Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Bullitt1448

Established Member
All looking good as usual, congrats on the progress. Wiring can be such a pain to do and with 99% of it hidden from view it is often tempting to take shortcuts. It is always a pleasure to open up a panel down the road and find nice, neat and tidy wiring that you can easily follow.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay, as mentioned above.....

I got the mounting of the overflow tank/bottle done relatively early. So, I jumped back on the wiring. Decided to wire up my stereo wiring harness. After I did that I decided to reinstall my center console and see if it worked.

Needless to say I'm VERY happy with how it turned out :D...........

While the system is powering up it displays a "logo" screen. I picked this for now, but it does have a slot for an SD card. Going to see if I can upload a different logo later.
20210313_151101_resized.jpg

This is the front screen.
20210313_151124_resized.jpg

This is the CD screen. I put a CD in just to test it out. This system also has Bluetooth. So, I linked my phone and it works great. I even placed a jumper wire on my back up light harness and the backup camera works as well. I didn't take a picture because my car is soo close to the wall the screen only displays white LOL.

20210313_153321_resized.jpg

I took this picture and started to wonder what it would look like with my instrument cluster installed. I'm really liking how this is starting to look.
20210313_153933_resized.jpg

After installing my instrument cluster I noticed I only put 887 miles on the car from the time I finished the build until I blew the motor :(.
20210312_141137_resized.jpg

Turned the key to the "run" position and even my volt gauge works.
20210312_141215_resized.jpg

Just an overall view.
20210313_154941_resized.jpg

And this will be my view at night. I was able to figure out how to make my stereo buttons light up red. SWEET!
20210313_155007_resized.jpg

In case anyone was wondering. This is the CD I played to test the system. I believe @tones_RS3 would be pleased LOL.
20210313_154521_resized.jpg

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I would put a 90 degree fitting in the bottom of the overflow tank and connect the hose there. Then it'll work like a normal expansion tank and you'll never have to drain anything.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
All looking good as usual, congrats on the progress. Wiring can be such a pain to do and with 99% of it hidden from view it is often tempting to take shortcuts. It is always a pleasure to open up a panel down the road and find nice, neat and tidy wiring that you can easily follow.

Thank you Bullitt! My wife can't understand my ability to wire. She says she sees all those wires and it gives her a headache just looking at it LMAO! I hear you on it being a pain, but I just sit there and grab one wire at a time, route it, connect it and then ensure it is cleaned up and doesn't look like a rats nest. Obviously I'm not even close to finishing up the wiring, but I feel I'm ahead of the game right now since I'm waiting on my fabricator to fit me into his schedule.

I'm glad you appreciate good clean wiring. I'm a bit OCD on this build. I'm no professional and my wiring overall my not be to Dave Kindig's standard, but I believe it is very nice for a garage build.

And, as usual, I really appreciate everyone's feedback and comments. I really do enjoy talking about this build with you guys!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I would put a 90 degree fitting in the bottom of the overflow tank and connect the hose there. Then it'll work like a normal expansion tank and you'll never have to drain anything.

That's an interesting point Bob. I didn't look at it that way. I purchased this overflow as is. Meaning the hose barb and drain plug were already installed. So, I just mounted it as it came from the manufacturer. However, your point is intriguing. I may have to explore that option and see how it works.

Again, I enjoy this conversation. Lot's of good input and points of view.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
looking good! Seeing things come to life certainly gives some motivation

Thank you DSG! My wife thinks I'm weird because after I finish working on the car I go relax for a while. Then I go back in the garage and admire my work LMAO!!! But, I just like to see things working on the car.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
And yes,............tones is pleased!!! LOL
\m/

Looking good bro. I like the gauges and screen!

LOL, I thought you would be. I just discovered the app Spotify. Been downloading music like crazy. Already made a playlist to play once the car is running and I go cruising. My wife laughs at me and says I won't even be able to hear the stereo with the motor running. LMAO!!!

Thanks for the feedback Tones. Appreciate it brother!!

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
LOL, I thought you would be. I just discovered the app Spotify. Been downloading music like crazy. Already made a playlist to play once the car is running and I go cruising. My wife laughs and me and says I won't even be able to hear the stereo with the motor running. LMAO!!!

Thanks for the feedback Tones. Appreciate it brother!!
HA HAAAAAAAAAAA
:D

Fun times brother. Fun times. Enjoy.

Grabber70Mach

Established Member
Nice progress, really like the interior shot with the Gauges and console lit up. Wiring can be tedious and fun, but Oh so rewarding in the end when everything works as you planned. The bonus is knowing you did it and did it right so you know it'll last.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Nice progress, really like the interior shot with the Gauges and console lit up. Wiring can be tedious and fun, but Oh so rewarding in the end when everything works as you planned. The bonus is knowing you did it and did it right so you know it'll last.

Hello Grabber! You didn't post up yesterday. I almost sent out a search party as you are normally the first to reply to my updates LOL.

Thank you. I really like looking at it lit up too. Reminds me of when I used to drive the car LOL.

It's funny you mention the "I" did it and did it "right" comment. The very first day I hooked up the battery I kept going in the garage to check on the car to make sure nothing was frying or melting or smoking. I was very nervous about hooking something up wrong or a bare wire touching or the car catching on fire due to something electrical.

The car is wired basically the same way as the factory intended, but I relocated a lot of stuff and added some relays and the Speedhut gauges and the stereo/backup camera. So, I just wanted to ensure I did it right. The good news is nothing has failed yet and no fires or smoke to report at this time, but I still have more stiff to install (i.e. line lock solenoid, cut outs, ECU, etc.).

The good news is things like the Speedhut gauges, stereo, door popper circuit and head light relays do have in line fuses installed. So, hopefully they would blow before anything major were to happen.

I guess it's just my OCD kicking in again LMAO!

Grabber70Mach

Established Member
Ah I just got swamped at work yesterday. Nothing like going in on a Monday and a major component in a system that I maintain took a dump on me. After busting my balls to get it disassembled and reassembled in a bit under 4 hours. (For reference one time I was on Vacation and it took three days for the same job to get completed.) I came back the third day and had to redo some things for it to operate correctly. Well after singing Johnny Cashs' song lyrics to myself.

"I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real"

I decided that I definitely hurt so I sat in my chair and stared at the TV watching Street Outlaws, then turned in for the night. I'll try not to worry you again. LOL.

OCD I understand that, I'll do something and go back multiple times to verify I did it correctly and the best I could.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay all,

I have come to the realization that pretty soon I'm going to have to start uploading videos and posting them here.

So, in order to practice I took a quick video of my driver's side door popper operation.

This is not long and it's nothing special. I'm just trying to figure out how to take video, upload it to YouTube and post it here for you guys.

I think it's going to work out nicely :D.......

Users who are viewing this thread