Best slick for an irs car?

SOVACobra03

I have an addiction......
Established Member
I'm going with a 28x10.5x15 slick for sure but idk what brand. Also what's this about stiff side wall that some have? Thanks.

Jmurrz

Established Member
I would run a MT Et Drag. I run a 26x10.5 Et street on 16's (they dont make the ET drag in 16"). And I am really happy with them. I can only imagine that the ET drag will hook up even better. I am around 600hp and they hooked pretty well.

SOVACobra03

Established Member
I have a set of 4:10s in mine so I'm really wanting the taller tire to open the gearing up a little. At the top of 4th at the end of the 1/4 right now. Not sure my power level but it was about 600 before the extra 2psi timing and e85

Jmurrz

Established Member
I have a set of 4:10s in mine so I'm really wanting the taller tire to open the gearing up a little. At the top of 4th at the end of the 1/4 right now. Not sure my power level but it was about 600 before the extra 2psi timing and e85

Yeah with 600+ and 4.10's you will want a 28" tire for sure.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I'd guess 99% of us run MT ET Drag 28" stiff sidewalls. I've been through at least 5 sets myself and love them.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
You want the tallest tire or the tallest sidewall you can get for the IRS so it helps absorb the shock of the launch and hopefully saves the halfshafts. That's why the 28" slick on a 15" rim is by far superior.

SOVACobra03

Established Member
You want the tallest tire or the tallest sidewall you can get for the IRS so it helps absorb the shock of the launch and hopefully saves the halfshafts. That's why the 28" slick on a 15" rim is by far superior.
That's why I went with 15x8 RTSs. Wanted all the side wall i could get lol

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
That's why I went with 15x8 RTSs. Wanted all the side wall i could get lol

Smart man lol.

Don't get me wrong people have great luck with 26" tires but in theory the taller the sidewall the more it helps the IRS live or the halfshafts themselves at least.

SOVACobra03

Established Member
Smart man lol.

Don't get me wrong people have great luck with 26" tires but in theory the taller the sidewall the more it helps the IRS live or the halfshafts themselves at least.
You running those on an 8 or 10" rim? I want the taller for the shock absorbing effect and to help me on the big end. I'm literally on the bitter end of 4th now when I cross the line.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
No sir I never ran tubes. Then if we used any (I will not say I recommend this lol) lube on the rims during installation it was very minimal. My car weighs 3,850lbs+ and after a few runs with new slicks they typically never move on the rims at all. It's a transbrake car too and it is used lol.

Now if you use to much lube for installation like I've had someone do unknowingly each launch the tire will move on the rim. Sometimes up to 2" too! Or at least mine did.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
They may leak a little but meh who cares? I have one that holds air basically forever and the other leaks slow. To me it's no big deal.

SOVACobra03

Established Member
Haha its not like they are street tires and not like I won't be checking the air in them before I start making runs anyways

Users who are viewing this thread