Best tire?

Samwebb

Established Member
What are your favorite tires & why? In the market for new tires. Want 305s or 315s in the rear and 245s up front, and I want the same tire in front and rear. Not into mismatched tires. I'm leaning towards a more corner oriented tire. Will be used primarily for daily driving, so I want something that will last. I was looking at the Toyo Proxes R888 and Nitto NT01 but my main concern with those is that I'm afraid they'll wear out fast. Any suggestions / advice appreciated.

b_dike

Established Member
If your looking for a daily tire I'd run the nt555's. Not the greatest performance, but I've got almost 30k miles out of mine. Also it would help to know how much HP your car makes.

My cobra at 455/501 completely overwhelms these tires in 1st and 2nd.

Samwebb

Established Member
Just a stock Mach 1 so about 300 right now. But will have 4.10s soon and hope to have it close to 400hp by the summer.

b_dike

Established Member
Just a stock Mach 1 so about 300 right now. But will have 4.10s soon and hope to have it close to 400hp by the summer.

In that case... The 555's would be perfect for you. Capable handling tire with a stiff sidewall, good tread wear, cheap, and safe in the rain.

Seabiscuit

GIDDY-UP!!!
Established Member
I would recommend Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta. A somewhat obscure tire in the U.S. but a great daily driver tire nonetheless. Take a second to do some research on these. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. BTW, I currently run these on my cobra.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I actually don't really like the nitto 555. In my opinion I think there a bit overrated. I've had them on my 90gt, 92 notchback, and on my cobra when I bought it. They never seem to last for me. I honestly would pick my current toyo extenza hp's ( which I only have on the front) over the nitto's 555. I also can't justify spending the big coin on going R888's on all four corners.

akeohan

Established Member
I bought R888's (all 4's) this summer to replace some crappy Sumitomos the previous owner put on and all I can say is F-ya! They grip well and run smooth. Now the downside is price and mileage but I don’t drive man mile a year and I wanted the grip.

Samwebb

Established Member
I generally only put about 4k miles on my car per year, however I am driving it from New Mexico to Florida & back this summer. Which obviously raises concern. It would suck to spend upwards of $1300+ on tires only to toast them on a roadtrip. But they look so great and I would love that grip.

Samwebb

Established Member
I'm hesitant of going wider than 245 because I don't want to have clearance issues. (I plan on having the car very low by the time wheels are on)

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm hesitant of going wider than 245 because I don't want to have clearance issues. (I plan on having the car very low by the time wheels are on)

Your going with the raked look? What setup? You might want to make sure your exhaust is also tucked up as much as possible! Going to be a bumpy ride on that road trip! Also make sure you do a 4 wheel alignment or those tires might not even make the trip, lol.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
A 245 on a 17x9 rim? That seems a bit sketchy. I don't even like running a 245 tire on 17x8's.

Winebag

I would strongly recommend grabbing a pair of Mickey Thompson Street comp 315s for that road trip. I found a sweet deal when they were
$99 a tire, looks like they have went up to $124, but would be great for those road trip occasions. It's been cold here in NC so i've yet to test how good they can grip in warm weather. They spin pretty good in 2nd on my Terminator with 459rwhp, but I bet they would work out great for you. Here's the site that has them the cheapest that I know of. http://www.performanceplustire.com/products/tires/searchType/searchBySize/tireSize/315_SLASH_35-17

jpk

Established Member
I would strongly recommend grabbing a pair of Mickey Thompson Street comp 315s for that road trip. I found a sweet deal when they were
$99 a tire, looks like they have went up to $124, but would be great for those road trip occasions. It's been cold here in NC so i've yet to test how good they can grip in warm weather. They spin pretty good in 2nd on my Terminator with 459rwhp, but I bet they would work out great for you. Here's the site that has them the cheapest that I know of. http://www.performanceplustire.com/products/tires/searchType/searchBySize/tireSize/315_SLASH_35-17

I just went with the Mickey Thompson Street Comp in stock tire size for my Cobra and am very happy. It was between these and the Vredestein mentioned earlier, because I wanted a tire that would give me confidence in wet conditions. The MT tires are very affordable, but a major upgrade over the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 I was using. They have a stiffer ride that communicate better and track smoothly on the freeway. Wheel hop is not present.

Probably not as sticky as the R888, but I think a much safer street tire that still handles really well and gives great feedback.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I have 255's in front on my oem 17X8 with zero clearance issues and my car is lowered close to 2".I like the look 275's are too wide for my taste and 245 a bit too small. And FYI Cooper makes Mickey Thompson sport comps and they have the exact same tire in their line..

Users who are viewing this thread