Best tires for 1997 Cobra

tbone7467

Established Member
So there are tons and tons of talk on the forum about rims and tires. I can't read every post so...

My current set up is 17x9 255/45/17 and 17x10.5 285/40/17. I need to replace both my rims and tires. I have usually only ran BFgoodrich Tires on the car. I have the KDWS on the back but I hear they are discontinued in my size. I have had the back tires on for years probably 10 (was parked for 2-3 years). I have Michelins on the from but not super impressed with them. They look way taller then the KDWS that they replaced. Now the front end sits higher then I would like. I am going to be replacing rims on the car at the same time as my cobra R rims are Looking like they might fail. I have some cracking about lug nut holes. Not sure why I don't drive aggressive and slide around corners. With that upgrade Im looking at 18's. i thought about 18 front and 19 back but couldn't see anyone that had that set up so Ill skip that. I am looking to go 295 or 305 in back. I like the big foot print, I don't want to have to modify anything or have rubbing at all.

I have been thinking about the KDW but I heard summer tires have horrible wear as the tread is so much softer. when I lived in washington it wasn't unheard of for me to have to drive in snow a few time. I now live in Northern California so the summer tires might be ok. Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

tbone7467

Established Member
Im looking at getting 265/35/18 front and 285/35/18 rear Im looking at putting them on these rims:
rims and color.jpg

I have currently 17x10 with a 27 offset and the new rims are 18x10 with a 22 offset will this matter? Im not sure how offset works. Im interested in it looking like this when its done:

white96cobra.jpg

I believe this owner is a member here I would love to know what his rim and tire size is. Any help would be appreciated...

My current setup is Maximum motorsport caster and camber plates, blistein hd shocks, and Eibach Pro Kit.

Last edited:

LDC2335

Established Member
275/35/18 for front and 295/35/18 on rear BFG KDWs. My current set is wearing very nicely and when the time comes, I WILL buy them again.

Good rim choice, should look nice.

tbone7467

Established Member
Thanks I looking at the Michelin AS3's, I like the KDW and have had the KDWS's on the rear right now. they have lasted since 2008. Do you have rubbing with that size upfront?

LDC2335

Established Member
Thanks I looking at the Michelin AS3's, I like the KDW and have had the KDWS's on the rear right now. they have lasted since 2008. Do you have rubbing with that size upfront?

Rubs fender liner slightly at full turn, I'm on h&r supersport springs .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread