Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I'll be honest when you first posted the pictures I had forgotten about the style of hood you were running and said to myself no way Jose. Then when I scrolled down and saw the rest of the pics I said Awe Yeah that's going to look sweeeet.

I hear you Grabber. When I looked at in from the side before getting the hood I was like "I don't think so." LMAO. Good thing my brother got this cowl hood years ago.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
That is one eye-catching Mustang. It’s really coming together nicely. I fully expect the eye appeal to be outstanding when it’s complete. .

Thank you Bob! Really nice to know that other's appreciate the vision I have for this car. It took me years to get to this point due to funds, building my skill level and acquiring the tools I needed. Now that I'm hear I'm very proud and grateful for what I have been able to achieve and she's not even completed yet LOL.

Can only imagine how I'll feel when it fires up and I hear it rumbling :D.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

As mentioned above this car is low or at least it feels that way. It feels like the oil filter is practically on the ground LOL. Exaggerating a little, but it could also be I'm just used to it being up in the air since it has been that way for over a year now LOL.

So, I went in the garage last night and took some measurements.

From the floor to the top of the door 35". Less than 3 feet. Holy crap LOL!!!
20210714_181848_resized.jpg

From the floor to the top of the roof line 51". Just over 4 feet.
20210714_182100_resized.jpg

I still have 6.5" of road clearance to my cross member. Should be good, but I'll nee to avoid speedbumps and any other debris that might be in the road. Need to make sure I avoid parking curbs as well. It'll be just like driving the Roush and my Cobra as their body kits are low to the ground too LOL.
20210715_071022_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

You know I couldn't wait to test fit the front fender. Working from home, so on my lunch break I went out there and put the driver's fender in place. I'll remove it tonight since it's going to the fabricators shop this weekend.

There is good news and bad news LOL.

I couldn't get the camera angle right, so the front looks high here.
20210715_122102_resized.jpg

Moved some boxes around and got this shot. Here it looks good. That's the good news.
20210715_122126_resized.jpg

Moved to the rear of the car and it looks good. It looks level and I like the ride height.
20210715_122159_resized.jpg

I'm VERY happy with the stance.
20210715_122207_resized.jpg

I like the fitment of the tire in the wheel well. I turned the wheel lock to lock and no hitting or rubbing.
20210715_122027_resized.jpg

The Ringbrothers's hardware looks good.
20210715_122236_resized.jpg

20210715_122254_resized.jpg

I'm going to need to re-paint the inner part of the fender (i.e. where the hardware sits) as some overspray got on it when the car was originally painted.
20210715_122331_resized.jpg

And here is the bad news. With this Mustangs to Fear set up and Wilwood brakes the tire sticks out about 1/4 to 1/2 inch too much. I have 17x8 all around. Should have 17x7 up front. The way it is now when I hit a bump the tire is going to rub the fender. I'll take a closer look at this later. Maybe I can get a different tire size to fix the issue. I have 235/45 all around right now. Maybe need to bump the rear up to 245/45 and drop the front end down one tire width size. I'd much rather buy new tires than new rims/wheels.
20210715_123056_resized.jpg

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you again Tones. It doesn't have a loud stereo, but you can bet the one it does have will be blasting (as loud as it can LOL) some heavy metal tunes. I already use the stereo to play my Bluetooth while I'm working on it or just looking at it :D.
That's what I'm talking about brother!!

RunninHorse

Established Member
It's all coming together! Well done, it looks great!

For the rims, I'd switch to the narrow fronts and reuse those tires if you can. Then keep the old front rims to use on the rear with a special occasion stickier tire.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
It's all coming together! Well done, it looks great!

For the rims, I'd switch to the narrow fronts and reuse those tires if you can. Then keep the old front rims to use on the rear with a special occasion stickier tire.

Thank you RunningHorse! Seeing it on the ground, with the fender on and that stance is awesome!

That's a great idea RunninHorse and one I would definitely use. The problem is these wheels are not manufactured any more. So, I cannot buy these in a narrower set up.

So, these are my current options:
  • Buy thinner tires.
  • Modify the wheels:
    • Mill the back of the center section while keeping the wheel from contacting my caliper (I'll talk to my fabricator this weekend to see if he can do this)
    • Send the wheels off to a specialty company and have them re-hooped with the correct backspacing (I called Boyd Coddington and they said they "could" do this, but there is a chance my wheel could be damaged during disassembly and I assume all risk. They accept no responsibility here. The rep suggested I sell my current wheels and buy a new set with the correct backspacing).
  • Buy a new set of wheels and possibly tires as suggested by the Boyd rep.
  • Modify the front suspension with shorter upper and lower control arms (I called MTF and they said changing to shorter upper and lower control arms would change my steering geometry and he did not recommend that. We did figure out that my front shock only has 1.5 inch of upward travel. So, in essence, if my tire is more then 1.5 inches away from my fender it won't rub. However, it will still look like crap with my tire sticking out).
So, I will need to examine these options and see which route works best for me.

If I can get away with it "NOT" rubbing up front I may just save up and buy a whole new set of wheels later. To be honest I really need to address the rear wheels as well. I need to keep the center section where it's at, but bring the hoop out and give me more of a lip/deep dish look because I did have the rear-end narrowed by 1 inch on each side.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
(I called Boyd Coddington and they said they "could" do this

I haven't seen this name in a while.

When Boyd passed away in 2008 (or 2009) his son, Jr, kinda got the bad end of the stick and lost out on the stake in the company.

He does ceramic coatings, details etc here in Kansas City now. Jr and then his son, both do some details for my dealership as well. Super nice guy, all kinds of crazy stories.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I haven't seen this name in a while.

When Boyd passed away in 2008 (or 2009) his son, Jr, kinda got the bad end of the stick and lost out on the stake in the company.

He does ceramic coatings, details etc here in Kansas City now. Jr and then his son, both do some details for my dealership as well. Super nice guy, all kinds of crazy stories.

Yes sir. My brother bought these wheels from a local place years ago and I mean years LOL. I used to watch Boyd's show, but I never liked the shop manager Dwayne.

I called a place local to me about modifying my wheels and they suggested I call the manufacturer, which is why I called Boyd Coddington wheels.

It's sad, but when someone in the family dies there always seem to be problems. I'm assuming that Boyd's wife made out and his son, from another woman, got screwed over. The wife always seems to make out when they divorce their husbands or their husband dies. LOL, this reminds me of the thread on SVTP where they are talking about not getting married LOL.

Thanks for posting 13COBRA! interesting story for sure.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
It's so funny, I've been talking to some pretty big name companies over the past couple of weeks.

• Kindig it Design
  • Roush Performance
  • Boyd Coddington Wheels
  • Mustangs to Fear
I was in Austin, but did "not" get a chance to go by Martin Brothers Customs.

Pretty cool LOL......

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes sir. My brother bought these wheels from a local place years ago and I mean years LOL. I used to watch Boyd's show, but I never liked the shop manager Dwayne.

I called a place local to me about modifying my wheels and they suggested I call the manufacturer, which is why I called Boyd Coddington wheels.

It's sad, but when someone in the family dies there always seem to be problems. I'm assuming that Boyd's wife made out and his son, from another woman, got screwed over. The wife always seems to make out when they divorce their husbands or their husband dies. LOL, this reminds me of the thread on SVTP where they are talking about not getting married LOL.

Thanks for posting 13COBRA! interesting story for sure.

I can't speak to the whole story, as it's not really my place..but I assume you aren't far off.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I can't speak to the whole story, as it's not really my place..but I assume you aren't far off.

I hear you 13COBRA and respect your position. I've been around a while and have a few personal experiences myself. So, I figured, based on my experiences, that Boyd's son probably went through the "step mom" bad attitude directed towards him and it probably intensified once Boyd passed. People get real weird/mean when money is involved.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I know the center console is in and you probably don't want to deal with more wiring, but you could always install a dimmer for the cup holder LED's. Then you could use the white light and keep it at a usable level.

As for the front tires, don't forget about the negative camber gain. A lot of suspensions are set to have the tire go into negative camber as the suspension compresses. Plus you can run a little extra negative camber in the initial aligment.

Users who are viewing this thread