Black '79 Firebird in need of help

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Hey guys, I'm going to attempt to try to bring this thing back to life a little bit. It is a '79 Firebird that my Mom bought new. The paint is all original except for the drivers side front fender (One of my Mom's friends slid into it about 6 months after she got it during a snow/ice storm in Washington D.C.). My sister also drove it to high school and parked under some trees almost every day, so it got sap and bird crap and lord knows what else on it and she didn't wash it often. All of that has left the paint in the condition you see here for the most part.

So, I'm looking for suggestions. What would you do? Or is it a lost cause? I'm not looking to make it like new again because I don't think that's possible, but it can't get much worse.

Not sure who/what did this. Wasn't me.

This is the fender that got repainted....I know the spider cracks/paint fading on the edge isn't fixable, but it makes me think the paint is kinda thin, so I don't want to make that worse either.

Thanks,

Scott P

Established Member
It's single stage, so you don't have to worry about going through the clear. :) I would clay it first, tackle the sap spots with a bug and tar remover or rubbing alcohol, then hit it with a paint cleaner to remove oxidation and get a good idea of the paint's condition.

If there are swirls, I'd start with a mild polish and go from there. I assume you'll be using a machine?

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Yeah, I have a PC and also the Griots one. I will probably use the PC just cause I'm more familiar with it. I'll probably order some things from you Scott within a week or so as soon as I decide on what to use. Edit: There are some swirls but surprisingly they are not terrible.

Last edited:

Raymond

slower than you
Established Member
Yeah it doesn't surprise me that there isn't a lot of swirls, considering you said they didn't wash the car much and inproper washing is usually the main cause of the swirls. Like said above, wash/dry/clay/paint cleaner or polish, and see what you can get out of it. Should be fun!

Scott P

Established Member
Yeah, I have a PC and also the Griots one. I will probably use the PC just cause I'm more familiar with it. I'll probably order some things from you Scott within a week or so as soon as I decide on what to use. Edit: There are some swirls but surprisingly they are not terrible.

Just give me a call when you are ready to order and we can discuss your options and some techniques.

Users who are viewing this thread