Best single disc clutch?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Car will never see the drag just the occasional roll. Don't see the need to spend 1k plus on a clutch. Looking for stock pedal effort or easier. Spec 3 looks like an option for 400. Thoughts on a flywheel as well?

68gtscode

Established Member
When AED did my 03 Cobra (made a bit more than your target) about ten years ago, they installed Promotion clutch. I don’t remember what exact model it was, but I’m sure Promotion can advise. It had a very light pedal, no chatter, and held the power without issue.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
A number of us have the Spec 3+. We all seem to agree that the pedal effort is reduced, it holds the power well, and doesn't cost a fortune. Only real downside is that it chatters in first from a stop. Hill starts sometimes make me feel like a rookie all over again. I opted for the matching flywheel from Spec with the billet insert. I often wonder if the clutch would chatter less had I kept the heavier stock flywheel.

Is a Centerforce dual friction still a thing? I put one in my old GT and it worked great. Granted I was at 1/3 the power, but it drove smooth as silk.

john11gt

Established Member
A number of us have the Spec 3+. We all seem to agree that the pedal effort is reduced, it holds the power well, and doesn't cost a fortune. Only real downside is that it chatters in first from a stop. Hill starts sometimes make me feel like a rookie all over again. I opted for the matching flywheel from Spec with the billet insert. I often wonder if the clutch would chatter less had I kept the heavier stock flywheel.

Is a Centerforce dual friction still a thing? I put one in my old GT and it worked great. Granted I was at 1/3 the power, but it drove smooth as silk.
I’ve been running the centerforce dual friction in my fox for a while and has been smooth as silk for 5k’ish miles. I just pulled the trans a couple days ago to start my th400 swap.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Another question for the flywheel, steel, light weight steel or aluminum? Would like to get this right the first time. Chatter coming out of first would be annoying.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Center force dual friction is what i would recommend. Aluminum flywheel too.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i've had good experiences with the ram hd and the mcleod super street pro. but especially the ram, and they would be my first choice if i ever go back to a single disc.

i did not like the centerforce dfx, it did not last nearly as long as the others.

i have never tried spec.

fw i always buy aluminum of the same mfr

450/450 daily driver

Rambro

Established Member
I’ve had two Promotion clutches in my car. I liked the old basic one when I had an eaton, and now I have the one rated for 700 ft pounds with the blue spec pressure plate and it’s been good so far. I have an aluminum flywheel and it’s not as easy to get going from a stop as a steel one would.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I'm leaning towards steel or lightened steel for drivability that's what the shop recommends. I spent 1200+ on a McLeod rxt setup for my gt500 years ago and really couldn't tell any difference between it and the stocker. It felt like I could have used the money for other mods. I do like how the t56 shifts and clutch feels on what I assume is a stockish setup. We will see when the trans comes out. I put an mgw just to shorten the throw a little but overall I like it better then driving a tr6060 car.

68gtscode

Established Member
I’ve had two Promotion clutches in my car. I liked the old basic one when I had an eaton, and now I have the one rated for 700 ft pounds with the blue spec pressure plate and it’s been good so far. I have an aluminum flywheel and it’s not as easy to get going from a stop as a steel one would.
The Promotion clutch in my car also had a blue Spec pressure plate. I didn’t put many miles on that car, but the clutch had great manners.

CobraSam

Established Member
Centerforce Dual friction. Used them in 3 Foxbody cars all with over 500 rwhp, great clutch. Best option IMO.

68gtscode

Established Member
^ I had a Centerforce dual friction in a supercharged 2V long ago, and agree it was great. But, what is the HP and torque rating?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Years ago a buddy bought a clutch from Promotion. He sent me pictures of the spots where they removed the Spec stickers. Might be worth eliminating the middle man.

68gtscode

Established Member
Years ago a buddy bought a clutch from Promotion. He sent me pictures of the spots where they removed the Spec stickers. Might be worth eliminating the middle man.
I’m not 100% sure, but believe Promotion blueprints them or modifies them in some way. I’m not positive, but it could be similar to referring to ID as a middleman for Bosch?

CobraSam

Established Member
^ I had a Centerforce dual friction in a supercharged 2V long ago, and agree it was great. But, what is the HP and torque rating?
I want to say the rating was right around 500. But I know from first hand experience it can handle at least that while launching on drag slicks.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Another vote for Spec 3+. You just have to learn it is on/off and not try to slip it in first. That eliminates the chatter. I have the Fidanzia aluminum flywheel with a replaceable steel insert.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I’m not 100% sure, but believe Promotion blueprints them or modifies them in some way. I’m not positive, but it could be similar to referring to ID as a middleman for Bosch?
Possibly. I do remember he didn't have good luck with it. But generally he was the guy that if it could go wrong to someone it would happen to him.

nitrojunk

Established Member
Spec Stage 2+ - car makes 650 RWH and it holds the power just fine .. pair it with R888R's on a hot day and the car hooks great

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Well was about to make my order today but lethal recommended the McLeod street extreme over the spec 3. They both will hold about 700 with lightened steel flywheel. Both are about the same price wise which would you choose?

Users who are viewing this thread