Best Place to "tap" Power Source-KEY ON only for Camera.

RC-5.0

Established Member
I have an in-dash Raxiom unit with an extra A/V port for a Frontal-mount camera..Just need the power supply...want to use a power supply with Key On only.

Any suggestions as to the most convenient wire to use for for Key On power supply. The camera is running from the front grille around the fender to the inside, to the back of the unit, so even a power supply close to the front of the car with Key On would work. If you know of one behind the console, I will just run the power wires along with the RCA wires from the front to the back of my Raxiom unit.

Thanks
RC

RC-5.0

Established Member
Yeah I just tapped into the dome light. It's switched 12v, it's a blue wire

Top map light = dome light? The map light comes on even without key on

Where did you find the wire, and did you use another wire for the ground or just run a wire to a ground source?

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
I went with a fuse tap and found a switched 12v in the passenger side kick panel. I can't remember which fuse it was off the top of my head, but there are a couple in there that are switched 12v .

RC-5.0

Established Member
When you tap into the fuse box, how do you actually connect the wires? Do you put the power on one of the prongs and the ground on the other, then put the fuse back on?

Riptide

Established Member
^^ AKA as an "add a fuse".

Is there any special trick to access the passenger side footwell fusebox? In my 3v car it was a pita.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Top map light = dome light? The map light comes on even without key on

Where did you find the wire, and did you use another wire for the ground or just run a wire to a ground source?

Yes. It's the blue wire going into the rear view mirror. But pull the map light panel to get to it. It powers the mirrors and such, it'd switched. I just ran a ground to the driver side kick panel. There's a stud with a nut, took the nut off, soldered a ground terminal on the ground wire and put it on that stud.

RC-5.0

Established Member
Yes. It's the blue wire going into the rear view mirror. But pull the map light panel to get to it. It powers the mirrors and such, it'd switched. I just ran a ground to the driver side kick panel. There's a stud with a nut, took the nut off, soldered a ground terminal on the ground wire and put it on that stud.

My dome light is ALWAYS powered..I need a Key On power only.
RC

SCalla1384

Established Member
And it's not the dome light. You just have to take off that dome light cover to access it. Well for a cleaner install. Follow the wires coming off your rear view mirror. There's a blue wire. That's it. NOT the dome lights.

RC-5.0

Established Member
And it's not the dome light. You just have to take off that dome light cover to access it. Well for a cleaner install. Follow the wires coming off your rear view mirror. There's a blue wire. That's it. NOT the dome lights.

gotcha!

greenscobie86

Established Member
I used an add-a-fuse like the one mentioned above for my amp turn on wire. I think I used the fuse for the rear defroster, which is key on power. Forget the fuse number but it should be easy to find.

RC-5.0

Established Member
Fuses33_zpsvdltd2pu.jpg

Ok, I didn't know the local auto store had these so I picked one up. I looked at the Manual and it said that 32 and 33 are "EMPTY SLOTS" I took the tester and checked the circuit is closed with the 2 additional amps on top then plugged it in. Got 0v with key off and 11.5ish with the key on. Used slot 33. I showed the picture there. When I get the camera Thursday, I can just wire the RCA jacks to the back of the Nav unit then find a ground connect the hot wire to that extension.
Thanks for the replies.
RC

Users who are viewing this thread