Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
@Black Gold 380R

How's that vacation? Where's the pics? Huh? Huh?

LOL, What's up Bob?!? Vacation is going great! I'm actually getting a ton of work done on the car. It's amazing how fast a project goes once the paint is done in the engine bay and the engine and transmission are installed LOL.

Okay to hold you over here are a few teaser pictures (I hope you know I had to log onto my work computer to upload these pictures LOL).

I've been working on installing parts on the engine (i.e. lower intake, balancer, water pump, alternator and starter) and I have been working on wiring and getting the interior back together.

Here are the pictures of the alternator and starter wiring.

Wire along the block going to the alternator.
20210627_103001_resized.jpg

Starter wiring going along with the alternator wiring. I'm "trying" to make this as clean and unseen as possible. The headers should hide this nicely.
20210627_103007_resized.jpg

Run to the back of the engine and into the cockpit through the firewall grommets.
20210627_103012_resized.jpg

NOTE: I couldn't resist testing the starter. So, I tapped the ignition key to start and the motor bumped. SWEET!!!! I just wanted to make sure it worked. The engine has ZERO fluids and only assembly lube. So, I didn't want to spin it.

I have been working on the ECU wiring under that dash. I got tired of wiring and wanted to do something different. So, I installed my front carpet and put the interior together. The center console will be coming back out so I can finish up the wiring, which is why the passenger seat was not installed.
20210630_132713_resized.jpg

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
LOL, What's up Bob?!? Vacation is going great! I'm actually getting a ton of work done on the car. It's amazing how fast a project goes once the paint is done in the engine bay and the engine and transmission are installed LOL.

Okay to hold you over here are a few teaser pictures (I hope you know I had to log onto my work computer to upload these pictures LOL).

I've been working on installing parts on the engine (i.e. lower intake, balancer, water pump, alternator and starter) and I have been working on wiring and getting the interior back together.

Here are the pictures of the alternator and starter wiring.

Wire along the block going to the alternator.
View attachment 1710235

Starter wiring going along with the alternator wiring. I'm "trying" to make this as clean and unseen as possible. The headers should hide this nicely.
View attachment 1710236

Run to the back of the engine and into the cockpit through the firewall grommets.
View attachment 1710237
NOTE: I couldn't resist testing the starter. So, I tapped the ignition key to start and the motor bumped. SWEET!!!! I just wanted to make sure it worked. The engine has ZERO fluids and only assembly lube. So, I didn't want to spin it.

I have been working on the ECU wiring under that dash. I got tired of wiring and wanted to do something different. So, I installed my front carpet and put the interior together. The center console will be coming back out so I can finish up the wiring, which is why the passenger seat was not installed.
View attachment 1710238

Your classic Mustang interior looks awesome with the additional gauges, I love it.

ToddW702

Established Member
I have console envy. I would love somewhere to put a darn cup lol. Looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Your classic Mustang interior looks awesome with the additional gauges, I love it.
Thank you Lambeau! I wanted some additional gauges, but didn't want that 70s style 3 gauges under the dash look. I had a single din radio in there before. I found that gauge holder and it worked out for me.

Also getting the additional Speedhut gauges for my factory gauges really brought it all together.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I have console envy. I would love somewhere to put a darn cup lol. Looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Thank you Todd! Yeah those cup holders were suggested by an SVTP member and I seen the idea on bitchin rides too.

I was looking at it after I put it back in and realized when I bought the console it was a blank slate (just a piece of shaped fiberglass). It was completely designed by me and from suggestions by SVTP members.

To say I'm happy with it is an understatement.

Can't wait to get this thing done and hear it rumble.

Really appreciate you guys providing feedback!

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
It's interesting to see the little nuances Ford continues to make part of Mustangs 55 years later.
- Vertical stripes on the interior of the door.
- Iconic dual raised ridges in front of both the driver and passenger with the dip in the middle.
- Horizontal ridges on the seats.
- Circular Speedo and Tach housings.

delvin.a

Established Member
I wish I could find the tape the factory used, it feels like vinyl electrical tape but obviously has no adhesive. You'd think it would be common knowledge all over the vintage ford/mustang sites but I've never found a good answer. For my 64 Falcon I switched to the silicone tape, I love that it doesn't have the adhesive but it doesn't have the look or feel of vinyl tape.

Is this what you are talking about? It’s almost identical to what Ford used in the 90’s. I used this to rewrap my harness in my 95, I was pleased with it I wrapped the end of the wrap with Tesa tape. If you pay close attention while removing the old stuff you can see some of the “tricks” the line workers used while wrapping them.

Cheers

2 GM Non Adhesive Wire Harness Wrapping Tape Individual Roll - 1 “ X 100 Ft. for sale online | eBay

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

As you all know I'm on 2 weeks vacation. This week I busted my hump and got a ton of work done on the car. Next week I'm actually going out of town and will not be working on the car.

So, I wanted to log on and share some of my progress. I provided some teaser pictures above, but here is a more in-depth look.

Okay, to expand on the interior. I am about 95% done with the interior. I have a few more things to wire. However, I will not be putting the passenger seat in until the car is 100% completed. I want to leave the room in case I need to get to the wiring under the dash again.

This is how my ECU wiring harness arrived. This is a generic harness and needed to be modified to fit my application. Well, i wanted to modify it as I knew things would not look right if I didn't.
20210627_113645_resized.jpg

Here it is after I disassembled it and made sure I labeled EVERYTHING (green tape) LOL. I did not need everything, so I was able to cut out some of these wires. I also had to cut some wires to lengthen or shorten them to fit my application.
20210627_134348_resized.jpg

Here is the wiring harness placed inside the car. The passenger floor board is the ECU wiring. The wiring on top of the transmission hump is for my radio and center console. Uh yes, that is a pillow LOL. Need it for my upper back, head and shoulders. I know, I'm old LOL.
20210628_145940_resized.jpg

Just a different angle of all that wiring LOL. Here you may notice my throttle pedal is installed.
20210630_111117_resized.jpg

Got my front carpet installed. Just lifted the wires and slid the carpet underneath.
20210630_114320_resized.jpg

Here is how my wring harness was put together in the engine compartment. Everything was cut to length then wrapped and taped for a clean/professional look. It is ran to the back of the engine and into the cockpit through the grommets in the firewall/transmission tunnel.
20210629_122631_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay, since I was under the dash getting all my wiring in order I did not take pictures until I was pretty much done.

After my wiring was done I installed my center console and installed my shifter handle and shifter boot.
20210702_125135_resized.jpg

Look at the passenger floor board now. Think I got the wires tucked up pretty well.
20210702_125625_resized.jpg

I also got my brake and clutch pedals installed.
20210702_125613_resized.jpg

Just a closer look.
20210702_121121_resized.jpg

When I first turned the key my handheld came to life and told me I needed to perform a TPS calibration. SWEET!!!! It's working!!!!!
20210702_104916_resized.jpg

I'm not ready to do that yet, so I just hit okay and the front screen displayed.
20210702_120948_resized.jpg

I checked the ECU and looked at the system lighting codes (Green is ready, yellow is ready, but engine is not running, Red is not ready (my only red is telling me my TSP has not been calibrated yet) and blue is timing components not detected because car is not running yet.

So, besides my TPS not being calibrated everything is operating properly in pre-start position.
20210702_104942_resized.jpg

Here you can see my line lock and cut out switches are working properly. The center switch is for my emergency brake and it does not work when the ignition is on (it's a safety feature so you don't activate it while driving). However, the emergency brake does work when the ignition is off, as I wanted/wired it).
20210702_105253_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Next thing I did was verify my lighting worked.

Note, I do not have my headlight wiring in place yet. So, I could not plug them in to test.

Front parking lights working.
20210702_124712_resized.jpg

Driver's side rear parking light and license plate light working.
20210702_124735_resized.jpg

Passenger side rear parking light working.
20210702_124802_resized.jpg

Here you can see the parking light reflection.
20210702_124841_resized.jpg

Here you can see the brighter light reflection indicating the brake lights are working.
20210702_124844_resized.jpg

I also tested my turn signals and my bright light indicator on the dash. Everything (light wise) is currently working as it should. Just need to get my headlights tested later, but they should be working as well.

Users who are viewing this thread