Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Hello Bob! Yes sir. Once the engine bay is painted I'm going to focus on the engine. I need to paint the block and then start final assembly. I need to install the oil pump, pilot bearing and then put the parts on "WITH" the gaskets installed this time. Then I'll get the engine and transmission installed for the final time and then run the wiring and then finalize everything and see if I can get her to fire up LOL.

So, still a long ways to go brother.

I didn't mean for it to sound like you're a couple weeks away from firing it up. I just imagine there's a sense of relief when you know you're bolting something on and it's staying in place for good.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I didn't mean for it to sound like you're a couple weeks away from firing it up. I just imagine there's a sense of relief when you know you're bolting something on and it's staying in place for good.

Oh no sir. I didn't get that impression at all. I just said that I had a long ways to go after everything I listed LOL. That statement was more for me. Sorry brother!

And you are correct. I have been telling everyone that once the engine bay is painted the project will be over the hump and I'll be going downhill from there. This whole build was based around installing the Mustang II front suspensions and getting the engine bay smooth and painted. In that regard I can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I just kind of took off when it came to the rear-end, brakes, transmission, fuel system, electronics and the other stuff (i.e. Speedhut gauges and center console) LOL. Those things were kind of born out of the mind set of....... "Well, since I'm here might as well......." LOL.

Grabber70Mach

Established Member
Nice you'll be there before you know it, that's light at the end of the tunnel.
d545b6628f5fe91c5c8d8c8a8d8084f6.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
So I see disassemble for paint as a step forward that does look like going backwards. But still a forward step! Your powdercoat guy is awesome, great quick fix with no loss of time! I love seeing the progress, being laid up I wish for the energy and motivation for projects. Maybe that will be better next month. Thanks for sticking with it, you are getting so close!

Hello geoffmt. I hear you and agree in the overall situation it is a step forward. All the mock up is completed and now it is time to finalize parts with modifications (i.e. rerouting my rack tubes in order to clear the oil pan), adding seals or paint/powder coating parts to get them looking better or put in a color I want to match my scheme. It just looks like I'm going backwards since I've already been here with the engine bay empty and full of body filler LOL.

I agree my powder coater is great. To be honest he is motivating me. I look at the engine bay and want to get started painting, but it's not ready yet. So, I look forward to seeing my parts powder coated and ready to go back on the car for good. And having nice/freshly powder coated parts sitting on my bench and ready to go back on the car is great/motivating :D...

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

My powder coater did it again. I dropped off some items when I picked up my steering column. Obviously he enjoyed Easter with his family, but yesterday he was right back at it.

I turned in my front sway bar and mounting hardware. The mounting hardware had that gold protective coating on them and the bar itself was powder coated black.

He said he needed to soak the bar in acid in order to remove the black powder coating.

So, he calls me last night and said everything was ready. I did not take before photos, but here is what was done.

I had the sway bar itself done in a mirror silver finish because it will be seen when looking down near the front of the engine. Therefore, it will now match my bell housing and oil pan and the overall color scheme of the engine instead of having everything silver and red and then a black sway bar yuck LOL.

(BTW, I was using the super lube on the upper steering shaft bearing. I don't think that thing has seen any lubricant since 1965 LOL).
20210405_182620_resized.jpg

I had the hardware powder coated in the hammer tone finish to match my suspension components. My powder coater also took the time to add a clear powder coat over the top. Damn, they look sweet!
20210405_182644_resized.jpg

It's almost a shame these parts will be hidden under the car LOL.
20210405_182635_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello everyone,

Well yesterday was an awesome car day for me. This is how my day went:

1. Noon: Tubes n Hoses place calls and says my rack is ready for pick up
  2. 3PM: Upholsterer calls and says he needs my hand held so he can create the pocket in my console for it
  3. 5PM: Fabricator comes over and finishes welding in steering plate/bung
  4. 6PM: Receive email notification that my Speedhut gauges have been shipped. They will arrive tomorrow.

SWEET!!!!

Here is my rack when I dropped it off. I needed the tube at an angle rerouted and the other tube lowered in order to clear my oil pan.
20210405_111628_resized.jpg

Here is how I received it back. Both tubes are now out of the way and should clear my oil pan easily. This cost me $140. Can you imagine how much I would have to pay if I didn't bend all my brake lines myself ? LOL.... I'm really happy with the results.
20210406_211426_resized.jpg

Here is the finished steering plate/bung. The fabricator used my welder. It's amazing how well the welder works for him and how bad it works for me LMAO!!!! I don't know. It could be the welder/operator......
20210406_172740_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
DAMN IT!!!! Got a little too happy a little too fast LMAO.

I just looked at my rack and realized I moved one of the tubes in the wrong direction. Instead of moving it AWAY from the oil pan all I did was slide it FORWARD on the oil pan. So, in it's current configuration the oil pan will still hit. $#!t.......

I already coordinated with the tubes and hoses place in order to fix this. Guess I should have looked at the pictures to make sure rather than guesstimating from memory like I did.

Oh well, it's only time and money SMH......

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay, Tubes n hoses place called and said they got my tube rerouted again. This time we should be good.

It was only a $60 mistake. OUCH!!!!!

Oh well, I can't complain too much. Very few mistakes have been made on this build so far.

Knock on wood.....LOL.....

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

Got my rack back from the tubes n hoses place. Looks like I'm good now.

Here you can see the interference between the oil pan and rack tubes. Look at the rack and you will see how far the tubes need to be lowered. The fin and block on the aluminum side of the rack is my reference point.
20210407_084924_resized.jpg

Here you can see how far the tubes have been lowered. When comparing it to the picture above it looks like it will clear since the tubes are now even with the fin and block on the aluminum side of the rack. Barely clear, but clear LOL.
20210407_190538_resized.jpg

20210407_190635_resized.jpg

Looks like plenty of room from this angle for the front of the oil pan to drop in there.
20210407_190646_resized.jpg

Here is the side angle to show just how far the tubes were moved down. Fingers crossed this will work when I put it back together and everything is painted.....
20210407_190734_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

Small parts keep arriving and we will stick with the steering theme.

On my last set up the bottom of my steering shaft tube only had a rubber grommet and the shaft was centered on the steering box. With my new set up and having a steering shaft that needs support (I.e. why the heim joint bung and plate was welded in) I felt I needed more than the rubber grommet with this current set up.

When my fabricator was initially welding in my heim joint set up he "did" ask where the shaft bearing was when he looked at the grommet. I told him it never had one and he highly recommended I get one. So, I found that Mustang Steve makes a bearing that you can install at the end of the steering shaft tube in order to support the steering shaft itself for set ups like mine. So, I purchased it and it arrived yesterday. Man, I love businesses like Mustang Steve, Mustangs to Fear and Street or Track. They all make some great stuff for the classic Mustang's.

So, I mocked up my steering shaft last night and with a bearing to support the top and bottom of the steering shaft that thing works GREAT.

20210408_171841_resized.jpg

That bearing is a very nice piece. It even comes with a lip that goes right up against the tube for a clean install and places the bearing exactly where it needs to be.
20210408_171810_resized.jpg

Sweet! Everything fits and looks great. Will definitely look good in the engine bay.
20210408_171818_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
That does look like a clean installation of the bearing. Isn't it great when parts fit/work as advertised.

Yes sir. According to the description it indicated the bearing would need to be pressed into the steering tube. However, I did not have to press mine in. It went in with a little resistance, but not much. I was worried about it slipping out due to vibration, but after I put the steering coupler on it actually holds the bearing in place.

So, all is good and everything rotates together and there is no binding or friction. Awesome....

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello everyone,

Well, it was a good weekend, but I could only work on the car on Saturday. I had to go help my dad do some stuff on Sunday.......

Things started Friday night. I received my Speedhut gauges. I wanted to install them into my bezel while watching TV Friday night, but they did not fit my Autometer adapter. So, I ordered the bezel adapter from Speedhut. Once it arrives I'll be able to install them.

They do look great though.

20210409_150857_resized.jpg

Man, I really like how these came out.
20210409_151217_resized.jpg

These are going to look amazing in my bezel.
20210409_151654_resized.jpg

I wanted to swap these out, but the adapter was made for Autometer gauges, not the Speedhut. The Speedhut gauges are not as thick as the Autometers. Once I receive my new adapter I'll be able to install the new Speedhut gauges. Wu sa Wu sa...... Patience LMAO!!!
20210409_180611_resized.jpg

On another note; I have to do some finale metal work on the engine bay. So, I needed to remount my fenders to test fit some parts.
20210409_124836_resized.jpg

I love how this car looks with the fenders on. Had to install my grill support as well. You'll see why....
20210409_124827_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay, Here was my Saturday project.

I needed to weld some hardware on to my radiator support in order to install a couple covers. However, I needed to do some mock up to make sure it fits. One is a grill cover and the other will be a radiator cover my fabricator will make.

Here you can see the grill cover put in place. Need to mark to holes and drill the radiator support.
20210409_122126_resized.jpg

Got the hardware installed for the grill cover. You can see my fender bolt hardware in this shot. I got these from Ringbrothers. So, I went back to them for the grill and radiator cover bolts. As @01yellercobra says, the small details will add up. Trying to take that to heart.
20210409_124555_resized.jpg

Once I got the cover on I was wondering how the hood would cover it. So, I put it on and it covers very well. So, it's good to go. During this mock up I reached under the hood and felt between the hood and radiator support to see where I had room for the radiator cover hardware.
20210409_204450_resized.jpg

Here you can see the holes drilled for where the hardware will fit between the radiator support and hood. I took measurements and placed them all 4.5 inches apart and made sure the bolrs were centered on the radiator support.
20210410_102340_resized.jpg

Hardware in place. The ones for the grill cover are 1/4 inch and the ones for the radiator are 5/16 inch just like my fender bolts.
20210410_103248_resized.jpg

Here you can see the fenders were removed again. I welded the nuts on the back side of the radiator support so I can just screw the bolts in without having to hold the nuts whe it comes time to install everything while the radiator is in the way. Once everything was done and fitting well, I decided to drill the holes in the grill cover so I could reinstall the hood pins. I'm really happy with how this project came out. I think once it's painted and all the hardware is reinstalled it will look great.
20210410_140510_resized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread