Best Place to buy an MGW shifter.

skippy32

Established Member
great service.i ordered mine on monday.got a call on wensday apologizing that the order didn't get pulled untill that morning and promised it for friday.ups knocked on the door this morning.looks awsome, ten times better than my old 5.0.now i'm just waitng on bobs gasket any day.great work and good packing mgw.i think my buddy who i sold my 5.0 to is going to be a little jealous now.

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
jackers said:
GM Synchromesh, half a bottle of Ford Friction Modifier (XL-7) and a Fiore Clutch Quadrant/Firewall Adjuster. There is not better shifting a Terminator than with those mods matched with the MGW shifter. Period.....

I was iffy about putting the friction modifier in w/the Sycromesh. But I have an SVT Tech that does side jobs out of his house, and when I gave him the Syncromesh and Friction modifier to put in the tranny he said that it is a good idea and WILL NOT harm any of the internals. After I got the car back from him it was a bit notchy at first, but after 10 miles of bumper to bumper shifting/traffic, it feels like my dad's Z06 tranny SMOOTH AS BUTTER. I couldn't believe why ford doesn't put this fluid combo in it from the factory. Best thing I have ever done.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
ok installed this morning and have driven all over the place today and this thing rocks. really didnt notice more tranny noise like with a normal shifter swap, also put on the cobra bob gasket kit. this thing is night and day from the stock peice, shifts are dead on and the throw is miles shorter and I have the red handle. put it in the 7'oclock position and it rocks. I cant say enough about the shifter, well worth the money.

WikedCobra

Established Member
Based on the comments I've heard, I will definately be switching to the MGW shifter and CobraBob gaskets. I do have a question though. How hard is it to install this shifter? How long does it take?

Also, I currently have an aftermarket shifter on my car that is EXTREMELY hard to shift fast or slow. The shifter works a little better if you go slowly, but it's still very stiff. I don't know what type of shifter it is because it was on the car when I bought it used from a dealership. The only thing I can see is that the shifter is very short and the shift ball says "MRT" on it. Does that mean anything?

Could it be the shifter that's causing my problems? The car only has 14k miles on it and the trans runs fine, except for the hard shifting.

Thanks.

1kftlbs

Established Member
Im not sure if you have a quadrant and firewall adjuster but om my cobra I had the same problem. The clutch was out of adjustment at its max point from the factory. The firewall adjuster made a hige difference....

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
when i go to change the tranny fluid with the GM synchomesh will i have to put that gasket sealent stuff on again? if so i'll be ordering a cobrabob shifter gasket

mcflysvt04

Established Member
I have had MGW for six weeks and keep changing the handles (yes I bought both) I think I like the read just a little better. Great product MGW just OUTSTANDING

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
FINALLY-a "true" short throw shifter!

Installed mine today. Installation was cake.

Mine came with the blue handle because the red was backordered a bit and I didn't want to wait. I actually sold my Tri-Ax in order to get this one and I'm so glad I did. I kept the MGW shifter handle along with the stock shifter while I waited for this one.

At the 7 o'clock position, the blue handle puts the shifter up closer the dash, similar to the stock location but closer to the driver. I have to readjust my shifting again. You know-thinking you're in 3rd gear and trying to pull the shifter down into fourth meanwhile you're already there.

Maybe George can make an adjustable shifter knob/mechanism that attaches to the shifter thread then extends back from there for us blue handle guys.

Here's to a great product, and quicker ET's. :beer:

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
Got mine in this afternoon. :rockon: Put in on and drove around the block.OMG what a big diffrence it is compared to the Tri-ax I had in there.I think I finally found the ultimate shifter. :coolman:

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
Got mine installed lastnight!. First time I got to drive it with the shifter on was this morning on my way into work. Felt great but I did pop out of 3rd a couple times.. I didn't quite push it all the way up into 3rd fully because the Shift boot sorta got bound up. I hope after a few days the boot will conform to hardware under there and stretch a bit.. Other than that I just gotta be more direct with 3rd. but don't let that take away from what a great product this is!. One of the best I have ever seen!.

B.

quad

Established Member
Ok, I just ordered mine today with the blue handle. I'm tired of missing third!
I will also order the CobraBob gasket.

Last edited:

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
quad said:
Ok, I just ordered mine today with the blue handle. I'm tired of missing third!
I will also order the CobraBob gasket.

Oh yeah.. I did that too.. ordered cobrabob's gaskets.. They work great!.

and today I didn't have any further issues with 3rd too..

Oceanedge

#488 of 4,055
Established Member
Read this entire thread tonight...and it's gonna wind up costing me more $$$$....
I'm on my way to order some CobraBob gaskets and a Blue handle MGW shifter.
Thanks alot guys, I didn't need groceries this week anyway..LOL

Cottonmouth

Established Member
Ordered!

Just finishing ordering a red handled one (I wonder why?) for the car. I'd say a good use of funds that are coming back from Uncle Sam :thumbsup:

Cottonmouth

Established Member
Got it!

Received it late yesterday afternoon (UPS ground) and what a beauty. Had plans to install it today but the rough weather blew in last night, dropped the temps into the 30s and it was snowing here this morning! :mj: Instructions are very straight forward and looks like it will be a pretty quick install. Easier since the recommendations suggest not using the stops as the T-56 have the internal ones. Too cool! :thumbsup:

quad

Established Member
Installed the MGW shifter last night! It took about 2 hours. I took it for a test drive and WOW! If it wasn't raining I would have really opened up to test it out. Shifts feel really precise and it is really easy to engage third! It is also not too loud and feels more solid than the stock shifter.

Here are my installation photos and some of the installation instructions as provided by MGW...

mgw0.jpg

Unscrew shifter knob, remove cover and unplug lighter.

mgw1.jpg

Remove 2 hex head bolts on left side of handle and pull off factory handle.

mgw2.jpg

mgw3.jpg

Remove 4 bolts holding down inner dust boot and picture frame. After bolts are removed carefully pull boot and picture frame up and over the shifter and out of center console area.

mgw4.jpg

Remove 4 bolts holding shifter onto transmission. Lightly reattach handle to shifter for leverage and remove shifter from transmission by gently prying side to side. Do not pry the shifter front to back. I also screwed on the shifter knob and gently bitch slapped the shifter knob side to side ;) The whole shifter came off after about 10 knocks.

mgw5.jpg

mgw6.jpg

Remove gasket putty from top of shifter base. Prevent any silicone from dropping into the transmission. I folded paper towel and stuffed it into the transmission hole in order to prevent silicone from falling in. Unfortunately the paper towel soaked up a little transmission fluid so that was probably not the best approach. I also masked the edges with paper towel while I scraped away the putty with a plastic putty knife. This took about 20 minutes.

mgw7.jpg

Apply CobraBob gasket to shifter base. It fits pretty well and will remove the need to use silicon sealer. The advantage of this is that the next time the shifter is removed there will be no putty to scrape off the shifter base!

mgw8.jpg

Place MGW shifter on the CobraBob gasket and bolt down the new shifter with the 4 bolts and lock washers provided with the MGW shifter. Screw down all 4 bolts just flush and then torque each one a little at a time going back and fourth until all are tight. Do not over tighten the bolts. Remember to remove the shift stops by pulling both out at the front and back of the shifter. If not you won't be able to shift since the shift base will slam against the stops.

mgw9.jpg

Attach rubber grommet supplied with MGW kit by massaging it into the top hole of the factory inner dust boot. Reinstall inner dust boot and picture frame over MGW shifter and bolt down with 4 existing bolts.

mgw10.jpg

Mount handle on shifter and tighten with Allen wrench.

mgw11.jpg

Reinstall shifter cover and screw on shifter knob.

Last edited:

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
quad said:
mgw10.jpg

Mount handle on shifter and tighten with Allen wrench.
I'm surprised you mounted the shifter in the 6 o'clock position. Mine is in the 7-8 o'clock position.

BTW, the first time I jumped on it with the new shifter I thought I missed 2nd gear because it got into 2nd so fast. I actually got out of it for a second until I realized the tires were spinning. :bash:

quad

Established Member
RUgoinup? said:
I'm surprised you mounted the shifter in the 6 o'clock position. Mine is in the 7-8 o'clock position.

BTW, the first time I jumped on it with the new shifter I thought I missed 2nd gear because it got into 2nd so fast. I actually got out of it for a second until I realized the tires were spinning. :bash:

How much of a difference does it make? I have a pretty long reach so I'm not really sure what benefit I would gain by rotating it a couple of degrees clockwise :shrug: I can see that it would bring the shifter knob a little closer to your body though... maybe I'll give it a try and see how it feels. It is a bit of a bitch to get that damn cover off :bash:

Last edited:

1kftlbs

Established Member
Cottonmouth said:
Easier since the recommendations suggest not using the stops as the T-56 have the internal ones. Too cool! :thumbsup:

I would still use the stops(I did on mine). Just because I would rather bang the shit out of the shifter stops than the internal tranny ones. The only reason that tremec says not to use stops is because if you adjust them wrong((too far in) it will never engage all the way and **** your sync's up...

Users who are viewing this thread