best turbo intake

jsucil89

Established Member
Looking for some advice on intake manifolds for my new turbo build. Nothing too special; a single Precision dual bb 82 with large front mount air to air IC on a built aluminator long block with ported heads/JM cams. Current options I am aware of for intake manifolds are:

1) Sullivan upper/lower = reasonably priced but sacrafice some mid range power with short intake runners. I like the front mount tb.
2) HPP upper/sullivan lower = not sure on total price, but I read the mid range power is slightly increased over option 1. I don't like the pass facing tb mount.
3) Hogan custom intake = SICK, but very expensive.
4) MMR custom custom billet runners with fabricated sheet metal upper = SICK, but also expensive.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
99/01 cobra im is a good choice. cheap and vastly superior mid range power and trq. the sullivan passes it in peak power past 6k. what you do with the car will matter the most tho. do you daily drive it, race car, weekends at the drag strip etc?

Last edited:

jsucil89

Established Member
99/01 cobra im is a good choice. cheap and vastly superior mid range power and trq. the sullivan passes it in peak power past 6k. what you do with the car will matter the most tho. do you daily drive it, race car, weekends at the drag strip etc?

Yes, I was aware of this option as well, but ruled it out due to the peak power results. My car will be more of a race application...track primarily, but some weekend street duty.

gt347mustang

Established Member
Auto or 6 speed?

6 speed + sullivan + 82mm turbo will suck for around town driving.

If its an auto, I say go for the sully package, but if its a 6 speed stick with a 99/01 or mach intake.

fs308

4v noob
Established Member
there is several companies out there that can make elbows. the sullivan utilizes a 4150 base so just check around

laroo

Established Member
I have the combo it is hard on the upper I'm also running a 2 inch spacer. my combo is this hell razor kit, twin 67s . Lentech with 3.55 gears but the combo does have its downfalls. It needs a bigger volume chamber. And the runner length is unequal.

jsucil89

Established Member
I have the combo it is hard on the upper I'm also running a 2 inch spacer. my combo is this hell razor kit, twin 67s . Lentech with 3.55 gears but the combo does have its downfalls. It needs a bigger volume chamber. And the runner length is unequal.

Would you do this upper/lower combo if you did it again?

I8URLS1

Established Member
Have you looked into having Logan Motorsports build you an intake? That is who I went with and he is currently building my intake. GREAT customer service too

I8URLS1

Established Member
I do like the look of that intake, but doubt it'll clear the stock hood lol.

P.S. Nice SN-95

Yeah stock hood I doubt, I am having mine shortened slightly in hopes of keeping it under my 2.5" hood

Thank you for the compliment, it's not looking so good right now haha

OW99

Established Member
Maybe match the intake to what cams you got. If the jm cams have a wide lsa then the off boost torque that a 99/01 intake can provide will be complimented instead of killed with the Sullivan. If the lsa is narrow (like lower than stock) then the Sullivan might not be as bad off boost, when compared to wide lsa cams.

And if you shift over 6,500 rpm the Sullivan will be quicker regardless lol.

jsucil89

Established Member
I have the HPP upper with sully lower. Descent mid range and great top end. I shift at 7k.

I've heard great things about this combo. Did you ever run a different setup previously... or only this combo? Can you post or pm me pics of your complete setup?

stangfreak

Established Member
I'm sure someone has feedback on the HPP/Sullivan combo.... Lets hear

mustang magics twin turbo mach 1 switched over to the hpp/Sullivan combo and picked up a shit load of power.

The comp orange tt cobra that they built also has the hpp/Sullivan combo and it goes 8's at 165 with a 4r70w fb transmission. when I go turbo, im doing that combo. it just works

Users who are viewing this thread