Big Changes Coming for eBay Feedback...

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Beginning in May 2008, sellers will no longer be able to leave negative feedback for buyers...

New policies HERE

CNN story HERE

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
kind of good but some people absolute idiots when it comes to feedback and will leave negative feedback for the stupidest, most minute things. thankfully ive got rock solid feedback so i wont have much to worry about anyways.

nevermind, i just read that they'll only be showing positive feedback going back 12 months :rollseyes

ive sold less than 10 things in the last 12 months. just beyond that, hundreds of expensive items. this blows :nonono:

Last edited:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I definitely temper the feedback I give because I'm afraid of a retaliatory negative. I have 100% positive feedback and will overlook a bad deal just to keep my rating. That's not good.

I can see both sides...

You've got sellers out there who literally put in their ad "I will leave positive feedback for you as soon as you leave positive for me." What is that? If I paid you 30 seconds after your auction ended, I've lived up to my end of the deal and should get positive feedback immediately.

...on the other hand...

There are some really irrational buyers out there. You know, the guy that complains because his package took 3 days to arrive...even though it was shipped ground from Florida to California.

Last edited:

thenexlevel

Established Member
Ebay's feedback system is screwed up, most of the time its the buyer that leaves a retailiatory negative and not the seller. There are so many buyers with 0 ratings that have no clue about how to purchase something on ebay and thru paypal, they bid or do a buy it now and doesn't pay. As a seller if you leave a negative, the buyer then has the right to leave one for you EVEN though they are the ones at fault.

This new rule will give buyers even more power....

Bullitt54

5.4 Anti-Venom
Established Member
feedback

Ebay's feedback system is screwed up, most of the time its the buyer that leaves a retailiatory negative and not the seller. There are so many buyers with 0 ratings that have no clue about how to purchase something on ebay and thru paypal, they bid or do a buy it now and doesn't pay. As a seller if you leave a negative, the buyer then has the right to leave one for you EVEN though they are the ones at fault.

This new rule will give buyers even more power....

It's about time that Ebay dealt with sellers holding back their feedback as leverage.Though I don't think this is a fix all.

I wish they would not show feedback until both parties have submitted, then at least it would be unbiased.....

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
It really needs working with because there are many times I just haven't left feedback because I wasn't willing to get negative left for me for no reason.

Bullitt54

5.4 Anti-Venom
Established Member
Feedback

It really needs working with because there are many times I just haven't left feedback because I wasn't willing to get negative left for me for no reason.

I have sellers who often never bother to leave feedback even though I left them +positive immediately after item arrived.:shrug: Even after I send a reminder message.

I still say that feedback shouldn't be counted until both parties leave theirs.:rockon:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have one negative as a buyer and 0 as a seller.

I bought a FORD banner for 150 bucks (very rare and mine had gotten stolen). it was described as new. When I got it there were a number of hole in it and it was not in "new" condition. I left the damn seller NEUTRAL feed back and he left me negative. IMHO this is a good move.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
there is pretty much no way to have a good feedback system, although its definatly neccesary. i think the best soloution is what gboger said, no feedback is shown until both parties leave feedback, but it should be invisible until you have both left it so no more retaliary feedback.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I've got a 106 positives and nothing else and I only had to leave negative feedback once for a non responsive seller[six weeks] Not fair to the sellers IMO if they can't leave negative feedback for a deadbeat.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I've got a 106 positives and nothing else and I only had to leave negative feedback once for a non responsive seller[six weeks] Not fair to the sellers IMO if they can't leave negative feedback for a deadbeat.

the problem is that the maturity level of ebay is lower than just about anywhere. when a seller (or buyer for that matter) leaves negative retaliatory feedback for no valid reason there is no way to have it removed.

The current system just sux IMHO but buyers are not as likely to retaliate with negative as sellers are.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
It is actually pretty funny that they're doing this. I've been a member since '98 and have only had 2 negs out of a few hundred transactions, both left by mistake from idiot buyers. I fought for almost 2 years to try to remove the negs with the other party's cooperation but they refused because the transactions were older than 90 days. A few months back after a random email they removed one but not the other. I've been sending emails to them and even sent one to some high level people there with no luck. Had I know this was coming I would've just chilled. bah well

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
This marks the beginning of the end for eBay.

It's time to produce another "eBay" system that's better, cheaper, more trustworthy, and flat out easier to use.

I might end up doing it as I have all the resources needed and the investors to boot. :thumbsup:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I liked ebay a lot better before everyone set up a "store" selling cheap flea market crap.

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
OMG...they totally missed the point. They need to allow sellers to leave feedback, HOWEVER, what they really need to do is make it so that the seller HAS to leave feedback before the buyer does. Afterall, the seller has no reason to hold feedback after they have received payment.

In all of my findings, this would work miracles. I can't help but add how funny the reasoning is for this change though. eBay claims that it's because people are afriad to buy...LOL...as if their not making much moneya already :rollseyes

Last edited:

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
I liked ebay a lot better before everyone set up a "store" selling cheap flea market crap.

Not all the stores sell cheap crap, there are a lot of sellers who will sell baseball cards at $.69 each who will no longer be able to run a viable business.

I am pretty perturbed about the whole change that eBay is going through. I think I have room to express my opinion; I have been a selling member on eBay for over 7-1/2 years and have completed hundreds of thousands of dollars in transactions. I am almost to a point where I will start using another site to sell my stuff or maybe just stop selling all together.

EBay seems to want to "stick" it to their sellers and want to encourage folks to buy on their website. EBay is relying to much on their dedicated sellers putting up with their BS, first with Paypal changing stances a few years ago to be more buyer friendly than seller and now this with the pricing structure changes which will put the low priced high volume dealers out of business and cost the sellers with $20.00 items for instance a significant amount more in commissions. The fees charged by eBay are still lower than having an individual store-front, but there are some businesses that have priced the discount into their sales.

Overall I think this pricing structure is going to really affect eBay's overall business and could be the straw that breaks the proverbial camels back.

Users who are viewing this thread