Best pistons to put in our motors

cobra fern

Established Member
I am in the process of getting my motor redone and was wondering what the best pistons is to put in our cobras .my car is also a street/daily driver car and I want it to be streetable still. I know the rods and cranks are strong and just the pistons are weak in these cars , so I would like to put better pistons in . Thanks for any advice .

cobra fern

Established Member
Like I said a daily driver . I have a 4 lb lower and a ported stage 4 eaton already so I will probably run around 17 pounds of boost . Thanks for the help . Build it strong now for future upgrades later .

itSSlow98

Established Member
I went with wiseco. It's being built as we speak. I plan on making 700+rwhp for the street and more on a race tune.

SVTPete83

Established Member
I have diamond pistons. This is what my builder wanted to use and I wasnt about to argue with him!

cobra fern

Established Member
I am going to upgrade supercharger also in the near future so I want to build a strong motor , that's why I asked . I will eventually have 700 rwhp also . Thanks for the replies

sean r

Established Member
manley.cp.diamond. I used diamond always for my race car running 1500hp on spray. For any forced induction motor you want to lower the top ring land and spread them apart so they are thickerand you have less of a chance of lifting a ring land. So if you really want to get into it start looking at the specs of each companies pistons. Also on rings std is usually moly which isnt to good for forced induction as the moly flakes off in hi heat. A Stainless top ring will hold up way better. A higher tension oil ring helps keep oil out of the chambers.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
^Well said sean r, 3 good piston choices, the shops Outlaw car runs Diamonds too with 4000+ HP... And YUP a Plasma Moly ring does the job nicely up to the high teens in boost, over than you want Stainless..

sean r

Established Member
^Well said sean r, 3 good piston choices, the shops Outlaw car runs Diamonds too with 4000+ HP... And YUP a Plasma Moly ring does the job nicely up to the high teens in boost, over than you want Stainless..
Thanks. Also j/e makes good pistons but not sure if they make them for these motors. Total seal tnt were my choice of ring with a napier 2nd ring also. I never burned a piston or lifted a ringland with that combo but ran vp c23 and pulled a lot of timing and ran the lm1 and downloaded it checking afr and pulled and read all plugs after every pass a p.i.a. Brutal metal your hauling ass. My best pass was a 7.53@185 1/4 in heavy street. Just a conventional head 598 bbc with 2 stages in a 3150lb 69 camaro Sorry for hijacking.

Last edited:

cobra fern

Established Member
Yeah that's what happened to my engine , the ring let go so it needs a rebuild . Hope the block is still good . Shop is taking it apart tommorrow .hope that's all the damage

SlowSVT

Established Member
CPPistonISOview.jpg
CPPistonbottom.jpg

:bowdown:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Thanks. Also j/e makes good pistons but not sure if they make them for these motors. Total seal tnt were my choice of ring with a napier 2nd ring also. I never burned a piston or lifted a ringland with that combo but ran vp c23 and pulled a lot of timing and ran the lm1 and downloaded it checking afr and pulled and read all plugs after every pass a p.i.a. Brutal metal your hauling ass. My best pass was a 7.53@185 1/4 in heavy street. Just a conventional head 598 bbc with 2 stages in a 3150lb 69 camaro Sorry for hijacking.

COOL that's QUICK! Haven't run the car in the 1/4 in over 1.5 years, it went
6.39/227 at E-Town back then, it would run 6 teens now!:rockon:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Diamond custom pistons.. With a very thick walled pin.. and a custom ring package from AED..

Users who are viewing this thread