beware of G Force Transmissions

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
A buddy of mine just bought a transmission from G Force that iss uppose to support 2000HP and here is what he said:

Originally posted by Shankin
After breaking the mainshaft in my new 2000 dollar t5 with straight cut gears i sent it back to g force to be looked at. I spoke with bubba there 1st. He was cool but you could tell he didnt want to tell me that they were not going to stand behind their product with 7.5 miles on it. So i asked to speak with his boss that told him to tell me that i broke it from (exact words) Beating on it. So i get him on the phone and he tells me that i broke it from engaging it between two gears. No roll pins were broke in the shifter mechanism witch by the way is their product also. What really happened was the mainshaft broke and the gears road up on the cluster shaft and started breaking teeth off. I just wanted yall to know so you dont run into the same problems i did. Needless to say i am very displeased with g force. Just out two grand and with no trans at all. Spread the word

You can view everyone's replies at http://www.streetcarforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13428

Shankin' is not a half hearted fool, he knows his stuff. He is the dyno tuner down at team ford in marieatta and has some killer rides! I've seen him pull both wheels to the 60' mark. Couple of his buddies cars that he tuned will pull the wheels to the 330.

This just ISN"T cool. You don't market a transmission to supporting 2000hp when it can't even handl half of that. Not cool at all.

If any of you are planning on buying a g force transmission, I plead with you to reconsider. I would strongly suggest a tremec 3550/TKO and if you need a lot of power, go to X2C and get one of their modified tremecs. If you decide to NOT buy a G Force, call them and tell them you won't be buying from them because of this.

7.5 miles on the transmission and he's out 2000$ and they won't do anything about it. THat pisses me off, a lot.

1 BA SVT

your momma likes it
Established Member
hahahaha you think Shankin would heed his own words. to qoute shankin "the "T" in t-5 stands for temporary" i know it was rated for 2000hp but still jeff's no dummie and should have know to go with a tremec. sucks for him cause this is the second time he's bought something and the product broke and the manufactor didn't want to stand behind their work. first time was with DSS.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
you know jeff?!? Jeff is one totally cool dude! when my car gets done, I'm gonna see if he can work a little magic on the computer ;)

are you over on SCF? I'm sure if you know shankin and the team ford crew, you probably are ;) I'm of course "doug" over there...lol

Mjp

Timely Turbo
Established Member
Conversation between my friend and Mike at G-Force:

"One more thing mike said. I told him to send the trans back so i could have the shaft checked myself. He told me i could send it to nasa to have it checked for all he cared."

WHAT A ****ING ASSHOLE!

1 BA SVT

your momma likes it
Established Member
Originally posted by Doug
you know jeff?!? Jeff is one totally cool dude! when my car gets done, I'm gonna see if he can work a little magic on the computer ;)

are you over on SCF? I'm sure if you know shankin and the team ford crew, you probably are ;) I'm of course "doug" over there...lol

Yeah, I've known Jeff for quite awhile. Jeff can tune a car but if you need to go see this guy I know. He can get into everything and adjust the timing on individual cylinders, all sorts of stuff. I am on SCF, but I don't post over there, I just browse and read the forums. Shot me a pm and I can give you more info.

Mjp

Timely Turbo
Established Member
Originally posted by 5LVENOM
Did he get the mainshaft upgrade (9310, or 4340)? If not they just put new gears on the stock mainshaft.

Not sure. I would assume he got it. He's a technician at Ford. With PLENTY of experience. I know its a dog-ring setup. I'll have to ask. But I would go ahead and assume so.

Rob Smith

If he did, that sucks, because I just contacted them (e-mail) last night on a price quote for the syncro'd all upgraded T-5. Haven't heard back from them yet.

Mjp

Timely Turbo
Established Member
Well...my friend is not alone.

Posted on Turbomustangs.com:
"I want to get in on this G-Force discussion. I have a 93' Cobra (featured in MM&FF March this year) that has broke TWO of these "bad ass trannies" One of my sponsors for my outlaw car made the $7000.00 buy in to G-force a while ago. We immediatly put one (straight cut/ face tooth/their main shaft) in my Cobra street car. The car had a tune up in it that ran 10.32@138. It was on slicks but with 30psi. and it was 1a.m. and the streets were cold ZERO traction. Took one sponsor for a ride from a role, turned around and picked another victim tried to launch the car and blew everything to peices!!! I mean everything. The bearing retainer was laying inside the bellhousing! Striped all the teeth off the input, broke the case, etc. I am A.S.E certified in every feild, and have been in business for myself as a tuner/ builder for 13 years. I also called bubba sparks. He questioned my abilities. After I think I convinced him I wasnt some backyard shmo, he told me my drive shaft bottemed out and pushed everything out the front! I asked him how the lenght of my old T-5 with his parts in it changed? I have had stock T-5's live for months and months with 1.40 60' times. Hell I let all my employees race the car! Nothing is harder on parts than multiple driving styles! Anyway he told me to call NASA too J/K! Just for fun I had the drive shaft shortened 1/2" and installed another 2k$ worth of parts. This time I drove it to the dyno made a couple pulls 579rwhp&670rwftlbs. Went to the track, went 10.40@136/1.55 60' then 10.10@`137.6/1.43 60', came back around and blew the pile up on the starting line, oil everywhere which made me popular. I am so disgusted I havent pulled it out yet. I did on the other hand have a freind who works for a top secret department of the Govmnt. do a sample of the old parts to check the metals, hardness, etc. I wish he could be part of this debate but his job is very important to him! We would like to see the Rockwell #'s and materials sheet. All I can tell you at this point is compared to the metaks in stock T-5 parts-which he also tested, G-force is getting hosed by their manufacturer. Most of the problem lies in hardening process. We are in the process of sending back the remainding parts-hopefully, so I cant get involved in the fight yet, sorry. Once we recover some of our money Maybe we should all get together and try to get the rest!"

RyClef331

Established Member
If you go to G-Force's website, they say RIGHT in the text on the page for the T-5 Gear Set that they don't like to quote power ratings for their trannies b/c of so many different factors (rear gearing, slicks, weight of the car, etc.) But they do go on to say the G-Force T-5 will support 500ftlbs of tq and 600hp in a 3,000lb car. NOT 2,000HP. You're a straight fool if you think it will. Put whatever the hell you want into a T-5, its still a T-5. The internals might hold the power but the stock case damn sure isn't. I definetly need more insight into what these cars were making powerwise b/c for my money, 1,000bucks for a streetable tranny that will drop right in to my car and handle my 331 with spray is money well spent...

Mjp

Timely Turbo
Established Member
Originally posted by 5LVENOM
Did he get the mainshaft upgrade (9310, or 4340)? If not they just put new gears on the stock mainshaft.

I just spoke to him. He got the 9310 shaft. They told him "he'd never break it." Or he would have bought the 4340.

Last edited:

Mjp

Timely Turbo
Established Member
Originally posted by RyClef331
If you go to G-Force's website, they say RIGHT in the text on the page for the T-5 Gear Set that they don't like to quote power ratings for their trannies b/c of so many different factors (rear gearing, slicks, weight of the car, etc.) But they do go on to say the G-Force T-5 will support 500ftlbs of tq and 600hp in a 3,000lb car. NOT 2,000HP. You're a straight fool if you think it will. Put whatever the hell you want into a T-5, its still a T-5. The internals might hold the power but the stock case damn sure isn't. I definetly need more insight into what these cars were making powerwise b/c for my money, 1,000bucks for a streetable tranny that will drop right in to my car and handle my 331 with spray is money well spent...

He told the guys at G-Force EVERYTHING the car has, the dyno numbers and all. They (G-Force) came up with the combo for the tranny. Straight cut gears, dog-ring setup, and their 9310 main shaft.

Mjp

Timely Turbo
Established Member
Originally posted by Wildpony
I'd wish Jerico did something for our cars (street version) but they don't so I will get a T-56 & be done with it....

Yeah, that would be awesome. Maybe the demand isn't hight enough for them. I can think of several people who'd be interested...hmmmmmm.

Wildpony

Established Member
We could start a petition to see if it would be cost effective for those guys to get into what we want.. They seem to be still stuck in the 60'-80's (and mainly Chevy) type cars..I can't believe that they couldn't design something and sell it for under $3,000 for the T5/T45 "Street/Strip" crowd..

Users who are viewing this thread