Best SCT tuners?

HiTechRedneck

Established Member
Well I've finally decided the best route since the tuner is gone and the company is out of business.I already have a Live Wire used to tune my truck and since it runs perfectly and the truck is out of warranty, I will leave that tune in it, unlock the Live Wire and use it to put a good safe tune in the snake that will support the headers and intake. I'll do the unlock first on the LW, have my cousins at the dealership flash the car back to stock so I have a baseline and then re-tune, so my question is - who is a good solid tuner for the GT350's?
The real reason for all this nonsense is that it was tuned for 93 octane and we only have 91 here in Arkansas.

96gt02

Established Member
Im torn on tuners for my 350 as well, basically from all my research it seems like either Lund or PBD are the most popular

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Well I've finally decided the best route since the tuner is gone and the company is out of business.I already have a Live Wire used to tune my truck and since it runs perfectly and the truck is out of warranty, I will leave that tune in it, unlock the Live Wire and use it to put a good safe tune in the snake that will support the headers and intake. I'll do the unlock first on the LW, have my cousins at the dealership flash the car back to stock so I have a baseline and then re-tune, so my question is - who is a good solid tuner for the GT350's?
The real reason for all this nonsense is that it was tuned for 93 octane and we only have 91 here in Arkansas.
Hmmm... If I remember correctly, you can't unmarry an SCT tuner from a vehicle without putting the vehicle back to stock first. Or am I missing something? As someone who had two tuners for a while, you can actually do it, but it takes two tuners.

HiTechRedneck

Established Member
I believe that the device has to be sent to SCT to have it done, but it is possible. It sounds like a lot to deal with but with Dallas Mustang out of business I'm just not sure how aggressive they got with the tune that's in the car now to know if it can overcome the 91 octane here vs. 93 in Dallas.

96gt02

Established Member
Yes you have to ship to sct and pay them $150 to unmarry it, alternatively if your interested in selling it married I pay $200 shipped for TS+ married

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
I believe that the device has to be sent to SCT to have it done, but it is possible. It sounds like a lot to deal with but with Dallas Mustang out of business I'm just not sure how aggressive they got with the tune that's in the car now to know if it can overcome the 91 octane here vs. 93 in Dallas.
Thinking about this a bit more, and reflecting on my experience when I had two SCT tuners on hand, it occurred to me that if you have a "new" (ready to be married to a vehicle) tuner, you can just have it download the 93 tune that's on the car as though it's the factory tune. Then, just load up a new tune. The SCT will think that your 93 tune is "stock" and you can go back to it later if you want to. If you really do want to go back to stock, then get a dealer to flash it.

HiTechRedneck

Established Member
Thinking about this a bit more, and reflecting on my experience when I had two SCT tuners on hand, it occurred to me that if you have a "new" (ready to be married to a vehicle) tuner, you can just have it download the 93 tune that's on the car as though it's the factory tune. Then, just load up a new tune. The SCT will think that your 93 tune is "stock" and you can go back to it later if you want to. If you really do want to go back to stock, then get a dealer to flash it.
I don't mind the $150 and flashing to stock to have a baseline is easy and free - dealer is a cousin! The biggest question really is who is a reputable tuner for these motors??

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
I liked my flex tune from lund, we actually have 2 e85 stations close to me and I’m in AR too. I have no experience with other companies because lund has always been fast to respond and didn’t take too many revisions/data logging to get it where i was happy.

*full disclosure, my engine started consuming oil randomly and tune was not cause...it was hard to drive the new engine the break in miles without that tune...loved it.

HiTechRedneck

Established Member
I liked my flex tune from lund, we actually have 2 e85 stations close to me and I’m in AR too. I have no experience with other companies because lund has always been fast to respond and didn’t take too many revisions/data logging to get it where i was happy.

*full disclosure, my engine started consuming oil randomly and tune was not cause...it was hard to drive the new engine the break in miles without that tune...loved it.
I had used 5 Star for previous gas trucks but was also thinking of Lund or Bama. What part of AR? We're finally back home in Clarksville after 20+ years. Ours only has 4K miles and PO says no oil consumption issues. Grateful to be able to be in contact with him.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Grew up in Paragould, now down the road in Jonesboro...northeast corner, the flat part lol.

I watched mine like a hawk, because of what I’d read, and it was almost nothing(besides a little more in my catch can than my coyote), but then at 6k miles it just came outta nowhere...slowly increasing until it met replacement requirements.

If I’m picking between those two, it’s lund all the way. I seem to recall some AED tuned 350s that were very happy also.

96gt02

Established Member
I would stick with Lund or PBD, also another good less popular option is DTP who does all the jlt packages for the 350s

HiTechRedneck

Established Member
Decided to keep the Livewire as is for the truck. Got the nGuage and went with Lund - very responsive. Flashed with stock, drove home easily - just a few miles and then installed the gauge and installed the tune. Now to datalog and get that to Brandon for fine tuning. Hated to sacrifice the dyno tune but with no 93 octane close and word from the PO that he was told use only 93 because it's a hot tune, but I'm sure after I get the final from Lund all will be well and safer on the motor.

Users who are viewing this thread