best replacement clutch cable?

YELOSNK

Established Member
Just got the car back from having a new clutch and flywheel installed* and unfortunately it seems my clutch cable is stretched to the point of needing to be replaced, as even with the firewall adjuster maxed it's loose. Is there any particular one that's better than the others?

My memory from way back is the recommendation was to stick with the stock non-adjustable, but that seems long gone. I see Ford Performance has an adjustable and then of course there's Steeda, BBK, etc., etc. Not sure, though, if one has been more reliable over the years. If for some reason it matters, my quadrant and adjuster are both Steeda.

edit: looks like the ford perf has to be used with the ford perf quadrant, so that's out.

*McLeod aluminum f/w with super street pro clutch

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'm sure FRPP is just saying the cable has to be used to with their quadrant to either sell more quadrants or cover their ass for some reason. All the cables I've see have the same end that goes under the dash. Also, check your quadrant to see if it has multiple hooks. You might be able to move the location of the hook.

I'm one of those that says to use the stock cable, but it does seem that some of the aftermarket adjustables are coming up. My buddy has one and it's doing ok. Granted he's not hard on the car by any means. So YMMV.

And FWIW a foxbody cable will fit our cars. I had an adjustable cable start to come apart on me and my buddy had a bunch of cables on his wall since he was a hoarder of fox parts. I threw one in to get me by until I could get a new cable. That was 7ish years and close to 30k miles ago. I'll get around to it one day.

YELOSNK

Established Member
I'm sure FRPP is just saying the cable has to be used to with their quadrant to either sell more quadrants or cover their ass for some reason. All the cables I've see have the same end that goes under the dash. Also, check your quadrant to see if it has multiple hooks. You might be able to move the location of the hook.

I'm one of those that says to use the stock cable, but it does seem that some of the aftermarket adjustables are coming up. My buddy has one and it's doing ok. Granted he's not hard on the car by any means. So YMMV.

And FWIW a foxbody cable will fit our cars. I had an adjustable cable start to come apart on me and my buddy had a bunch of cables on his wall since he was a hoarder of fox parts. I threw one in to get me by until I could get a new cable. That was 7ish years and close to 30k miles ago. I'll get around to it one day.

*shrugs* the Q&A on AmericanMuscle seems adamant that it has to be that quadrant. Whether true or not, I won't risk it. The regular Steeda quadrand has two hooks, but unfortunately the "quick release" version I have is only one.

I will say, I was a little surprised that there was more slack in the cable after putting in the new clutch and flywheel. I had assumed fresh stuff would go the other direction as there'd be more material on a fresh clutch. Perhaps it's overall thinner because one side is ceramic, I dunno.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Take what American Muscle says with a grain of salt.

If everything was fine before the new clutch then I'd say something went wonky with the install. Did you do it yourself or did you have a shop do it?

YELOSNK

Established Member
Take what American Muscle says with a grain of salt.

If everything was fine before the new clutch then I'd say something went wonky with the install. Did you do it yourself or did you have a shop do it?

I did not do it myself but the person who did has a lot of experience with SN-95/New Edges and foxes. Prior to the install it was pretty far out on the firewall adjuster but hadn't maxed it out. now it's not tight even with it maxed.

I did also replace the pivot stud and clutch fork, but not sure why that would impact it.

shurur

Established Member
I use Maximum Motorsports for all that stuff and never worry about it not being right.

Firewall adjuster, Cable, pedal adjust...

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If the TOB wasn't installed in the fork correctly it could cause issues. If the fork popped off the pivot ball it could cause issues as well. Or the cable was just on it's way out and now it's done.

YELOSNK

Established Member
Dohhh...sorry..

Modern Driveline has a hydraulic kit for our cars....looks very good.

Moot point now as I'm not taking the trans off again to put in the associated TOB, but my understanding of hydraulic clutch kits is they didn't work with the DOHCs because they wouldn't fit with the larger head in the way. Besides, it's a good left-leg workout. =)

As far as the TOB being installed wrong or the fork being off the pivot, I highly doubt that given this guy's rep and how well the clutch pedal otherwise feels now. Frankly, I think it's much more likely that *I* screwed something up way back when I put the T-56, given my lack of knowledge and experience at the time.

Anyways, Lethal didn't actually have the OEM in stock so I just ordered the Steeda*. Perhaps I'll "upgrade" to the MM version if they ever get it back in stock, but need something now.

thanks all!

*which, btw, is the one LMR recommended to me among those they carry

Last edited:

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I'd get their cable but sadly they are out of stock with no ETA. =/
They had them a couple months ago. I bought one from Lethal Performance in the fall and their site said it was in stock and it wasn't. Took a few months, but it finally came in. If i had it to do over again I'd have went to Maximum Motorsports directly.

YELOSNK

Established Member
PS I installed the steeda adjustable, and while it fixed my issue with slack in the cable, everyone is right, it is inferior to stock. I'll get one from MM if they ever get them back in stock.

shurur

Established Member
PS I installed the steeda adjustable, and while it fixed my issue with slack in the cable, everyone is right, it is inferior to stock. I'll get one from MM if they ever get them back in stock.
Yup..from what I understand, the Steeda cable is thinner and is pinched in the clutch cam.
It eventually wears and breaks or stretches.

Users who are viewing this thread