best way to remove rear springs?

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
what is the easiest and best way to remove the rear springs in our cobra's? i have heard that you basicaly have to lower the entire rear suspension. is there an easier way?:shrug: thanks for any help!:beer:

predator

Established Member
I have never done it, but there are a few on this board who have done it a number of times already. Maybe they will chime in. If not, look at the web site for MM and click on their instructions for installing their springs. Should get you pointed in the right direction.

lifter213

Established Member
Its a bitch. Or atleast it was for me. I've heard you can unbolt the whole IRS assembly and they fall right out but i didnt do it that way. Basically i used a internal spring compressor i rented from autozone and still had to remove damn near everything else to get the springs out. Just started removing stuff until i could get them out. I found some instructions i beleive on here but they werent much help. Took me like 8 hours i think to do the rears on mine but i'm not complaining. It beats getting somebody to do it for me and something getting f-ed up on my car.

03CobraRed

Established Member
I got mine out by just removing the rear shock bolts and the lower control arm bolt. Then I used an internal spring compressor and a prybar to get it out and did the same to get it in. It takes a while and a lot of moving around but its well worth it for how it looks.

Dewalt03Cobra

NASCAR Fanatic
Established Member
I just ordered a set of Eibach Pro-kit springs for my 03 Cobra. I was wondering if anyone has these, and how well do they perform as compaired to the stock springs? :shrug:

Silver 03 Cobra

This guy has really nice instructions on the job. I wished I had the patience to take pics and do a site like his. Here's a link to his spring swap.

http://www.lx.net/jlynch/kbspring.htm

DeWalt, they are not going to handle much better. Those springs were made for 99/01 Cobras. The 03 CObra weighs 160 more pounds on the nose. Eibach was too stupid to research the car and it was too easy for them to just add the 03 to their part number. The car will nearly be slammed on the nose. There will be a little over an inch wheel gap on the front and the rear want drop more than 3/4 inches. But, it varies since Eibach is known for their uneven drop. The good news on the rear is the wheel gap is still so great you want notice the difference. The bad news is the front being nearly slammed I can easily tell my left side is about 3/8 inches lower than the right. And it's not because of all the BS excuses Eibach is spewing. It's because they have not done the research and wanted to jump on the 03 market too quickly.

As far as handling, only very slightly btter over stock. I ran cut springs most of the summer and the car handled like it was on rails. When I went back to the Eibachs the car went back to pushing like a sail boat. The reason I went to the Eibachs is because I needed to raise the rear up when I put 315 BFG's on the back. There was a national back order on stock OEM 03 Cobra springs so I got the Eibachs.

Dewalt03Cobra

NASCAR Fanatic
Established Member
Thanks for the install web site info. It's disappointing to hear about these Eibach springs. I checked and it's correct what your saying about just adding another model year on the same old spring. I'm going to measure everything before and after installation. And if there are any problems, there going back.:bash:

03InThe11s

Established Member
well, i removed my factory springs yesterday, cut them and installed them last night, and took pics at work today. here ya go. rides factory, handles better, and looks a helluva lot better. no more 4wd. ended up using an internal spring compressor from autozone to remove the rear springs. i didnt have to do anything else, they just came right out. total working time was only about 4 hours, and that includes cutting and reinstalling. thanks for the help guys!

03InThe11s

Established Member
1 coil in the front, and 3/4 coil in the rear. my rear end is app. 3/4 of an inch higher in the rear. doesnt look like it in that picture though.

Users who are viewing this thread