Bigs and little tire help

125oh

Established Member
Pulled the trigger on some black weld rts 15x10 and 17x5 for my 12 gt .

I know this has been talked about , and I've searched but I'm still unsure what tires to run . I do know I don't want the m-h front runners cuz my last set cracked . My goals for the car this season is have some fun on the street as well as hit the track and get a 10 sec pass . My car is a m-6 so I was leaning towards bias ply but don't see many choices for fronts to match , some say just run a radial up front , some say no way . Any suggestions would be great .
Btw I'm aware all of these tires have a short life on the street . Also 275/60 or 295/55 ??

sinistr302

Established Member
295/55 seem to look the best and tuck in nicely. That's what i'll be getting when I get my bigs and littles.

125oh

Established Member
^ I was leaning towards them .

Also car has 2008 cobra jet springs . Only lowered the car 1/4-1/2 inch

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
Scott,

Please tell me more about how the crack developed on your M&H tires and where. What tire pressure did you run in the front and how many miles did you get out of them before the issues arose? I am real close to buying a set of SVE drag wheels and I'm torn between ordering them with or without tires because I really would like to try the ET Street Radial Pro. BTW, I believe Phoenix Tires makes a 27" tall bias ply front runner in a 17" version. M/T makes an ET Street in a bias ply. I have run this tire in the past on my 04 Mach1 and cut consistent 1.6 short times on them leaving at 3600 rpm on a 100 shot. Are you going to run the M/T drag radials in the rear again?

125oh

Established Member
well i had about 3000 miles on them kept them close to the max psi cuz they always looked low . now that ive read more about them people say they arent designed to handle these heavy cars . The sve drags are nice as i understand they actually have a better finish on them compared to the racestars . My first choice in tires were gonna be M/T drag radials out back again with the M/T sr front runner, which is a radial also . but then i started thinking i really want to make it to the track more so maybe a bias ply would be better for the m-6.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Bias-ply for a stick. Def help absorb the shock that kills stock parts and mt-82's on radials. Have over 300 launches on a Fox body with a bone stock T-5 and stock driveshaft ranging anywhere from 3500rpm to rev limiter launches at 6,500... (yeah, it def pulled the wheels LOL) I chalk the fact of the driveline living this long to the slicks for sure. 60's were anywhere from 1.38's to 1.60's

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
When you cracked, do you mean dry rotted? Or did it crack and blow up and cause a wreck or something? What pressure did you keep them at? Bias ply tires always leak air and front runner usually like to be in the 35psi hot range

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
The side wall has had splits on every set of M&H's I've seen. Bought mine used with the splits already there and haven't had any issues. They only seem to split on one side of the tire. OP,not sure on how hard you plan on hitting the rear tires but I'd recommend some ARP wheel studs to go with those SVE wheels since they use the acorn style lug nut instead of a shank like most drag style wheels.

125oh

Established Member
I should have said split instead of crack . I just ordered welds for my car not sve drags I can't decide between bias ply or regular drag radial nor what to put with the bias ply up front

Jday14

Established Member
Not trying to hijack thread but thought it would be better to post here instead of making a new thread. I have been going to the local 1/8 mile track and cutting what I would consider decent times on street tires. The time has come that I need more traction for better sixties to improve ets. I am saving for a set of 15 inch sve drags for the rear. For the sake of keeping costs down I will only be buying a rear setup for now. I have read that you are better off running a bias ply in the rear with a m6 but have also read that it may be funky with a street tire in front? What are your opinions these will be for track use only. It would be nice to run a street legal tire so that I could swap them out on track days and drive them too and from the track but if I would be better served I wouldn't mind mounting them when I got to the track. Would love to hear everyone's opinion especially from those who have ran drag radials and bias ply slicks.

sinistr302

Established Member
^ I was leaning towards them .

Also car has 2008 cobra jet springs . Only lowered the car 1/4-1/2 inch

Shouldn't really be considered a lower spring only 1/4''-1/2''. Maybe its meant for loading the car easier.

hoodley

Established Member
Not trying to hijack thread but thought it would be better to post here instead of making a new thread. I have been going to the local 1/8 mile track and cutting what I would consider decent times on street tires. The time has come that I need more traction for better sixties to improve ets. I am saving for a set of 15 inch sve drags for the rear. For the sake of keeping costs down I will only be buying a rear setup for now. I have read that you are better off running a bias ply in the rear with a m6 but have also read that it may be funky with a street tire in front? What are your opinions these will be for track use only. It would be nice to run a street legal tire so that I could swap them out on track days and drive them too and from the track but if I would be better served I wouldn't mind mounting them when I got to the track. Would love to hear everyone's opinion especially from those who have ran drag radials and bias ply slicks.

I have slicked up every mustang ive owned and drove to the track(about 35 miles away) with reg. radial street tires on front, no problems at all.
This car, it moves around more than others, like you have a flat tire kind of feel, i guess cause its heavier.

Jday14

Established Member
I have slicked up every mustang ive owned and drove to the track(about 35 miles away) with reg. radial street tires on front, no problems at all.
This car, it moves around more than others, like you have a flat tire kind of feel, i guess cause its heavier.

Nice that's good to hear what specific tire do u run at the track?

hoodley

Established Member
i normally run street tire, sumitumo 275/40/18
My slicks are 26X10 et drags(less than a 1/2 inch dia.as street tire), they are about worn out tho.
they lasted all last season on my 90 coupe, it was slow but drove to track probably 30 times it only ran low 13s but i launched it on the mat every pass. then i put them on the 12 just once and only got one pass in, it bogged bad i only launched about 3500 cut a 1.7 60 so its got more in it. im just trying to get it to go what i want too on the street tires, before i buy another set of slicks

debit_free_2010

Established Member
I should have said split instead of crack . I just ordered welds for my car not sve drags I can't decide between bias ply or regular drag radial nor what to put with the bias ply up front

Sounds like those tires were exposed to freezing temps with air in them. You're not supposed to let the drag tire compounds freeze, and then flex (as in drive on them) till they have warmed substantially.

I'm replacing my Hoosier slicks as one developed a blister when I aired them up last weekend.

I say radials front and rear if you plan on doing any kind of spirited street driving, bias ply tires have a totally different feel so your handling can be a bit squirrelly, radials will also net better gas mileage.

125oh

Established Member
Sounds like those tires were exposed to freezing temps with air in them. You're not supposed to let the drag tire compounds freeze, and then flex (as in drive on them) till they have warmed substantially.

I'm replacing my Hoosier slicks as one developed a blister when I aired them up last weekend.

I say radials front and rear if you plan on doing any kind of spirited street driving, bias ply tires have a totally different feel so your handling can be a bit squirrelly, radials will also net better gas mileage.

my car hasnt been out in temps below 40 and sits in a heated garage all winter . there are lots of cases of m and h front runners splitting , they werent meant to handle the weight im guessing

Users who are viewing this thread