Best Way To Wax A Black Car?

cobradude111

Established Member
My black cobra needs a new shine! What should I do? What wax, cleaner, etc..... should i use to get the best shine? :shrug:
Thanks

NXGHOST

Established Member
Its all in Prep. Swirl removing properly will make a $2 Turtle Wax look like a $200 wax.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
cobradude111 said:
My black cobra needs a new shine! What should I do? What wax, cleaner, etc..... should i use to get the best shine? :shrug:
Thanks

Different people have different opinions on what "the best shine" is, so you're going to get all kinds of responses from that question. A good thing, nonetheless. :beer:

Anyways, for my black Cobra, here's my process and products(with links):

1) Wash Eimann Fabrik Powerwash+ OR Pinnacle Paintwork Shampoo (NOTE: The Pinnacle carwash is supposed to be specifically for darker colored cars. I'll use a quote from the site: "...As you wash, natural coconut oils attach to released surface dirt. These oils act as a lubricant. Sand and abrasive grit slide off in the rinse water without scratching the surface. Now you can wash your black, red or dark color car without creating those tiny washing swirls!...")
2) Dry with Big Blue Drying Towel (microfiber waffle-weave) (only towel I need to dry the entire car) and free-flow hose method.
3) Pinnacle Poly Clay and Lubricant
4) Wash again with Eimann Fabrik Powerwash+ OR Pinnacle Paintwork Shampoo
5) If the car has swirl marks/paint imperfections, I will apply 3M Perfect It II Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Colored Cars using my Porter Cable 7424 Random Orbital Buffer and a polishing pad. It is a very mildly abrasive polish that is almost idiot-proof, even using the random-orbit PC7424. You'd have to be an ape to damage the paint.
6) Apply Klasse All-In-One with my PC7424 and a finishing pad. I will spritz the pad with 2 shots of Eagle One Wipe N' Shine to help evenly distribute the product. I always do 2 applications on each body panel. It's overkill, but then again, I am always sure that I've cleaned/prepped the paint right each time.
7) Apply Klasse High-Gloss Sealant Glaze with a Microfiber terry pad (both AIO, HGSG and microfiber terry pads come with this kit) that has a spray or two of Eagle One Wipe N' Shine on it (to help evenly spread the Klasse very thinly) by hand. My application method here is wipe-on, wipe off. Thus, wipe on in a VERY thin layer (I mean as thin as you can get it; a drop should do a whole quarter panel or more) and wait about 30 seconds before wiping off with a Microfiber detailing towel. Klasse will give you a shine that I've seen on few cars.
8) After I've completed a whole layer, I'll usually wait a day, then do another.
9) Then, for the ultimate in depth, I'll add a layer of Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba by hand with the foam pad that comes with it. Souveran DEFINITELY isn't cheap, but I've never seen anything quite like my car with a layer of Souveran on it. And let's not forget that Souveran was specifically forumlated with BLACK and RED cars in mind. There are other alternatives to Souveran if it's too expensive though (P21S, S100 which is arguably the exact same product as P21S, Poorboy's Clearkote Carnauba Moose Wax, Zymol, or Zaino).

For more information, I highly recommend going over to www.autopia.org and registering. It is, hands-down, the single most awesome site for correct detailing information on the net. Before posting, just search around and read a bunch, then start asking questions. The people there are SIGNIFICANTLY helpful and will always answer your questions with experience and know-how. I love the place :beer:

Also, a free downloadable eBook put out by the owner of Autopia.org (David Bynon, a wonderful guy who's been detailing for about 30 years) is an invaluable source of information. Here's a link to that page where you can download it for free:

Autopia Guide to Detailing

Nothing like 175 pages of in-depth, accurate information that will answer pretty much any question you ever had about detailing FREE!! :thumbsup:

That process and those products, along with the two informational pieces that I provided, will definitely give you a shine and depth of color that you probably have never seen before. ESPECIALLY since it's black!!

Good luck man, let us know what products you decide to get :beer:

P.S. Check out my sig link for some pics of how steps 1-7 turned out. I didn't do steps 8-9 at the time of those pictures. :beer:

Last edited:

cobradude111

Established Member
Awesome Guys!, I really appreciate the info! Im gonna get on this, its looks like the pc will set me back a few bucks, but i know its worth if I can get my car to look better! :-D Thanks, Ill let you know how it turns out. Oh BTW, If I color sand a car with 2000, Is the pc strong enough to remove the scratches?

Last edited:

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Menzerna IP, plus menzerna FP2 (both pc buffed) wash, zaino. Havent seen anything that comes close to this combo.

Before (whole car was like this)
CIMG0295Small.jpg

After
I know the white line inside the trunk, I got it though lol
CIMG0312Medium.jpg

CIMG0313Medium.jpg

CIMG0311Medium.jpg

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
mike79 said:
Menzerna IP, plus menzerna FP2 (both pc buffed)

Awesome pics, Mike!!

Menzerna makes some very nice polishes. I have seen nothing but good results with them and a PC. Therefore, I highly suggest them :rockon:

I just have yet to use them personally. They are on my list for my next huge detailing products order though :beer:

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Blk03SVTCobra said:
Awesome pics, Mike!!

Menzerna makes some very nice polishes. I have seen nothing but good results with them and a PC. Therefore, I highly suggest them :rockon:

I just have yet to use them personally. They are on my list for my next huge detailing products order though :beer:

They work very well, just make sure the surface of the car is cool, and your in total shade. The polish will pill and ball up if the surface is too hot (which will just add more marring or swirls to the car, not to mention its impossible to remove if it sits in the sun)

I highly, HIGHLy recommend Menzerna!

Users who are viewing this thread