Best WiFi Modem

TorchMach

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I need some help on choosing my next WiFi modem. I currently have Belkin, and I just called them due to some trouble with my connection, and they said since it is out of date, it needs a update, and they have a service charge of $29.99 for the help. I told the lady no thank you. It kinda pissed me off to be honest, I already bought your product, why should I have to pay for a update??? Is this a yearly thing??

I now don't want to deal with them anymore. I previously had a NetGear modem, worked great. Before I go buy another, I wanted to pick your brains a little, what do you guys recommend is the best modem out there for WiFi? I want to take advantage of the upgraded internet I am paying for.

Thanks Fellas, happy Friday.

BlueSnake01

Established Member

Skrapmetal

Established Member
I love this router!

Modem? What speeds are you going for? I wouldn’t recommend wifi modems and I dont think they make any? I believe those are only supplied by the internet provider.

My Wifi Modem is used as a modem bridge only and have my router set up for the rest.

+2 on that router, I love mine.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I need to have Comcast bridge mine so I can use my regular router.
TWC never set mine up as a bridge and when I asked them to, they were clueless as to how to do it. I searched online for the admin name and password so I can do it myself. Admin and password were the login name and password lol
I think the TWC and Comcast modems had the same login info for the Arris modems.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
TWC never set mine up as a bridge and when I asked them to, they were clueless as to how to do it. I searched online for the admin name and password so I can do it myself. Admin and password were the login name and password lol
I think the TWC and Comcast modems had the same login info for the Arris modems.

I need to catch the Comcast guy who comes out in my area for repairs, he said he would do it for me. I also have a link to have them bridge it. I really need to do this one of these day as their signal is nowhere near as good as mine and they'll even admit it.

Sorry for the thread jack OP.

TorchMach

Established Member
Router, my mistake I get confused with this stuff.

Charter Communications supplies the modem and I am paying for 60mpbs a month and want to make sure to get the full benefit of it.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
For routers, Netgear makes some really good ones. The old N900 is a workhorse that you can't really go wrong with (the N750, as well), but it struggles to reach the far ends of a large house. I've been running Netgear routers for years. I'm currently running their juggernaut R8000 Nighthawk X6 AC3200 tri-band router. That bad boy gets the job done. It gets it done so well that it burned out my old Netgear WNDA3100 wireless adapter! LOL I replaced that adapter with their AC1200 USB3.0 adapter. That bad boy picks up signals like a mofo.

TorchMach

Established Member
Netgear R700 wireless router.
SURFboard SB6141 modem.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ if you want to do research yourself. They have the most analytical reviews I've found.

I was leaning towards a Netgear product just wasn't sure which would be good. Thank you I'll check this one out.

Can't help you on modem, but I'm happy with my Asus RT-N66U router: http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-...UTF8&qid=1438365389&sr=8-1&keywords=RT+-+n66u

I'll look at this one as well. Seems like two of you on here really like it. thanks bud.

TorchMach

Established Member
For routers, Netgear makes some really good ones. The old N900 is a workhorse that you can't really go wrong with (the N750, as well), but it struggles to reach the far ends of a large house. I've been running Netgear routers for years. I'm currently running their juggernaut R8000 Nighthawk X6 AC3200 tri-band router. That bad boy gets the job done. It gets it done so well that it burned out my old Netgear WNDA3100 wireless adapter! LOL I replaced that adapter with their AC1200 USB3.0 adapter. That bad boy picks up signals like a mofo.

I have cable, I'll check out the R8000 LOL sounds like the real deal.

TorchMach

Established Member
It ain't cheap, though! So be prepared for sticker shock (compared to other "lesser" routers out there.)

Oh man, ok, I'll check out the 3 everyone has mentioned on here.

However, there is nothing I hate more then lag while giving the D on Battlefield...

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Oh man, ok, I'll check out the 3 everyone has mentioned on here.

However, there is nothing I hate more then lag while giving the D on Battlefield...

If you want a really good cheap one, check out their N900. It's been on the market for a few years now, and you can pickup a new one for well under $100. I'd still be using that one if it had a strong enough signal transmission to reach throughout my whole house and out by the pool.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Have you logged into the interface to see if there is a firmware update?

Should have the IP address on the bottom with a user and password, log in, check for updates. I did this recently and it was very helpful for my laptop. If there are none then it's probably time for a new one, I'm not sure what makes them go out over time but it's really widely accepted that routers have a terrible life compared to other electronics.

TorchMach

Established Member
Have you logged into the interface to see if there is a firmware update?

Should have the IP address on the bottom with a user and password, log in, check for updates. I did this recently and it was very helpful for my laptop. If there are none then it's probably time for a new one, I'm not sure what makes them go out over time but it's really widely accepted that routers have a terrible life compared to other electronics.

Yes, that's what the tech on the phone was explaining to me. That there is a update that is required, and they can provide the tech service on how to do it for $29.99. That's where I got a little upset at the thought of having to pay for a update.

TorchMach

Established Member
I have the R8000 with the Motorola/Arris surfboard, very titty sprinkles. I downloaded a 3GB .ISO of Win7 in about 5 minutes.

Just picked up thr R8000 AustinJ427 you weren't kidding man. This thing was $220 and that was with a price match guarantee.

Thanks for all the help fellas, this thing looks like it'll get the job done.

bdcardinal, what do you mean? you paired it with something else? Will having it connected from the cable's company modem to the new R8000 won't be enough?

Users who are viewing this thread