Big 3 Wire Upgrade for Electrical Problem

salstage2

Established Member
Good Morning All,

I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays I know I am! Well what I’m here to talk about today is a big 3 wire upgrade kit I came across.

Last week my cars battery took a crap out of nowhere. It is only about 4 months old and a optima yellowtop so I was shocked to see this but I switched it to my familys other cars and it worked fine so I know it’s not the battery per say. I haven’t done the multimeter test yet since it’s finally started to rain here in California but I will once I have a chance. I see that the battery gauge in the cluster dwindles down and no longer stays in the middle. It’s probably an 1/8th of the way up. Another thing I realized was when it was going out on me every time I stepped on the brakes the radio would go out. Overall I feel like there is a short in the car somewhere that I will try to figure out what it is by pulling fuses etc.

One thing I did want to point out is that I’ll remove the battery to charge it and then when I go and put it back into the car it takes a while to turn over and then it’ll turn on... then die... then won’t turn on anymore and sounds like a dead battery.

I purchased the big 3 wire kit in hopes of resolving this issue and figuring out what the problem was. I also want to document it just in case anyone else comes across this problem too. My question would be what you all believe to be the culprit? Does it sound like the alternator might be going out? That is new as well but I can definitely have it tested as well I just want to know where to begin mostly since I don’t want to do extra work that I don’t have to.

Thanks

— Sal

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I would get the Optima load tested. They're not the greatest battery anymore.

As for the other issues double check all the grounds and connections and make sure they're tight. We had to replace the terminals on the cables in my sons car due to it acting randomly like the battery was dead. It's been fine since. Also recently had a buddy replace the battery in his Cobra and it was still acting funky. Once I pushed the terminals all the way down and made sure they're tight he's been good.

Users who are viewing this thread