Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay, as much as I would love to go to paint now, my body guy said it's time to do more body work. My "homework" is to sand the guide coat off and get rid of any orange peel or imperfections in the body (i.e. pin holes or any areas we missed or I messed up with my initial body work the first time around).

So, on Sunday I spent the day working on the passenger side inner fender area and my radiator support. I'll try to get the driver's side inner fender and firewall done after work this week. Hopefully we are ready to go on Saturday.

Okay, even though it looks good there are minor imperfections and missed spots. After sanding the guide coat these areas were VERY easy to spot. I used 180 grit to sand the guide coat off. After exposing the bad spots I got to work on Sunday.

Here you can see the sanded passenger side and radiator support. All the greenish spots are glazing putty filling in the minor imperfections. Also, I went through to the metal in some areas. I hit the bare metal areas with some etching primer and then sprayed it with 2K primer again to give me some build up of material. Once I'm done, the entire engine bay will need to be sprayed with 2K primer again. Then if everything looks good it will be wet sanded with 400 grit and then it should be ready for color.
20210425_154443_resized.jpg

Close up of the radiator support fix.
20210425_154448_resized.jpg

Here you can see how much spot fixing this needed. The majority of this comes from my inability to get the body work straight the first time I did the body work. My body guy fixed the glaring problems, but the guide coat was needed to show everything that needed to be fixed. No problem, it's a learning process for me.
20210425_154458_resized.jpg

Here is after some etching primer and 2K primer reapplied in the really bad spots. I'll finish the driver's side and firewall this week and then spray the entire engine bay with 2K primer again, as mentioned.
20210425_160316_resized.jpg

I was really happy with my results. After welding the nuts on I had some body filler lift on the radiator support and cause some really bad dips/chips. So, I needed to get it straight. I think it looks great now.
20210425_160321_resized.jpg

Here is an overall view of my work on Sunday. I was able to get the tops of the radiator support and fender mounting areas finished, minus the 400 grit sanding. I'm really happy with how straight I was able to get these areas. I focused on the inside portions as those will be seen. The outside areas will be covered by the fenders.
20210425_172310_resized.jpg

20210425_172326_resized.jpg

20210425_172318_resized.jpg

20210425_172338_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Do you have any fingerprints left?

LMAO Bob! My finger tips are tender today, but I used a sanding block on most of it. So, I'm good to go for now. Don't know if my fingers could handle another round of sanding today. I may take a break after work today and get back on it tomorrow afternoon.

During my lunch break today I went to the auto body shop and got my paint. My body shop guy asked me to get a half a gallon of Ford Laser Red, paint code E9, because I have more than the engine bay to paint. Some front end parts need some touch ups and the sides of my fenders need to go from 347 to 427.

I'll take some pictures of the paint after work today and post up tomorrow.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Okay, as much as I would love to go to paint now, my body guy said it's time to do more body work. My "homework" is to sand the guide coat off and get rid of any orange peel or imperfections in the body (i.e. pin holes or any areas we missed or I messed up with my initial body work the first time around).

So, on Sunday I spent the day working on the passenger side inner fender area and my radiator support. I'll try to get the driver's side inner fender and firewall done after work this week. Hopefully we are ready to go on Saturday.

Okay, even though it looks good there are minor imperfections and missed spots. After sanding the guide coat these areas were VERY easy to spot. I used 180 grit to sand the guide coat off. After exposing the bad spots I got to work on Sunday.

Here you can see the sanded passenger side and radiator support. All the greenish spots are glazing putty filling in the minor imperfections. Also, I went through to the metal in some areas. I hit the bare metal areas with some etching primer and then sprayed it with 2K primer again to give me some build up of material. Once I'm done, the entire engine bay will need to be sprayed with 2K primer again. Then if everything looks good it will be wet sanded with 400 grit and then it should be ready for color.
View attachment 1700720

Close up of the radiator support fix.
View attachment 1700721

Here you can see how much spot fixing this needed. The majority of this comes from my inability to get the body work straight the first time I did the body work. My body guy fixed the glaring problems, but the guide coat was needed to show everything that needed to be fixed. No problem, it's a learning process for me.
View attachment 1700722

Here is after some etching primer and 2K primer reapplied in the really bad spots. I'll finish the driver's side and firewall this week and then spray the entire engine bay with 2K primer again, as mentioned.
View attachment 1700723

I was really happy with my results. After welding the nuts on I had some body filler lift on the radiator support and cause some really bad dips/chips. So, I needed to get it straight. I think it looks great now.
View attachment 1700724

Here is an overall view of my work on Sunday. I was able to get the tops of the radiator support and fender mounting areas finished, minus the 400 grit sanding. I'm really happy with how straight I was able to get these areas. I focused on the inside portions as those will be seen. The outside areas will be covered by the fenders.
View attachment 1700725

View attachment 1700726

View attachment 1700727

View attachment 1700728

Huge progress! It looks like a ton of work accomplished and looking great

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Huge progress! It looks like a ton of work accomplished and looking great.

Thank you geoffmt! Always appreciate the feedback. Yeah, having my body shop guy there and having 2 people working on the car really allowed me to get some serious progress made. After everything was painted and guide coat added on Saturday I felt really motivated on Sunday to get things done.

HA HA, I've been watching YouTube videos of custom Mustangs and I'm really itching to get my engine bay painted.

I think this car is really badass!!!! If mine can come out "half" as good as this one I'll be stoked!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

I have had very FEW minor set backs during this build. Well, I had one yesterday LOL.

As mentioned, I went to the paint store to get my Ford Laser Red paint. I told the guy at the counter I needed Ford Laser Red, paint code E9. He asked me what year and I said 2001. He asked me if I had a VIN number as there were several variations listed. I told him it was not a factory car painted Laser Red. He asked me if it was a respray and I said yes.

So, he proceeded to tell me he would go with the most popular variation. I said no problem. When everything was done he gave me the can and showed me the paint code E9 on the label and I "ASSUMED" everything was good to go. Now, with most paint shops they put a dab of paint on the top of the can so you can see the color. As I was walking out the door I looked at the dab of paint and it didn't look right to me. But, I didn't pay close attention and went back to work.

Well, when I get home last night I'm all excited to see the paint. So, I open the can and this is what I see :eek:. WTF is this :mad:???? Pink :mad:!?!?!?! My wife called it fuchsia. LMAO!
20210426_165809_resized.jpg

So, I open the can that I have and this is what I see, Laser Red. This is what I asked for and wanted/needed.
20210426_165814_resized.jpg

So, now I go and read the labels. WTF??? Ford "Europe"??? 95-98????? This is NOT what I asked for. How could they "F" this up? This is what happens when you assume the so called experts know what they are doing.

20210426_165842_resized.jpg

So, I go look at my label. Paint code E9, check. Ford "AMERICA." Check. 2002-2003 okay, I asked for 2001. Close enough LOL.
20210426_165854_resized.jpg

Here they are side by side. NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!!
20210426_165931_resized.jpg

So, I thought maybe I asked for it wrong or I did something wrong. So, I google Ford Laser Red paint. This is the first picture that popped up. You tell me which can it looks like?
20210426_172435.jpg

So, I called the paint store and told them what happened. They told me to bring the paint back today and they will fix it. Hopefully they give me a new batch and don't literally try to fix the batch they gave me. I've dealt with this paint store before and they are normally really good. And they were good yesterday in answering my questions and helping me out. I think the guy behind the counter just printed the wrong paint instructions and this is what the guy in the back mixed.

Just goes to show you don't assume everything is good to go. Physically inspect your paint or your parts BEFORE you leave the store LMAO!!!!!

I do accept some of the blame here for not being more diligent, but hopefully I can get this fixed during lunch today.

Grabber70Mach

Established Member
A tedious process but you'll enjoy the outcome when it's done. You'll also have the ability to say that with few small exceptions you did the majority of the work yourself. Built not bought.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
A tedious process but you'll enjoy the outcome when it's done. You'll also have the ability to say that with few small exceptions you did the majority of the work yourself. Built not bought.

Thank you Grabber! And you are correct sir. I am receiving some help (i.e. body guy, upholstery guy and engine builder), but I am making it my mission to ensure I am doing the majority of the work.

I cut the center console and installed all the accessories and electrical stuff. Upholstery guy is just upholstering it. Body guy is doing some body work and some spraying, but I'm doing some spraying as well, the majority of the body work and ALL the sanding LMAO. Engine builder built the long block, but I'll be completing the engine and making it run. Not to mention installing it, but that will be with the help of my dad and brother.

I appreciate you, and all the others, for recognizing how much work I'm putting into this car.

Thank you all!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

I went to the paint store yesterday. As I thought their intent was to "fix" the paint they gave me. After they realized there was no way in hell that was going to happen, LOL, they decided to remix the batch. The manager came out and talked to me. I told him what I asked for and what I got. He said that in my case it was their fault for mixing the Europe color versus the American version and for using the wrong year. So, they covered the cost and gave me my new batch. SWEET!! These guys always treat me right.

I had my can with me and showed them the label and the year. So, they pulled up the correct mixing code and took my can with them and this is what I received this time.

Okay label looks right this time. No Europe and it covers up to 2002 like my can. Looking good so far.
20210427_174659_resized.jpg

Now we are talking. This looks good.
20210427_174706_resized.jpg

Side by side. We have a winner. Now I'm motivated again LOL.
20210427_174721_resized.jpg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
annoying but at least you got it straightened out. Better than giving the paint to someone else and having them spray then you show up and it's wrong...definitely could have been a lot worse!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
So, I got back on the engine bay after seeing the paint and how well it matches my old can.

I spent 4 hours in the garage after work yesterday. I got the driver's side inner fender completed (Note: I'll get the driver's side frame rail done today and then I'll get the firewall done tomorrow after work).

Here is my progress:

Here is the driver's side after the initial block sanding process. All the dark areas is the remaining guide coat clearly showing me my low spots.
20210427_145242_resized.jpg

Here is the glazing putty applied. I know it looks like a lot and makes my panel look like it's really bad and my body work sucks LOL, but most of this are tiny pin holes or minor imperfections which is what the guide coat is supposed to reveal. Keep in mind this is all my work. My body guy only worked on the firewall. So, this actually makes sense for a rookie like me LOL.
20210427_151324_resized.jpg

Here is the panel after the glazing putty has been worked. Looks very similar to my passenger side.
20210427_164614_resized.jpg

Okay, in the areas where I went down to bare metal I had to spray those areas with etching primer to promote adhesion and build the are up with material.
20210427_170240_resized.jpg

Here is the passenger side after I finished it on Sunday. Keep in mind I resprayed only the tops of the inner fender aprons and the radiator support on Sunday. So, last night I got the passenger and driver's side inner fender apron prepped and sprayed last night.
20210427_164638_resized.jpg

Here is the passenger side after respraying it with 2K primer.
20210427_170344_resized.jpg

And the driver's side after respraying it with 2K primer.
20210427_171906_resized.jpg

A little closer look at the driver's side inner fender apron. To say I'm stoked is an under statement. This is really coming out great. There are still a few real small spots I missed. However, I'm going to guide coat the entire engine bay one more time and block sand it one more time (after I finish the driver's frame rail and firewall). Then I'll spray a final coat of 2K primer and then wet sand the entire engine bay with 400 grit and then it will be ready for paint. I'm busting my @$$ to get this done, but with my current plan I'm not sure if I'll be able to spray color this Saturday or not. We will see what my body guy says. I just want to ensure it's right before color goes on.
20210427_171955_resized.jpg

Finished passenger side inner fender apron. I'll spray the passenger frame rail once I complete the driver's side frame rail. This way they are sprayed at the same time and I can ensure the underside where Raptor liner was sprayed is covered with tape evenly on both sides as some of the tape lifted while I was blowing off the sanding dust.
20210427_172027_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
annoying but at least you got it straightened out. Better than giving the paint to someone else and having them spray then you show up and it's wrong...definitely could have been a lot worse!

Man, that's the truth DSG. Could you imagine if that would have happened? I would be so pissed. I guess this goes back to the old saying... "If you want something done right, do it yourself." LOL.

Grabber70Mach

Established Member
Man, that's the truth DSG. Could you imagine if that would have happened? I would be so pissed. I guess this goes back to the old saying... "If you want something done right, do it yourself." LOL.
Sounds like the condensed version of my life. I trust basically no one with the exception of family and a few close friends.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Sounds like the condensed version of my life. I trust basically no one with the exception of family and a few close friends.

Yeah, I'm kind of learning that lesson the hard way on some things (i.e. walking out of the paint store and assuming they got it right the first time) LMAO!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

Got back to work on the car yesterday after work. Holy crap it's a lot of work when you are sanding EVERY day. Don't know how people who work at body shops can do this for a living.

However, after the sanding is done the panels are so smooth and nice. Can't believe how easy the micro fiber towel glides over the panel when applying wax and grease remover.

So, I got the driver's side frame rail sanded. Then I reapplied 2K primer on the driver's and passenger frame rails along with the motor mounts and cross member. Oh, I also did some work to the front of the radiator support. Now all I need to do is finish the firewall. Once that's done I'll give the entire engine bay one more coat of 2K primer, sand with 400 grit and she will be ready for color.
Sweet.jpg

Driver's side frame rail after body work. Ready for 2K primer.
20210428_172010_resized.jpg

Passenger side frame rail.
20210428_172022_resized.jpg

Body work completed on radiator support.
20210428_172031_resized.jpg

2K primer applied. Love this clean and smooth look. Should look really good once the color and clear coat are applied.
20210428_175328_resized.jpg

20210428_175340_resized.jpg

20210428_175355_resized.jpg

20210428_175415_resized.jpg

20210428_175422_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Every time I look as this thread I get more glad we don't park next to each other at the show.

LMAO!!!! I hate to admit it Bob, but I have a grudge to settle with MBTB. I have gone twice and have never received a plaque, trophy or even a certificate LMAO!!!!

So, when I take this car I'm hoping I blow people out of the water with it LMAO!!!!

Yes, I know it's a lot of money to spend to receive a plaque/trophy ROFLMAO!!!!

I hope you know I'm just kidding. I get more enjoyment out of hearing people's comments rather than winning a plaque or trophy. And I'm pretty sure this car will generate some comments at the next MBTB show :D.

Users who are viewing this thread