000 grit sandpaper to get rid of the remaining sand scratches. This allowed for the following application of basecoat to cover evenly.
20210725_090003_resized.jpg

We got the red sprayed over the graphics.
20210725_090021_resized.jpg

We had to spray a little more red over the black to get good coverage. I guess that is why there was an outline around the black on the 347. It happened again with the 427. No big deal.
20210725_090302_resized.jpg

20210725_090312_resized.jpg

Time to unmask the graphics. Holy crap did this come out great!
20210725_092848_resized.jpg

Driver's side unmasked. That's what I love about this color. Depending on the angle and lighting the pearl makes it look different.
20210725_094126_resized.jpg

Fenders set up and ready to spray clear coat on them.
20210725_094155_resized.jpg

Not everything went smoothly. When unmasking the graphics the paint pulled up a little with the "G" on the driver's fender and the "7" on the passenger fender. No problem, just mask it up and add some paint before applying the clear.
20210725_092903_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Next it was time to clear coat. Man, this process really brings that Laser Red to life!

Driver's fender. Here you can see the orange peel in the reflection of the light.
20210725_105433_resized.jpg

Passenger fender. The bottom area below the lower black line looks so much better.
20210725_105539_resized.jpg

20210725_105557_resized.jpg

20210725_105623_resized.jpg

Here you can see some dirt nibs in the paint.
20210725_112623_resized.jpg

Nice reflection of the garage door. This should look better once it's cut and buffed. I'll let these dry for a week and then I'll cut and buff them.
20210725_112636_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Went to the fabricators shop today to drop off some exhaust parts.

While I was there I noticed he got my upper radiator tube completed.

For those that don't remember, this is how I initially set up the upper radiator tube and was not happy with this look/routing at all
20210703_105553_resized.jpg

Again, I thought this upper radiator tube was ugly. As a matter of fact it was fugly LMAO!!!
20210703_105539_resized.jpg

My fabricator and I talked and I told him I wanted a cleaner look and the tube closer to the radiator. I bought a new thermostat housing with a straight water neck instead of a 90 degree. This is what he came up with. He actually removed the upper tube from the radiator and welded in a 90 degree angle tube.
20210726_152312_resized.jpg

Now this is what I'm talking about. And with the radiator cover in place this will look SWEET!!!
20210726_152651_resized.jpg

If you look at the top of the fan shroud you will see my fabricator had to grind the plastic a little to make room for the tubes. I love his attention to detail.
20210726_152821_resized.jpg

Here is the bottom radiator tube and hose. They are WAY off. My fabricator will address this problem next.
20210726_161632_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello everyone,

It's been a couple of weeks since I talked to the Kindig rep. So, I sent him an email today. He responded and told me he did pass on that I was good with the size of the part and wanted to find out about cost and time to build them. He says he has not heard anything back yet.

I responded back and told him that I await his answer and told him that if we can make this happen I wanted to go up there in person to pick it up.

So, we will see what happens. Just wanted to give you guys an update.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
This is such a fun thread. I like this and the recovered Ford Racing Mustang build thread a lot.

Thanks!

Thank you Nick! Glad you are enjoying it. I'm having fun posting and reading comments. You can thank your fellow SVTP members because there was a point I thought about not posting this build here. Then it was pointed out by SVTP members that although my post count wasn't that high my view count was pretty healthy. So, I decided to keep this build thread going here.

I must say I'm very glad I did......:D

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
nice work on the fenders, with everything else you've put into the car would have been a shame to not bite the bullet and get them up to par with the rest

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
nice work on the fenders, with everything else you've put into the car would have been a shame to not bite the bullet and get them up to par with the rest

Thank you DSG! That was my sentiment exactly. I needed to change the numbers and I wanted to address the area on the fender where the bolts go in the engine bay.

Once I seen the scratch marks in the paint and the area behind the bumper where they didn't apply enough clear and the bottom of the fenders where the body shop didn't do the body work correctly I felt they just needed to be completely redone.

I still have more to fix. There are a couple of rust spots coming through the passenger door on the side stripe and my rocker panels look as bad as the bottom of the fenders did.

I told my painter about those areas. Then I told him "You want me to drive you crazy?" Then I said "Let's just repaint the whole car!" LMAO!!! He looked at me funny and then said "Let's do it!" LOL.

I don't think we are going to paint the whole car, but once the fenders are back on and I look at it we "may" have to at least blend the doors. That won't be a problem because we need to fix the side stripes on the car and fix the rocker panels as well.

So, I may continue to bite the bullet and make sure anything not up to par gets that way before it's all said and done. LOL.

Thanks again for providing feedback. I appreciate it!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Been in Ghostrider mode, that is looking great. Digging the upper radiator hose solution.
Thank you Grabber! Yeah, I was wondering if you went MIA. Thought I was going to have to organize a search party lol.

Thank you for your perspective on the radiator tube. I'm really happy with it. I think it will look even better once my fabricator comes up with a radiator cover design.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
ROFLMAO!!!!

I have a build thread on the classic Mustang site. I don't post as much there as I do here. However, I was looking at it today and seen I had a notification.

I go and look at my notification and this is what it said:

Can't get enough.jpg

I don't know whether I should be proud or feel cheap LMAO!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread