"Big 3" upgrade

RioRed4v

Established Member
Assuming some people have already done this, so I'm just looking to see what all materials are needed to make the upgrade. Hoping for power/ground cable lengths and what size fuses/etc might be needed?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Depending on your goals you can use either quality 4ga or 1/0 wire. You will need to upgrade the following:

Battery Ground to Chassis Ground
Alternator Positive to Battery Positive
Engine Ground to Chassis Ground

You will need ring terminals for the wire and a fuse for the alt postive to bat positive. 150a for 4ga or 250-300a for 1/0.

I'm not sure on the lengths for each, but generally 10ft of wire covers the whole project. You can always bust out a tape measure to get an idea. I recommend using quality brand wire to insure you get actual 4ga or 1/0. Shok Industries, KnuKonceptz, Stinger, and Kicker are good brands to choose from.

BadHabit2Break

Established Member
Depending on your goals you can use either quality 4ga or 1/0 wire. You will need to upgrade the following:

Battery Ground to Chassis Ground
Alternator Positive to Battery Positive
Engine Ground to Chassis Ground

You will need ring terminals for the wire and a fuse for the alt postive to bat positive. 150a for 4ga or 250-300a for 1/0.

I'm not sure on the lengths for each, but generally 10ft of wire covers the whole project. You can always bust out a tape measure to get an idea. I recommend using quality brand wire to insure you get actual 4ga or 1/0. Shok Industries, KnuKonceptz, Stinger, and Kicker are good brands to choose from.

This pretty much sums it up.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Right now I have my 1200w AQ amp and have noticed some dimming at night, so I'm wanting to upgrade these before considering the battery or more.

I was planning on using Knukoncepts since everything else i have is wired with them and I'm a fan of their products. I'm guessing just their normal power/ground will work for this?

Which size would be recommended for 1200+ watts?

Thanks for the info. Do you think it would be 10ft of power and 10ft of ground wire? Havent really looked in to it much but I know how much the wires like to snake around in there.

Last edited:

RioRed4v

Established Member
2awg for 1000-1500 watts

Dumb question, but does that take in to consideration the draw of the factory features? Not sure how much draw the stock stereo + all the other electronics have, but i'm guessing if I'm at 1200+ with just my amp I might be over the 1500w mark with everything else included:shrug:

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Just use 1/0. Don't even mess with 2ga. With the distance you are working with fuse location doesn't really matter. Just mount it next to the battery on the firewall and run your wires. Next step would be to upgrade the main battery to something like the d1200 by xs power or a shuriken equivalent. My car doesn't have any dimming with upgraded battery and 1/0 power and ground.

kingnut

Established Member
I got a steal on 100FT of 2GA a few years back. like 35$ shipped. i did the big three with it. i have a bunch left over. it wont stop all your headlight dimming IE at a stop light. because just sitting your voltage drops and your alternator isnt kicking out much amperage. but i do think its worth upgrading.

definitely go with some high quality screw on ring connectors. you should put a dab of blue locktite on the threads to make sure they dont loosen up. below is a link of a great deal for a pair on amazon. i bought these or similar stinger ones and they are HQ.

Amazon.com: KnuKonceptz 0 Gauge Set Screw Ring Terminal Pair: Car Electronics

41m0wnldaXL.jpg

31ubfZa0maL.jpg

RioRed4v

Established Member
Thats likely what I was going to do, just for ease of use. Solder on some terminals and then put some wrap on them.

I see mixed answers on anything... better to run totally new wire and ditch the factory stuff, or should I just piggyback off the stock setup and run a new wire and keep the stock stuff in place?

kingnut

Established Member
^^ You do not need to waste money on those. Best thing to do is solder ring terminals on. Very easy to do with a torch and will have the best connection.

IMG_1061.jpg

best connection huh... do an OHM resistance test on both setups. will there be any difference... no. the cheap ones save you a couple of dollars. they are also thinner and look cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread