Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello everyone,

Looking for some opinions here.

The front grill cover, I have always had the idea of putting some sort of graphic on it to kind of break up the paint/smoothness. Meaning it will look kind of plain to me when it's all done.

My initial idea was to kind of mimic the side stripe by placing G.T. 427 in the center of the panel and then placing the stripes around it.

Something like this is what I'm talking about. The problem with this is I already have 427 emblems on the valve covers and 427 is a little prominent around the car already (side stripes, glove box, taillight panel). Don't want people saying "Man, this guy really wants you to know he has a 427." LMAO!!!! This is just a DRAFT, the stripe would go all the way across.
GT 427.jpg

So, I found this Carrol Shelby signature graphic. I think it is large enough to break up the area like I want and it pays homage to the man who really put the Mustang on the map. The picture really does not show how well it displays here (Imagine everything painted red and just the black signature with the black Ringbrothers hardware).

Personally I really like this, but I do realize sometimes less is more. However, I also try to do things others don't and I know this is something Dave Kindig would not do LOL.

Anyway, I was wondering what you guys think or if you have a different idea? Please let me know what your thoughts are on this.
20210416_072737_resized.jpg

20210416_072725_resized.jpg

20210416_072711_resized.jpg

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If it were me I'd wait on adding anything. Once you get everything together it might not look as plain as you think it will.

If you do decide on a graphic I would go with the signature over the stripe. The stripe doesn't flow well to me in that spot.

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
If it were me I'd wait on adding anything. Once you get everything together might not look as plain as you think it will.

If you do decide on a graphic I would go with the signature over the stripe. The stripe doesn't flow well to me in that spot.

Thank you for the feedback Bob. I will not place the graphic on the car until it is complete. It would be a "final touch" kind of thing. And I am leaning towards the signature. Thanks again brother!

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I do like the gt427, as that’s your car, it’s not a Shelby, it’s better. Don’t get me wrong, love shelbys. But you one upped it several times over and should be your car

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I do like the gt427, as that’s your car, it’s not a Shelby, it’s better. Don’t get me wrong, love shelbys. But you one upped it several times over and should be your car.

WOW, thank you geoffmt! That's a hell of a complement to receive. I do understand your point, but the side stripes are already part of the Shelby heritage. I also have badges/emblems that say 427 Shelby that are on the glove box and will be on the taillight panel. So, I kind of already went there LOL.

I do believe I am building a one of a kind and unique Mustang. But I also like to keep traits that are historically Mustang. So, although I'm not trying to make my car a Shelby, I do have things that come from Shelby Mustangs.

Not, trying to make my car a Shelby, but be in the same class of badass Mustangs. Thank you for your feedback and awesome compliment geoffmt. Greatly appreciated my friend!

Lastly,, if Carrol were alive today, do you think he would sign my car? Lol. :D.....

Last edited:

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
WOW, thank you geoffmt! That's a hell of a complement to receive. I do understand your point, but the side stripes are already part of the Shelby heritage. I also have badges/emblems that say 427 Shelby that are on the glove box and will be on the taillight panel. So, I kind of already went there LOL.

I do believe I am building a one of a kind and unique Mustang. But I also like to keep traits that are historically Mustang. So, although I'm not trying to make my car a Shelby, I do have things that come from Shelby Mustangs.

Not, trying to make my car a Shelby, but be in the same class of badass Mustangs. Thank you for your feedback and awesome compliment geoffmt. Greatly appreciated my friend!

Lastly,, if Carrol were alive today, do you think he would sign my car? Lol. :D.....

He absolutely would

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello everyone,

Was a fun weekend. I got my Speedhut gauges installed in my cluster and mounted in my dash temporarily. I also had the body shop guy come over on Saturday. He did "NOT" start work, but reevaluated my set up with the engine out and everything removed. He asked me to try and fix a couple spots and he said he would be at my house the following Saturday at 0800 to start.

So, on Sunday I tried to fix a major bad spot. I got it decent, but want the expert there to finish it off.

This is what I accomplished.

Test fitting my Speedhut gauges in the bezel. I did not like this look. The bezel looks like a funnel/cone. So, I felt it covered too much of the gauge. So, out comes the Dremel and I cut the back of the bezel to expose more of the gauge.
20210416_102214_resized.jpg

Here you can see how much more of the gauge is exposed. Much better.
20210416_124913_resized.jpg

Everything in place after minor surgery on the bezel LOL. At first I was wondering if this was better than my original Autometer set up as my Autometer's had a lot more silver in them and matched my bezel better.
20210416_144548_resized.jpg

Then I installed my new Speedhut gauges in the car and realized, hell yes it is much better LOL. Looks WAY better with all matching gauges. Thank you guys for your in put on this move.
20210417_153504_resized.jpg

Night time mode they look even better! Love this look.....
20210417_154106_resized_1.jpg

Just another angel.
20210417_154122_resized.jpg

Then it was time to do body work on Sunday. This was the bad spot the body guy wanted me to try and fix. This was a pretty significant crack. So, I decided to sand off the entire section back to bare metal.
20210418_143114.jpg

This time I decided to use fiberglass on this area as a base. This area needed a little more body filler than I was comfortable with. Also, this stuff is VERY strong compared to the body filler.
20210418_125738_resized.jpg

After I sanded the fiberglass I put a layer of body filler. I sanded a lot of this back off. This time it should hold up as it is stronger and there is less body filler. So, the risk of cracking this time has been significantly reduced.
20210418_132425_resized.jpg

Here you can see I sanded so much I got back down to the fiberglass. The black circles are the spots that need more attention. However, I want the body guy here to help me finalize this area. I want him to make it smooth and straight and ready for the epoxy primer or at least show me how to make it that way. The entire engine bay needs to be finalized, but he said we can get it done in a day since I did the majority of the hard part.
20210418_140035_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Oh. on another note.... I'm "supposed" to get my center console back today. I'll believe it when I see it. Fingers crossed though LOL.....:D

Okay, UPDATE as of this afternoon. Was told the upholstery shop is bonding the cover to the center console. They want to let it sit over night and deliver it tomorrow.

That's good news, but as mentioned before.... I'll believe it when I see it LOL.

Last edited:

Grabber70Mach

Established Member
Definitely another step towards the end of the journey. Those gauges were definitely the correct decision, looks at better with them all matching.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Definitely another step towards the end of the journey. Those gauges were definitely the correct decision, looks at better with them all matching.

Thanks Grabber. I really do like the look of them. Gives it a finished look rather than a "I garbed whatever was on the shelf" look LMAO!

As I always say, I'm no professional, but the more detail I can put into this build the better the overall results I'll achieve.

I'm hoping that when it's done and someone asks me "who built this?" and I say "I did." the person walks off and says "That guys full of S#!T, no way he built that." ROFLMAO!!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Gauges look good and the engine bay is coming along nicely. Good work on the filler and sanding.
Thank you Bob! I just confirmed that the body guy will be here this weekend to help finish off the engine bay and to start the painting process. Been looking forward to this for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

In the words of Mortal Kombat... It has begun........

My body guy came over early Saturday morning. He spent the entire day helping me with the car. He finished up some body work and then he and I taped the car up and he sprayed the top portion and I got the job of laying on the ground and spraying the bottom portion LOL.

Then on Sunday I spent the day sanding the primer and fixing minor imperfections. It's not done and not ready for paint just yet, but this milestone is well on its way.

Okay, first thing I needed to do was clean the garage up to give us more space to work. I also moved the engine to the other side of the garage to keep the over spray to a minimum.
20210424_075907_resized.jpg

Here you can see the engine and I also set up a small table. This table was used as a paint station. There is a larger table that is on the opposite side of the car and that was used as the body work station (Note: I'm collecting the cardboard boxes to use as engine bay protectors once the engine bay is painted and I begin the engine installation process).
20210424_075929_resized.jpg

Here is the engine bay as I had it prior to the body guy working on it. It's a little hard to see, but the black circles/lines are marking bad spots that need some attention.
20210424_075752_resized.jpg

20210424_075813_resized.jpg

Here the body work has been completed and the car has been taped up in preparation for the painting process.
20210424_123148_resized.jpg

Here you can see the majority of the black marks have been removed as the body work was completed in those areas.
20210424_123157_resized.jpg

20210424_123203_resized.jpg

Body work started on the grill cover.
20210424_103401_resized.jpg

20210424_103405_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
The first step was to spray the epoxy primer to cover the bare metal and give the 2K primer something to bite on to. This is the same stuff I used on the bottom of the car before I sprayed the Raptor liner.

White epoxy primer sprayed. Man, it is so good seeing the engine bay in one solid color after almost one year of working on this LOL.
20210424_130909_resized.jpg

20210424_130859_resized.jpg

20210424_132026_resized.jpg

20210424_132038_resized.jpg

Here the 2K grey primer was applied. We only put 2K primer where color will be applied. The areas where Raptor liner will be sprayed in the fender wells was left epoxy white.
20210424_143201_resized.jpg

20210424_143214_resized.jpg

20210424_143223_resized.jpg

Here you can see my body guy in the background applying a second coat of 2K primer.
20210424_133407_resized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread