Best oil for 03 cobra, tvs, e85?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So I've been using royal purple hps 5w30 and it's been fine. But recently I got a e85 tune and I swear I could smell a hint of ethanol on the dipstick. That was about 30 minutes after driving the car. Next day I checked and couldn't smell it. Only about 800 miles on that oil. And I put at most 1,000-1,500 miles a year.

I did change it today as I still had 7 qts left of the hps oil. Is a 10w30 oil a better option when running e85? And is a 10w30 perfectly fine on a modular engine? My car is 100% street driven.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Tell me more about your driving habits. Do you short trip the car, or take it for long drives? Recap a week of driving for me so I can steer you in the right direction.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Tell me more about your driving habits. Do you short trip the car, or take it for long drives? Recap a week of driving for me so I can steer you in the right direction.

Thanks, I actually tried to pm you but your box is full.

My driving habits are only driving the car 30 minutes to one hour at a time. I do a lot of city driving where speed limit is 30-40 mph. I normally try to get out on the highway to stretch her legs. Minimum of 5-10 miles on the highway, probably more though.

The car gets driven 1-3 times a week, at least one of those times it's on the highway like I mentioned above. Also I do spirited driving, so it gets driven hard sometimes.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I cleaned up my inbox and sent messages, wasn't aware it was full. Thank you for letting me know.

For your car, you want something robust that doesn't shear, has good TBN for once a year oil changes, and will survive some E85 fuel dilution (just in case).

Amsoil ATM 10W-30

Amsoil EaO11

In the transmission, this is a nice touch for excellent shifting.

Amsoil ATF

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I cleaned up my inbox and sent messages, wasn't aware it was full. Thank you for letting me know.

For your car, you want something robust that doesn't shear, has good TBN for once a year oil changes, and will survive some E85 fuel dilution (just in case).

Amsoil ATM 10W-30

Amsoil EaO11

In the transmission, this is a nice touch for excellent shifting.

Amsoil ATF

Cool thanks, I was considering a 10w30. I'm going to give it a try on my next oil change.

Rambro

Established Member
Ive been running 7 quarts of amsoil 10w30 SS for years now. its my understanding that a true synthetic 10w30 like amsoil will shear less and it still cold flows better than the off the shelf 5w30 oils. I run it in my cobra for a calendar year then I drain it and run it in my beater 03 focus. I probably only put about 2000 miles a year at the most on my cobra.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'm trying out the Amsoil SS 10w30 right now. We'll be sending samples to Blackstone when we dump it in a few thousand more miles.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Good information guy's, storing car in 1-2 weeks, but I'll be trying amsoil ss 10w30 next spring.

Users who are viewing this thread