BigDaddy and other Members with Superchargers

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
I'm going to supercharge my 01 Cobra this spring, and I thought I would drop a few questions on the board.

You Happy with your performance for the price?

Did you have to do other MODS to facilitate the install of your S/C?

Has anyone recorded 1/4 mile time before and after, what kind of improvments did it make for you cobra?

Thanks!

Last edited:

dave58

seldom impressed
Established Member
Not real sure why he's not answered 'ya yet.
(O.K., maybe I do know, but nevermind)

I'm not certain what kinda times he (Greg) was running stock (I've seen, I just don't remember). But I think he said he runs like 12.1x's now.
I believe he likes the work Kenny Brown did on his suspension even more !!

He probably isn't replying because (I know for a fact) he gets sick of hearing all of the b/s about the Roots S/C setups, coz we've talked about it before.

He spends time over on the SVTOA boards, too. That's how I actually know most of what I said up there.

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
Thanks

I got a hold of the folks down in Indy (Kenny Brown), and I'm taking my car down there this spring for suspension work.

I been throwing around two different S/C models. The 1 is a Vortech, and 2 is the ATI. I was hoping to get some feedback on both. I was looking at best performance for the $, and trying to do a little as possible to facilitate this.

I'm actually in the Automotive business, but I wanted to get some comments from people that have made the leap, rather than relying on some of my companies engineers advice.

Thanks,

Rick

P51 Pilot

Established Member
An article on supercharging the DOHC 4.6 was written in a 2001 issue of Mustang 5.0 by a Dr. Jamie Meyer re a '99 Cobra owned by a Terry Reeves. Unfortunately, I do not have the issue month. The work was done by Paul's Automotive Engineering.

Key quote: "Plans were put into place to supercharge the 4.6. However, with the returnless fuel system that the Cobra shares with all '99 Mustangs, there was a problem maintaining fuel pressure at the rails. On top of that, the glass jaw of the Cobra motor (namely the stock pencil-thin rods and hypereutectic pistons) was a real concern to the entire project."

The article goes on that the end result (incl. Sean Hyland chip, 36-lb/hr injectors and Vortech S-trim 3.6-in. pulley among others) at 8-lbs boost is 500 rwhp. Also mentioned to get the power down reliably (for drag racing) was swap-out of the IRS for an 8.8-in. rear fm a '90 GT w/a Detroit Locker center section w/other suspension mods.

Worth a read for ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread