Big Changes Coming for eBay Feedback...

nathanralph

Established Member
OMG...they totally missed the point. They need to allow sellers to leave feedback, HOWEVER, what they really need to do is make it so that the seller HAS to leave feedback before the buyer does. Afterall, the seller has no reason to hold feedback after they have received payment.

In all of my findings, this would work miracles. I can't help but add how funny the reasoning is for this change though. eBay claims that it's because people are afriad to buy...LOL...as if their not making much moneya already :rollseyes

That wouldn't work at all. If the seller had to leave feedback first, he'd just not leave feedback and not risk getting a neg.

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
that would only work to an extent tho. If they never get feedback, they will never get a rating, and eventually people will start catching on when someone has hundreds and thousands of auctions, with 0 for feedback.

reguardless, you make a pretty good point.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
IMO when the seller is paid he/she should leave feedback. Plain and simple. I do this. And if the buyer doesn't leave a feedback I send a reminder after they've received the item. If they still don't leave one I simply move on. I certainly won't lose sleep over it.

I don't agree with sellers not being able to leave a negative feedback. I mean, come on. What if the buyer doesn't pay for the item. So you can't leave a negative feedback and warn others? That's BS if it is true.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
What if the buyer doesn't pay for the item. So you can't leave a negative feedback and warn others?
I read through eBay's new policy and it's not clear. It looks like you can still make a "non-paying bidder" claim against the buyer if they don't pay...you just can't leave them negative feedback. :shrug:

Then somewhere you will be able to see how many times a bidder never paid for items he won. Hopefully sellers will then be able to restrict these deadbeats from bidding on their auctions.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
I can see both sides...
You've got sellers out there who literally put in their ad "I will leave positive feedback for you as soon as you leave positive for me." What is that? If I paid you 30 seconds after your auction ended, I've lived up to my end of the deal and should get positive feedback immediately.

The problem is twofold--first, buyers who, after receiving positive feedback, won't bother returning the favor for you. Why should the buyer get positive feedback if they're not going to leave it for the seller as well? Second, there's the risk of buyers who will nitpick and leave a unjustified negative feedback, especially if they've already received a positive so that the seller doesn't have a good means of retaliation.

When I sell, I always state that I will leave positive feedback after the buyer has received the item and confirmed it to be in as-described shape. Once the deal is successfully concluded, feedback can be exchanged.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
The problem is twofold--

...first, buyers who, after receiving positive feedback, won't bother returning the favor
...there's the risk of buyers who will nitpick and leave a unjustified negative feedback.
Agreed. I'm just not sure what the answer is. :??:

I'm in the middle of an eBay deal now. The seller sent me 2 of the 3 items I purchased. 2 weeks and 2 phone calls later, still nothing. Decent product, but lousy service.

Will I leave the seller negative or neutral feedback? No, because I'm afraid of that guy leaving me a negative. :shrug: After this new feedback system goes into effect, this guy would get a neutral (or maybe a negative) from me.

Iluvatar

Txyaloo scares me
Established Member
The problem is twofold--first, buyers who, after receiving positive feedback, won't bother returning the favor for you. Why should the buyer get positive feedback if they're not going to leave it for the seller as well? Second, there's the risk of buyers who will nitpick and leave a unjustified negative feedback, especially if they've already received a positive so that the seller doesn't have a good means of retaliation.

When I sell, I always state that I will leave positive feedback after the buyer has received the item and confirmed it to be in as-described shape. Once the deal is successfully concluded, feedback can be exchanged.

I can somewhat see your point in regards to the nitpicky type of buyer. But the way you leave feedback wouldn't sit well for me. I think the buyer should leave feeback as soon as they receive payment. The sellers feedback should be based on they payment (Did you receive the money. Was it in a timely manner). There is no need to wait until the buyer receives the product unless you are basing your feedback off of what they leave for you.

When I purchase items from Ebay I don't leave feedback unless feedback has been left for me. The seller has my money...they should have left me feedback if they want theirs...end of story.

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
how are some of you complaining about bad feedback???!!! who cares if its deserved you see it, also you can respond to negative feedback left to you so it would clear up the problem
i look at feedback many times and if i see negative feedback i will read why its negative and judge from there. i am 100% pos but i have left negative before because YOU WARN FUTURE BUYERS

Bullitt54

5.4 Anti-Venom
Established Member

Same thing from the buyers perspective, why leave feedback for a seller when they are going to hold the threat of negative feedback unless you buckle under and give them a positive regardless of their actions....

I have never failed to give feedback, I can't say the same for many of the sellers I have dealt with over the years. Changes are needed, what will work best, your guess is good as mine...:shrug:

Boosted97

I wish I had a Cobra
Established Member
"Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance."

That sucks, I've been on ebay for over 2 years now, and only have 30 or so transactions, and all are positive. I just don't buy or sell stuff that often. This is going to suck, because it will disapear and i'll look like a new person to ebay and noone will trust me since it will show 0 transactions. That is really stupid that they are changing that part of it, the other parts i get.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
what the hell is the big deal? i have never heard of anyone not being allowed to buy a produce because of their feedback. granted, if someone has like 20 negatives and 2 positives, something might happen, but, for the most part, this doesnt really affect the casual ebay customer. you know, the people who make a few transactions a year, and are honest because they see no reason not to be. if im not mistaken, those people make up the majority of ebay users. obviously negative feedback has a much larger impact on sellers since negative feedback is supposed to be a warning sign for bad sellers. but, i think this is getting blown out of proportion. as a buyer, what is the purpose of caring about feedback? there are enough honest sellers on ebay that you should be able to rack up postive feedback without a problem. everyone overlooks those 2 negatives when you have 30 positives because everyone ends up getting a negative from either an asshole, a nitpicky person, or it was actually deserved.

i do agree that buyers are getting ripped off with these changes though.

Users who are viewing this thread