Best Wax To Use Before Winter

buckeyetough1975

Established Member
With winter approaching, I’m looking to put a good coat of wax on my 01 Cobra before the weather gets nasty in November/December. Sadly, I don’t have a garage to put it in, but I plan on putting a good car cover over it during the winter. With so many waxes out there, I am just looking for recommendations for a good wax to apply before winter.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I don't think there's a specific wax just for what you're wanting to do. I tend to use Mothers or Meguiars. With a couple off shoots for other stuff.

I think the main concern will be making sure the paint doesn't get wet under the cover and that it doesn't rub against the paint because of wind. That can do some damage.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
The "BEST" wax is subjective. Do some research on your own to see if the majority agree.

With that in mind, this past spring I detailed my truck, minus the polishing stage. I used CAR GUYS Premium Liquid Wax on my truck. This stuff got rave reviews and is almost always sold out. I just recently bought a larger bottle to have more just in case I need it. If not, at least I know I have it. I'm trying to get another coat on it before winter time. It's "supposed" to last 6 months or more.
For the 4 months that I have the wax on, it shines my truck and it protects my truck very well.
Good luck!

04MysticCobra

Established Member
The "BEST" wax is subjective. Do some research on your own to see if the majority agree.

With that in mind, this past spring I detailed my truck, minus the polishing stage. I used CAR GUYS Premium Liquid Wax on my truck. This stuff got rave reviews and is almost always sold out. I just recently bought a larger bottle to have more just in case I need it. If not, at least I know I have it. I'm trying to get another coat on it before winter time. It's "supposed" to last 6 months or more.
For the 4 months that I have the wax on, it shines my truck and it protects my truck very well.
Good luck!

Nice Tony and so true about waxes/sealants. I just ordered some Collinite #476 to put on my daily drivers for the winter months here. Its a great insulator wax with great protection. I don't use it on my garaged rides only on the ones who will meet the liquid salt this winter.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice Tony and so true about waxes/sealants. I just ordered some Collinite #476 to put on my daily drivers for the winter months here. Its a great insulator wax with great protection. I don't use it on my garaged rides only on the ones who will meet the liquid salt this winter.
Absolutely Steve. It's all subjective.
That Collinite stuff is great as well. I hear and read good things about Collinite. Same with me, I only use wax on my daily driver for the protection of rains, snow, everyday fallouts. The Roush has the Zaino polish treatment, which I'm trying to get another coat of polish on, but between doing this and that, I have no time. (I am going to get it ceramic coated at some point. Hopefully soon.) Unless I want to skip rest, but I don't want to skip rest. lol :D

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Absolutely Steve. It's all subjective.
That Collinite stuff is great as well. I hear and read good things about Collinite. Same with me, I only use wax on my daily driver for the protection of rains, snow, everyday fallouts. The Roush has the Zaino polish treatment, which I'm trying to get another coat of polish on, but between doing this and that, I have no time. (I am going to get it ceramic coated at some point. Hopefully soon.) Unless I want to skip rest, but I don't want to skip rest. lol :D

Great Tony.....I used Zaino products for years with great success. Sal Zaino created those products here in NJ and many have run into Sal at car shows in the early years when he was pushing the products. These days after great prep I am using Wolfgang SIO2 paint sealant on my Shelby and Escape. Both are Red and really like the results with this product. I will not do ceramic coatings because I have been a life long detailer and enjoy doing the PC machine and hand work. It keeps me busy and out of trouble....lol.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Great Tony.....I used Zaino products for years with great success. Sal Zaino created those products here in NJ and many have run into Sal at car shows in the early years when he was pushing the products. These days after great prep I am using Wolfgang SIO2 paint sealant on my Shelby and Escape. Both are Red and really like the results with this product. I will not do ceramic coatings because I have been a life long detailer and enjoy doing the PC machine and hand work. It keeps me busy and out of trouble....lol.
HA HAAAA

Awesome.
Yes Sal Zaino is a brilliant guy with the car stuff. Good guy too.

blue 07

Established Member
CERAMIC for longevity and outside parking for sure ! Be careful using a cover outside. When the wind blows it will scratch your paint no matter how good a cover especially on all corners of quarter panels, c pillars as well.

buckeyetough1975

Established Member
I appreciate all the tips. I’ve been a Mothers and Meguires guy on all my other daily drivers and have had good luck. I just wanted to get an idea of what everyone else is using and what they suggest. When I purchased my 01 Cobra in July, I used Meguires cleaner wax on it after the first time I washed it and it turned out great. I tried that 303 touchless sealant about a month ago and it really did a nice job.

For those that have cautioned about using a cover outside due to the wind creating scratches, would it be recommended to just skip the cover in the winter or should I just put it on the car when we’re expecting nasty weather?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I would go the opposite way myself. Keep the car covered day to day to keep the dust and sun off of it. If the weather gets nasty/windy pull the cover and store it inside.

Hef

Established Member
I don't think there's a specific wax just for what you're wanting to do. I tend to use Mothers or Meguiars. With a couple off shoots for other stuff.

I think the main concern will be making sure the paint doesn't get wet under the cover and that it doesn't rub against the paint because of wind. That can do some damage.
Yes, the wind, any slight movement over the course of the winter will rub your car and no wax will prevent that. I know that's not a solution, sorry to hear you don't have a garage. One fall/winter i was moving to another house so I put my old fox in a storage unit. Put it on jack stands, pulled the battery and checked on it time to time. Approx. $20 a month for 3 to 4 months is cheaper than a paint job.

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Hef

Established Member
And make sure your insurance covers storage and such. Maybe insure it for a flat price so if anything happens, your covered the full amount not just what they appraise it for.

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread