biggest inflation surge in more than 30 years

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Residents of the State of Maine passed a Constitutional Amendment on Nov 3rd in what some see as a roadblock to the State or especially the Federal Government from dictating or controlling the right to grow or produce food. It is the first such Constitutional Amendment in the Country. It is call the "Right to Food" Amendment.
It will be interesting to see if other States adopt similar measures.

The measure passed by over a 60% margin.
Jesus, only 60%? Tells what kind of country we live in.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Jesus, only 60%? Tells what kind of country we live in.
There was a big "Doom & Gloom" campaign against the measure. Imagine the horrors of buying Pumpkin seeds and finding out the seeds are not from a Pumpkin! Plus all of the rancid meat that will be on the market because it will not be FDA approved! People will be raising Chickens in their cupboards!. People in the city will have a cow in their backyard! Where will all of the Cattle and Chicken shit go? That's right, down the drains to contaminate our drinking water!
Seriously, this is the type of BS (pun intended) that was being said against the measure.
Obviously, people who live in the cities that know meat comes from the grocery store were horrified at the prospect of this bills passage.
LMFAO

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
There was a big "Doom & Gloom" campaign against the measure. Imagine the horrors of buying Pumpkin seeds and finding out the seeds are not from a Pumpkin! Plus all of the rancid meat that will be on the market because it will not be FDA approved! People will be raising Chickens in their cupboards!. People in the city will have a cow in their backyard! Where will all of the Cattle and Chicken shit go? That's right, down the drains to contaminate our drinking water!
Seriously, this is the type of BS (pun intended) that was being said against the measure.
Obviously, people who live in the cities that know meat comes from the grocery store were horrified at the prospect of this bills passage.
LMFAO
How could we ever live without government protecting us

q6543

Established Member
Just watched a video earlier from a youtuber. Had a catalog from 1989, sanders, table saws, heaters, electrical cords...

All within a dollar or 2 ... from 1989 to 2021.

Funny how it's hit and miss.

noco5.0

Established Member
The more I think about it.

If you're fully invested in the American dream.
1. A homeowner
2. Own 2 or 3 cars
3. Fully invested in a retirement portfolio

This has been nothing but a boom to personal net worth. .. now if youre on the outside looking in, it's a tougher spot.

Who cares if Thanksgiving dinner costs an extra $50, when your net worth added tens to hundreds of thousands.... if not millions.

Dollar is holding super strong too, which I was surprised to see today.
I'm doing better than I ever have, but not buying anything right now because of inflation so literally just riding this out and saving. I'm fortunate that I don't need anything really.... a few unmet wants but just not willing to overpay for stuff because I need to have it now. I think Biden's policies are terrible but Covid and people unwilling to return to work is the biggest cause of all of this.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Residents of the State of Maine passed a Constitutional Amendment on Nov 3rd in what some see as a roadblock to the State or especially the Federal Government from dictating or controlling the right to grow or produce food. It is the first such Constitutional Amendment in the Country. It is call the "Right to Food" Amendment.
It will be interesting to see if other States adopt similar measures.

The measure passed by over a 60% margin.

I doubt the Feds will respect it. Ever heard of Wickard v. Filburn? That single Depression Era case is the root cause of a lot of the issues this country has had for nearly 100 years.

Just watched a video earlier from a youtuber. Had a catalog from 1989, sanders, table saws, heaters, electrical cords...

In real money terms those items are now cheaper due in large part to automation.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What Sid said is key. States can pass laws but the Feds trump in most cases. Sure, Maine could then sue the Feds, but that is no guarantee they will win.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I doubt the Feds will respect it. Ever heard of Wickard v. Filburn? That single Depression Era case is the root cause of a lot of the issues this country has had for nearly 100 years.

In real money terms those items are now cheaper due in large part to automation.
That was one of the examples that was used as to why this Amendment needed to be passed.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member

Ewww manual labor? Lol

But really I’d wager that the average American wouldn’t know how to use those things, even if they were given instructions.

mariusvt

Established Member

Probably, but they quality of the tool in 1989 was vastly superior.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Dollar is holding super strong too, which I was surprised to see today.

inflation is reducing USD by 1% a month LOL. Who cares if it is "strong" relative to JPY/EUR/GBP? It is massively weak relative to the things that you trade for USD which is all that matters.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
That was one of the examples that was used as to why this Amendment needed to be passed.

You'll need some local officials willing to police Feds that would attempt to violate the Amendment for it to mean anything. That would make for an interesting 10th Amendment case.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
The point wasn't exactly 50 extra dollars for Thanksgiving.

It's that if you own a home, have a job and a car or 2 and a retirement plan.... this has all been for your benefit.
All true. Benefits and successes aside, no one wants to pay more for something based on backwards policies of a career politician.

Up above it is mentioned how prices from '89-'21 have changed by a dollar or two. 1989 money is much different than 2021 money.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The Wife just got back from grocery shopping. She scored some good deals. A 22.4 lb Turkey for just over $10.00
Picked up a 7.5 lb Ham for just over $10.00
She said the grocery store was a madhouse of activity. Can't imagine what it will be like next week.

nxhappy

Established Member
was at the airport the other day ...$4.99 for a small bottled coke. My inner Jew kicked in, and I skipped on that purchase LOL. This is ****ing bullshit

Adower

Established Member
was at the airport the other day ...$4.99 for a small bottled coke. My inner Jew kicked in, and I skipped on that purchase LOL. This is ****ing bullshit
Airport food/drinks are always overpriced though.

Users who are viewing this thread