Best way to sell my '03 Sonic Blue Lightning?

qurtrn10

Established Member
I'm close to finishing up the Lightning, and expect to have it ready to sell in about 3-4 weeks. Since it is not stock, I would like to sell it privately and I wonder what ideas everyone has for getting the best price for the truck.

I was thinking of posting it up on all the main forums, with a link to eBaymotors and giving it a few weeks, to give time for people to find it and bid. As long as I put a reasonable reserve, I think I should be okay.

Is there anything else I should do?

I think most here will be familiar with my L. It's at the body shop getting a new front bumper from Tousley painted and installed, as well as touching up the paint on the back bumper (had some light scratches). Then I'm going to replace the headliner and stock overhead console (I'll sell the Navigator overhead, gauges, and gauge pod separately). Next week I should take it in to have the alarm system reinstalled (took it out to swap dash harness for EATC), and she should be ready to go.

Other than what you see in my threads, I did finally go with a bigger sidewall on my rear tires. I think it fits the truck much better than before:
IMAG0120_zps0e40fcfe.jpg

Thanks for any advice,
William

TheRebel

Established Member
I don't know your reasoning or situation for selling it but try to keep it if you can. Otherwise, I've had the most luck on Craigslist but you get a lot of SPAM on it.

qurtrn10

Established Member
Appreciate it Rebel. I've already got my Fox Body 5.0 LX vert that I'll never part with. I've had the Lightning (and its matching SVT Focus) for around five years now, and it's just time for a change. I replaced the SVTF with a BMW 550i for a new daily driver, and will replace the Lightning with a '06 Viper Coupe.
I hadn't considered Craigslist, thinking it would be a small pool of buyers, but I'll definitely give it a shot too when the time comes - thanks.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ebay, craigslist, autotrader etc

lightning specific forums are a joke...guys are selling built motor, aftermarket blower trucks for 15k. I traded my 04 with 56k on it to the dealer and got 16250 + 750 trade in. If I had sold it on the boards I would have been lucky to get 15 for it

edit - I bought my truck on craigslist, he had only posted it 2-3 days before, I called him on Friday and went and bought it the next weekend. Just be prepared to tell people no, you dont want to trade and no you wont take a 92saturn and a thousand cash money for it

Last edited:

qurtrn10

Established Member
When I've looked here recently, it seems Ls similar to mine are selling for the very high teens to low 20s. I figured that I would put it up on eBaymotors, but to get the widest pool of people to look at it, I would advertise it on boards with a link to the ad (like our Market forum here).

I know the potential owner isn't going to be someone who already has a Lightning, so I was thinking of putting up an ad on other Ford sites (like corral).

Any other possibilities?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
you can list it on the Lightning boards, maybe prices have gotten more reasonable for sellers since I left em about a year ago. I know when I was looking for a lightning I checked the lightning boards but just like craigslist I would make it clear your firm on the price to avoid dealing with stupid low ballers

qurtrn10

Established Member
Originally I thought it would be hard to part with my L, but when I see what I want to replace it with:
white_coupe1_zps7a03e381.jpg

...it's somehow not nearly as hard to consider selling it. :)

This would match my new daily driver:
IMAG0012_zpse15e86c6.gif

...and my stang:
DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
nothing sounds quite like a lightning but ya..the viper is pretty sweet. Thatll be one hell of a stable there

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1 on all those places, get it out there the best you can if you really want to sell it. Just know what it books for and what most ppl are paying for the same. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Being 20K or 15K for it. If you can't sell it, then keep it. The reason you see a ok mileage Lightning with a built motor, whipple and such and sold for 15K, cause those parts don't add all the value back to it. Might be worth 15K, has 10K in parts, but it's hard to sell it for 25K due to the parts. You usually have to put it back to stock, minus the engine and hopefully get some of what you put into the engine build. This is just how it goes. With my 05 Mustang GT years back, with all the mods, stage 3 cams, suspension, gears and all the apperance mods...booked for 23K but I sold it for 24K. It would have never sell for 28K due to all the mods. I put a few things back to stock and sold it for 1K over KBB. And the way it looked, low miles and still had cams and CAI...they knew 1K was a great price still and bought it.

Same reason I see a twin turbo Mustang built with 60K in parts for sell at 30K.

but don't get me wrong, there's a sucker born everyday or someone that wants it modded out and will pay for it out of pocket since no bank will really loan that much over on a older vehicle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread