Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Damn it!!! When you're right you're right and you guys are right LMAO!!! As you can tell I have already been thinking about it which is why I asked the question.....Hopefully I will not have too much trouble selling my old gauges because selling those will really ease the pain of buying new ones LOL.

Oh and for the record I already have everything set up in my cart over at Speedhut. I knew you guys were going to say make them match LMAO!!!
Out of sight, out of mind my friend. LOL. I also like the idea of matching gauges.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Out of sight, out of mind my friend. LOL. I also like the idea of matching gauges.

Thank you Bob. Yeah, as mentioned earlier, I have been imagining having all Speedhut gauges installed and lit up and in my mind it looks great. Then again, a lot of things in my mind look great LMAO!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Well, got off the phone with my fabricator and he said to bring the car down this Saturday to get the steering shaft welded in and mounted up. SWEET! I love progress.

I've been so excited about the project I created this sort of midway point video collage.

I think it came out awesome! I know some of you may not be into the music, but I love it. I also think @tones_RS3 will be pleased again LMAO!!!

I hope you all enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed making it :D. So, crank it up and put it on full screen......

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great video collage. I think the music fit the video well. High energy tune. High energy assembly. High energy Mustang.
upload_2021-3-23_22-38-8.png

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Hello Everyone,

Well, got off the phone with my fabricator and he said to bring the car down this Saturday to get the steering shaft welded in and mounted up. SWEET! I love progress.

I've been so excited about the project I created this sort of midway point video collage.

I think it came out awesome! I know some of you may not be into the music, but I love it. I also think @tones_RS3 will be pleased again LMAO!!!

I hope you all enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed making it :D. So, crank it up and put it on full screen......

Good stuff brother!! Car looks amazing. Clean engine bay.
What engine are you using?

W.A.S.P.
It had it cranking bro. \m/

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Good stuff brother!! Car looks amazing. Clean engine bay.
What engine are you using?

W.A.S.P.
It had it cranking bro. \m/

Thanks tones! I'm running a 351W based engine stroked to a 427. Hoping to crack 500HP naturally aspirated. Would love to reach 600HP, but I think my heads will not flow enough to get there. They are great heads, but they came off my 347. So, I think they will be my restriction to the 600HP level.

LOL, my wife thinks I'm crazy. I created the video on my laptop. However, after I loaded it to YouTube I watched it on my TV playing it through the stereo. I had it blasting. Needless to say the wife was looking at me like I lost my mind LMAO!!! But, I thoroughly enjoyed the video LOL.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks tones! I'm running a 351W based engine stroked to a 427. Hoping to crack 500HP naturally aspirated. Would love to reach 600HP, but I think my heads will not flow enough to get there. They are great heads, but they came off my 347. So, I think they will be my restriction to the 600HP level.

LOL, my wife thinks I'm crazy. I created the video on my laptop. However, after I loaded it to YouTube I watched it on my TV playing it through the stereo. I had it blasting. Needless to say the wife was looking at me like I lost my mind LMAO!!! But, I thoroughly enjoyed the video LOL.
HA HAAAAAAAA
Great video. I thought it was awesome.

Car looks great man. How long has this process been?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Car looks great man. How long has this process been?

Okay get ready for the history lesson of this build LOL.

I actually built the car the first time in 2010. Did the body work, interior and engine bay. That's why the car is already painted. However, in 2015 I blew my 347 on nitrous. So, I sold the entire drivetrain out of the car to a friend who was building a 66 Mustang coupe and put the car up on a home built dolly and covered it up (first pictures in the video).

Then I decided in the beginning of 2020 I was going to rebuild the car. I started making preparations in Jan 2020. Then COVID hit and everyone was basically on lockdown, so I officially started to build the car in May 2020. Been working on it every weekend and during any spare time I have since.

The plan this time was to do things I wanted in 2010, but didn't have the tools, experience or money back then. Paint and interior was basically going to stay the same with some additions (changing side stripe to say G.T. 427 and adding a center console and Speedhut gauges to the interior).

The major changes were cutting out the shock towers and installing a Mustangs to Fear front suspension. Rebuilding the under carriage, adding a better powertrain (427 with 8 stack fuel injection, TKO600 with McLeod 26 spline clutch, aluminum drive shaft, Ford 9 inch with 3:88 gears) and upgrading my brakes to 4 wheel disc.

Then the idea of making everything smooth and clean came into play. So, I removed the electronics from the engine bay and placed them under the dash. I smoothed the firewall and I routed my brake lines and hydraulic clutch line out the side of the engine bay to keep things clean and smooth. The wires for my front lights will be mounted under the fender well and any engine wiring (i.e. coolant temperature sensor, oil pressure sensor and any wiring dealing with the fuel injection) will be ran to the back of the engine and enter the car in the transmission tunnel area as to minimize its exposure.

And this is where I'm at now. So, if anyone reads this post and watches my collage video they will be up to date on my plans and progress to this point in time :D.

Thanks for asking tones. As mentioned before I really do enjoy talking with people about this build. Glad to know some folks here on SVT are interested in the classic Mustangs as well.

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Okay get ready for the history lesson of this build LOL.

I actually built the car the first time in 2010. Did the body work, interior and engine bay. That's why the car is already painted. However, in 2015 I blew my 347 on nitrous. So, I sold the entire drivetrain out of the car to a friend who was building a 66 Mustang coupe and put the car up on a home built dolly and covered it up (first pictures in the video).

Then I decided in the beginning of 2020 I was going to rebuild the car. I started making preparations in Jan 2020. Then COVID hit and everyone was basically on lockdown, so I officially started to build the car in May 2020. Been working on it every weekend and during any spare time I have since.

The plan this time was to do things I wanted in 2010, but didn't have the tools, experience or money back then. Paint and interior was basically going to stay the same with some additions (changing side stripe to say G.T. 427 and adding a center console and Speedhut gauges to the interior).

The major changes were cutting out the shock towers and installing a Mustangs to Fear front suspension. Rebuilding the under carriage, adding a better powertrain (427 with 8 stack fuel injection, TKO600 with McLeod 26 spline clutch, aluminum drive shaft, Ford 9 inch with 3:88 gears) and upgrading my brakes to 4 wheel disc.

Then the idea of making everything smooth and clean came into play. So, I removed the electronics from the engine bay and placed them under the dash. I smoothed the firewall and I routed my brake lines and hydraulic clutch line out the side of the engine bay to keep things clean and smooth. The wires for my front lights will be mounted under the fender well and any engine wiring (i.e. coolant temperature sensor, oil pressure sensor and any wiring dealing with the fuel injection) will be ran to the back of the engine and enter the car in the transmission tunnel area as to minimize its exposure.

And this is where I'm at now. So, if anyone reads this post and watches my collage video they will be up to date on my plans and progress to this point in time :D.

Thanks for asking tones. As mentioned before I really do enjoy talking with people about this build. Glad to know some folks here on SVT are interested in the classic Mustangs as well.
That's awesome man.
I wish I had your knowledge. lol I would be building myself a '70 Chevelle pro-touring car. Doesn't have to be a SS car or numbers matching. Just a clean body to start with. But, I have neither the knowledge or the cash to pay for a build like that.

Keep us posted!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
That's awesome man.
I wish I had your knowledge. lol I would be building myself a '70 Chevelle pro-touring car. Doesn't have to be a SS car or numbers matching. Just a clean body to start with. But, I have neither the knowledge or the cash to pay for a build like that.

Keep us posted!

Believe me tones, it took a while for me to get here. I have actually owned this car since 1989. When I built it in 2010 I didn't have the knowledge or money to build it the way I wanted. Even now I wish I could modernize the interior a little more, but funds only go so far LOL.

Yes sir, I work on the car every weekend and try to post updates every Monday. So, Monday's are the best days to check in here for updates brother.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Enjoyed the pictorial journey Sir, But View attachment 1695829
Sorry I'm usually on your side but your on your own here. LOL

I hear you Grabber and if there was a poll taken I believe you are this threads number 1 fan!

I knew that music wasn't going to appeal to everyone, but it fits me and my style perfectly. So, I understand you leaving me on my own with that choice LOL.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello everyone,

Well it was a VERY productive weekend. I'm still wore out LMAO.

As mentioned I took the car to my fabricator to get the steering shaft heim joint welded in. This means all the metal in the engine bay will be completed and now I can disassemble the car in order to finish the body work and get the engine bay painted.

I cleaned everything off the car Friday night.
20210326_214751_resized_1.jpg

20210326_214956_resized_1.jpg

I told my wife I needed to put a couple parts in the living room while the car was being worked on. I snapped this picture Saturday morning. Now this is how a living room should look. The hood, front grill support and front valance decorating the living room. I love it, but my wife was not very happy LMAO!!! Oh, and my front fenders are down on the right side of this picture too (out of view) LOL.
20210327_092703_resized_1.jpg

Got the car down on the wheel dolly's so it can be positioned.
20210327_102430_resized_1.jpg

It hasn't been in this spot since last May.
20210327_102724_resized_1.jpg

I love this picture. She's getting ready to come out of the garage for the first time since 2015.
20210327_102738_resized_1.jpg

Here she is up on the trailer. Just need to strap her down and take her on her trip to the fabricator.
20210327_105032_resized_1.jpg

Man that car looks great in the sun.
20210327_105107_resized_1.jpg

What better way to go than to be towed by a Cadillac LOL......
20210327_110221_resized_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread