Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I hear you Bob. My 65 has no seat belts at all. That's the way it came and that's how I put it back. However, after watching this video I realized I upgraded the rest of my car so I need to upgrade the safety restraints as well. Going to see if my fabricator can put in a bolt in roll bar behind the seats with a cross bar for a harness set up.

However, I "DO" have an emergency brake. Installed that because the car is manual now. Back when it was an automatic however, I did "not" have an emergency brake.

When I seen Shawn smash his face on the dash that was a serious wake up call for me. That was a true accident. He wasn't speeding, no one cut him off, no one ran a red light, he had a systems failure that caused the accident. Scary as hell in my opinion.

Since I built my car myself I triple checked all the major components. Even rolling the car out of the garage under idle and the brakes not really working was scary. I realized really quick the brakes were not right and needed attention ASAP. Now everything is good to go. Car even passed the Texas safety/tech inspection.

I feel VERY safe in my car, but now I have to upgrade my restraint system ASAP.

You are right Bob, comments are very brutal. People telling the guy to stay off the road. Saying he didn't care about the safety of others and people saying he should be sued for everything he has and be in prison. It was an accident and this is why insurance exists. Don't know why people feel he did this on purpose or think he is negligent.

When I was watching it I thought I would have gone right and went on the grass/curb. But there could have been a pedestrian there and someone could have been killed.

Definitely an experience we can all learn from, but I think he did his best given the circumstances.
At least you're considering the harness. Smart. And, like you said, you DO have an emergency brake. (y) One thing about the negative comments towards the Comet owner/driver, we ALL make mistakes. Heck, we all take chances at some point that we shouldn't. We overlook stuff we shouldn't overlook and as long as everything "works", we're either happy or lose touch with what we're chancing. Sometimes it's something we've just plain overlooked or ignored unintentionally. Shit happens! I'd bet that a good number of those critics did something not-so-smart in their adult life. At least once. You can bet that he has learned from his mistakes and I expect that when he repairs his car that he'll install an emergency brake and seat harness. And be consciously of warning signs. Better to (always) be safe than to be sorry!

You do pay considerable attention to details, Glenn, and I'm sure to safety as well.

Your Mustang looks awesome on the trailer. And I love the 'GT 427' license plate.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
At least you're considering the harness. Smart. And, like you said, you DO have an emergency brake. (y) One thing about the negative comments towards the Comet owner/driver, we ALL make mistakes. Heck, we all take chances at some point that we shouldn't. We overlook stuff we shouldn't overlook and as long as everything "works", we're either happy or lose touch with what we're chancing. Sometimes it's something we've just plain overlooked or ignored unintentionally. Shit happens! I'd bet that a good number of those critics did something not-so-smart in their adult life. At least once. You can bet that he has learned from his mistakes and I expect that when he repairs his car that he'll install an emergency brake and seat harness. And be consciously of warning signs. Better to (always) be safe than to be sorry!

You do pay considerable attention to details, Glenn, and I'm sure to safety as well.

Your Mustang looks awesome on the trailer. And I love the 'GT 427' license plate.

Thank you Bob! Really appreciate your kind words my friend. I try to pay attention to detail, but still have work to do LOL...

Yeah, I was VERY lucky on the plate. I was VERY surprised it was available. During my last go round I wanted GT 347 for my plate, but it was not available.

The guy did have a harness Bob. However, Shawn said they did not put them on because they were only doing rolling shots (low speed) of the car during that time. So, they only put the lap belts on. Maybe the lap belts heled a little, but both of those guys still sustained some pretty bad injuries.

And I agree with you 100%. A lot of those comments are uncalled for and ridiculous as a matter of fact. We have all done dumb stuff and have gotten away with it, while other have not. I don't think the guy went out there recklessly. Yes, there were red flags, but I don't think he thought his brakes would fail.

Anyway, it was a wake up call for me and now I'm trying to do things to increase the safety of my 65.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I have had my throttle get stuck wide open from the floor mat sliding forward, that will wake you up a bit at 750rwhp. I had the room to make my corrections so all was well. His brakes were what, 17 years old? Fluid needs to be flushed every other year on track cars to keep fluid fresh to avoid the boil of fluid and the dead pedal. Most people will overlook that and the outcome sucked but at least everyone survived and recovered. Seatbelts are great with a shoulder harness or a 4 or 5pt setup is even better. Remember to bleed your brakes every couple years and push fresh fluid through

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

mariusvt

Established Member
I have had my throttle get stuck wide open from the floor mat sliding forward, that will wake you up a bit at 750rwhp. I had the room to make my corrections so all was well. His brakes were what, 17 years old? Fluid needs to be flushed every other year on track cars to keep fluid fresh to avoid the boil of fluid and the dead pedal. Most people will overlook that and the outcome sucked but at least everyone survived and recovered. Seatbelts are great with a shoulder harness or a 4 or 5pt setup is even better. Remember to bleed your brakes every couple years and push fresh fluid through

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Sounds like his throttle was in a state of permanent stuck since when the other guy brought up brake smell, driver said he's been riding them to maintain speed. Brakes can only take so much of that and when it mattered they were toast. It's unfortunate but when he discovered he was having to regulate speed via the brakes, he should have stopped, especially being a car guy. They got damn lucky that they were the only ones hurt.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like his throttle was in a state of permanent stuck since when the other guy brought up brake smell, driver said he's been riding them to maintain speed. Brakes can only take so much of that and when it mattered they were toast. It's unfortunate but when he discovered he was having to regulate speed via the brakes, he should have stopped, especially being a car guy. They got damn lucky that they were the only ones hurt.

i just skimmed the video but if thats true
1) what a ****ing moron
2) some lawyer is gonna have a field day

and easier said than done when its not you behind the wheel but throwing that bitch in neutral and or turning off the ignition are also options

mariusvt

Established Member
1) what a ****ing moron

and easier said than done when its not you behind the wheel but throwing that bitch in neutral and or turning off the ignition are also options
Agreed, easier to armchair quarterback it plus that car was clearly the most important thing in his life. Brags at the beginning about 2 divorces and 200k+ into it. Just another reason you'd think he'd be cautious.

C2tuck

Established Member
1) what a ****ing moron

Reminds me of the trooper and his family in California that had the stuck accelerator (floor mat) in the Toyota and all of them died. I told all my kids that day to throw that bitch in neutral and get it stopped, I’ll gladly buy you a new motor if need be.

Was really surprised the trooper called 911 and didn’t know how a vehicle worked. It’s sad, but he should have known better.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Well, this week I made a compilation video showing you 2 years of my life LOL.

Here is the video showing you where I started with the car and the complete build process.

This video is 30 minuets long and, like my other videos, has some metal music to enjoy while watching it.

So, if you like the music crank it up, if you don't hit the mute button LMAO!!!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice vid, Glenn. You should have added some narrative at the beginning and end, and maybe in between here and there. Not a lot; just enough to give the viewer a sense of your trials, challenges, and victories along that long journey. JMO.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Nice vid, Glenn. You should have added some narrative at the beginning and end, and maybe in between here and there. Not a lot; just enough to give the viewer a sense of your trials, challenges, and victories along that long journey. JMO.
Those are good suggestions Bob. However, I'm new to making videos. I just used the Microsoft picture software for this video. I don't have a video maker application on my computer. So, I don't know how to fade the pictures in and out or add what you suggested. I tried to use the description box on YouTube to kind of give some perspective on the build.

Maybe one day I'll explore video making a little closer. But thanks for taking the time to check it out and provide feedback Bob. Greatly appreciated my friend!

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Well, today was a cool day. One of the members on the vintage site contacted me and said he was local to me. So, we arranged a mini meet up today.

So, he came by my house and we talked shop/cars. Really cool guy. He has a convertible 65. I took the opportunity to take pictures of the cars side by side in front of my house.

20220716_092329.jpg

20220716_092208.jpg

20220716_094024.jpg

20220716_094051.jpg

20220716_094003.jpg

20220716_094146.jpg

20220716_094125.jpg

20220716_093948.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Nice '65 he has. What motor? I'm sure you both had a lot to talk about.
He has a 289 in it. He's running a system from MSD that has individual coil packs like the newer style motors.

Pretty cool and something different. Definitely weird seeing that wireless distributor for sure lol.

Yeah, it was pretty cool telling each other about our builds and the unique things we did.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Hello Everyone,

Well, this week I made a compilation video showing you 2 years of my life LOL.

Here is the video showing you where I started with the car and the complete build process.

This video is 30 minuets long and, like my other videos, has some metal music to enjoy while watching it.

So, if you like the music crank it up, if you don't hit the mute button LMAO!!!!
Great video man.
I watched most of it, not all of it. (I'll be honest. lol) Great music though.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Great video man.
I watched most of it, not all of it. (I'll be honest. lol) Great music though.
Thank you Tones! Yeah, I realize it's a little on the long side brother! Was hard for me to take 2 years worth of pictures and make it much shorter LOL.

However, I appreciate you taking the time to check it out. Most of it anyway LMAO!!!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I would see if you can do a regular three point with the hoop Glenn. I imagine it would be more comfortable than dealing with harnesses every time. The wife might like it better too.

Users who are viewing this thread