Best Pulley Combo For Unported Eaton

avj75

Established Member
All the searches I've done address alot of questions about pulley combo's with ported Eatons but not much about un-ported Eatons and pulley combo's. I am running a 2.93 upper right now and want to do a lower. What's the best combo? I will port eventually but want to know best combo for unported first. I am thinking of a 4lb lower but should I go 2lb instead. Let me know if your running either of these combos without a port, and how much is heat a problem??

G03SVT

Banned
For an unported eaton all you need is a 2.8 upper, but since you plan on going with a port go ahead and get the 4 lb. lower since that goes best with the 2.93 even though that is probably to much heat without the port. I'd get the port first then lower.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Have 8,000 miles on the setup in my sig and have loved every one of them! If I get a bonus in December, will probably go with a Stage III port, but the port would just be icing on the cake for me........

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Dont shy away from alot of boost just because your blower isn't ported yet. I ran a 2.93/6lb combo on my car for ALONG time before I got the port and it ran great. Just get the lower you ultimately want to run even with the ported blower and call it good!

avj75

Established Member
Thanks for the insight. I'm going to go ahead and get the 4lb lower setup from Metco and will get the port eventually. Thanks.

Black_Sunshine

Established Member
G03SVT said:
For an unported eaton all you need is a 2.8 upperQUOTE]

Why say that? I have a 2.8/4 lb unported Eaton. Yes, you are correct on the heat issue, but if this is just a daily driver, there is no problems at all. Heavy heat is only present, for me at least, at the last 300' of the 1/4 mile while under 18 lbs of boost, which I am making. Other than that,

I had a 2.8 only at first and put down 455/478, 22* timing on a 65* day in the garage. I added a 4lb and the numbers went to 472/536, 238 timing on a 110* in the garage. Both on a Dynojet. Everyone seems to say that a lower will not add any more hp, but buy the looks for my hp gains, I would say a 17 rwhp gain is not nothing, and a 58 rwtq gain... :pepper: And if I would have had cooler temps in the garage, who knows what my gains would have been

So why is only a 2.8 all that is needed? What is reasoning for saying that?

Black_Sunshine

Established Member
trendkilllx said:
A guy I know with an 03 got 480 hp with just catback, 2.8 upper and tune, unported eaton. He does have a heat echanger though.

I know that is possible, my buddies did the same thing. The lower might not add hp, although it did in my case, but my first tune was off a little. But to say it is not needed is so wrong, look at my tq numbers. Also, my 478tq was at 3400rpm, my 536 is at 2100rpm, and keeps it and stays above 500 up to 4900rpm. I have all my tq coming out of stop sign. Hell, at the track I only have to lauch at 3000 and pull 1.59 60' time

Now, if he is looking for a syno queen and only cares about peak hp, a 2.8 might be the way to go. That is becasue with an unported 2.8/4 lb Eaton, the heat is so intense that I am sure it robbed me of about 10-15 hp.

G03SVT

Banned
I guess it depends on what you do, I like to Autox and OT so HEAT is an issue for me.

Fastest pass is still Broke7 with a 4lb (10.89) and 2nd fastest is VENOMOUS03COBRA with a 2 lb (10.90).

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
G03SVT said:
I guess it depends on what you do, I like to Autox and OT so HEAT is an issue for me.

Fastest pass is still Broke7 with a 4lb (10.89) and 2nd fastest is VENOMOUS03COBRA with a 2 lb (10.90).

Time to turbo your beast for the autox/OT... :beer: (it's only money right..lol)

Tommy has the fastest non-ported time 10.97....

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
G03SVT said:

Yea but Gerry, we still have to take the upper into consideration. Broke's running a 2.93 and John's running a 2.76 (I think....). There's many different combos that can spin the Eaton faster and I still believe it doesn't make any difference where the blower rpm is coming from, blower speed is blower speed.

But, I agree with the heat issue. May want to take different aproaches to s street car, an open track car, and a drag car insofar as pulley selection is concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread