best way to clean out a fuel tank on a car?

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
I pulled the fuel tank out of my car and am going to clean it since the gas that was in it was in there for around 5 years. There is a little varnish on the inside of the tank. What is the best way to clean this and also do I need to coat it in something afterwards? Its an aluminum fuel tank out of a 2004 mustang gt

nxhappy

Established Member
I think simple green would do a great job. I used to use it to clean the shit out of varnished carbs. And it won't hurt the tank. You could also try purple power.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
I wonder if a Brillo pad with simple green or something would hurt the inside of the tank, don't these have a lining of some sort or some protective coating?

oldmodman

Established Member
Best solution would be to take it to a fuel tank repair shop and get it "boiled out" They use caustic chemicals that get it absolutely clean.

The only home grown method that has much of a chance of working is to go to a pool supply company and buy a five gallon can of muriatic acid and slosh it around in there until it looks totally clean. be sure to use a mirror to look everywhere too.

You can get it at Home Depot and other home builder supply stores but it will be much cheaper at a pool supply.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Brillo, sand paper, etc. I'd imagine if you didn't leave any existing residue, particles it should be fine. Then maybe soak some fuel in it and empty it out.

Last edited:

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Best solution would be to take it to a fuel tank repair shop and get it "boiled out" They use caustic chemicals that get it absolutely clean.

The only home grown method that has much of a chance of working is to go to a pool supply company and buy a five gallon can of muriatic acid and slosh it around in there until it looks totally clean. be sure to use a mirror to look everywhere too.

You can get it at Home Depot and other home builder supply stores but it will be much cheaper at a pool supply.

This.

if you go the DIY route, MAKE SURE you keep the surfaces wet. muriatic acid is just watered down hydrochloric acid. 15-30% IIRC. might be less, im not exactly at the store. Anyhow, its fairly safe as in it wont eat your skin off in 30 seconds or anything but it will burn mildly the longer you expose your hands to it. i recommend nitrile gloves and breathing aparatus since youll have to be pretty close to the fumes. at least use a fan and be directly in the airflow path. the fumes will burn your eyes and lungs the longer youre exposed. the smell is horrific, youll know when to move lol.

dilute the acid even further, at least 4:1 with water. 10:1 is ideal and most safe but might take longer. either way, ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER. heat is generated when the 2 are combined and it can burp in your face if youre uncareful.

spray some water inside the tank as bast you can then use the acid. it wont take long. dont let it sit and DO NOT let it dry. rinse thoroughly with lots of water and add baking soda to the run off to neutralize it. the baking soda will foam in the acid, making carbon dioxide and some salts. its not violent or anything, just be aware.

alternatively, you could buy a gallon of b12 chemtool. just as hazardous though.

my experience with muriatic acid: cleaning concrete, clean bare aluminum engine parts, refinishing aluminum wheels.

Last edited:

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
What's the set up on the back side of it? Not sure if the nipples on mine are stock or not since it's not the stock style fuel system

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Yes I'm sorry I meant to quote you
[video=youtube;SOmd3BoE4YU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOmd3BoE4YU[/video]

I assume with the previous link you would be refering to the 2nd picture..

Looks like in the video to be a vent of some kind. As far as your connections go, un less you have a sumped tank with connections at the back and underneath, I would think the fuel system should hook up ok. But I cant vouch without knowing the system and laying eyes on it

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
It's a twin walbro fuel pump set up is what I know. Thanks for that video. That actually helped me a good bit

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Twin walbro would still use a factory style pump insert. So the replacement tank should work fine. Any of the connections will be at your fuel hat and those will be transferred to your new tank

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
He did tell me its a return style system. Im new to all the high performance fuel side of these cars, actually this is the first engine ive torn down so its all a learning experience

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
This is what I was concerned about. I wasn't sure if this was factory or not ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457191519.411392.jpg

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
Also would putting a coat of paint on the tank be ok? Just want something on the outside to kind of protect it under the factory plastic

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
That would most defiantly not be factory. Id say your options are taking it to professional cleaner at this point, as mentioned.

You could paint if wanted, it is aluminum so prep work would be needed and it would have to be pretty good to get it to not peel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread