Big dilemma.

1996cobraconvertible

Established Member
I am giving some thoughts to whether I should sell my Cobra for an SVO. I tried to sell it before for something else I thought old be good, but got cold feet. I came across a pristine low mile SVO which would cost a good amount. I know I have cheap great dependable and affordable car but SVOs are drying up. I am thinking if I did buy SVO, I could always get another Cobra down the line as there are more to choose from. I really have no idea????????

jman37

Established Member
SVO's were fun quirky cars. Hard to find parts for. If it's in good shape and that's what you want to do, go for it. Like you said there are more SN Cobra's out there than SVO's and can always get another one.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
SVO's are increasing in value, at least according to another thread I remember seeing a month or so ago. They're pretty cool. 9,835 SVOs were made from 1984 to 1986.
4,263 - 1984 U.S. Production
1,498 - 1985 U.S. Production
427 - 1985 1/2 U.S. Production
3,314 - 1986 U.S. Production
9,502 - Total U.S. Production

What year is the one you're looking at? 1985 was the lowest production year.

1280px-86_SVO.jpg

By Jimnva - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0

Cobra Jet

Established Member
I’ve owned (2) prior SVO’s.

1st 1984 Silver with cloth interior
2nd 1985 Black with sunroof and cloth interior

SVO’s are definitely unique Mustangs and until you drive one, they are easy to get hooked on.

The only issues with SVO’s is due to the very limited production run, finding the unique replacement parts such as:
hood
nose cone
headlights
inner and outer parking lights
rear bi-spoiler
rear lower rocker ground effects
rear 1/4 window spats

it can present a real challenge if the car is ever in an accident.

If you do get one, I highly recommend getting an Agreed Value Insurance policy. The Agreed value should be clearly printed on the declaration page. In the event of any total loss claim, the owner will be paid the Agreed Value and nothing less.

SVO’s are extremely fun to drive and they are very reliable. The SVO introduced many firsts to the Mustang, many of which didn’t become standard production until many years later.

They handle very well even in stock form.

If shopping for one, do still check the same areas you would on any Fox Body for major rusting. Also make sure it retains as many, if not all, SVO specific parts - as that is where the value is for these Mustangs.

1996cobraconvertible

Established Member
SVO's are increasing in value, at least according to another thread I remember seeing a month or so ago. They're pretty cool. 9,835 SVOs were made from 1984 to 1986.
4,263 - 1984 U.S. Production
1,498 - 1985 U.S. Production
427 - 1985 1/2 U.S. Production
3,314 - 1986 U.S. Production
9,502 - Total U.S. Production

What year is the one you're looking at? 1985 was the lowest production year.

View attachment 1697914
By Jimnva - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0

Looking at 1986

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread