Best shift light color?

omj

Established Member
I'm getting a dual stage Raptor shift light. I have the option of blue, red, yellow or green leds. Which one is best for day and night time use? I'm planning on putting the light in the vent. I'm leaning toward red since it has the least affect on your night vision.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Yellow is the most noticeable, imo. I had a yellow shift light in the 99 and it was easy to see in the daylight and not too bright at night.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Green is the most sensitive color to your eyes, so if you wanted something that was easily noticeable.

But honestly, I would get whichever color you like the most.

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
Green is the most sensitive color to your eyes, so if you wanted something that was easily noticeable.

But honestly, I would get whichever color you like the most.

at the track tonight there was a guy running a LT1 maro that had a Green shift light, looked wicked!!!!

divided

Established Member
I had little red ones in my Aeroforces and even though they were tiny it was plenty to see at night. Red would be my vote.

mustang_guy

Established Member
I had the red I've in my old GT and ur was bright. I'm thinking of buying a small autometer one for my cobra. From what I'm told it works and hooks up the same way a the raptor

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
i love my green one...

73745171.jpg

74e4388a.jpg

03VenomBite

Established Member
Not trying to steel this thread but how hard is it to install a shift light? Easier in vent or in the middle of the tach and speedometer, out side of the plastic cover?

sixties

60s Muscle
I chose red to match the color of the dash lights. I have a 2010 GT500 and have set the dash lighting color to red.

In general your pupils will slightly dilate for night time vision and contract during the day. At night, any bright light, of shorter visible wavelengths, will cause the pupils to contract causing reduced vision.

Red does not cause appreciable pupil contraction because of its longer wavelength. That's why red lighting was used on non-nuclear submarines. It allowed the sub to surface at night and the crew to instantly see with pupils dilated for night vision.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Wow, I had no idea so much went into choosing the shift light color!

Red or green hands down. As to what you'll see better at night/in the day, well, the color doesn't really matter. It's LED, you'll see any of em if they're worth a damn.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread