Best oil filters available in an auto parts store for 5.0

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I run nothing but motor craft filters. I'm sure its not the top of the line, but considering ford shoves those on every car it makes I imagine they have it going on.

GotBoost?!

Established Member
Yup,I've used Motorcraft oil filters on our 4.6 crown Vic and with 260,000 plus miles with no issues.

Best of the best,yup they are nice,but not the be all end all.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
still waiting on Lambeau's response.

no.. no butthurt.. just pointing out your wrong and saying the BEST oil filter is a royal purple or Amsoil filter.

I'm pretty sure me and UB both killed all of your "experience" remarks.

Im glad you like the other option for your oil filter. But imo motorcraft builds a filter that better than anything else at its price point. You can buy 3 motorcraft oil filter for the price of 1 amsoil/RP/K&N oil filters.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
- You and unleashedbeast got butt hurt because ME32 and I posted preference for motorcraft oil filters.

I do not get "butthurt", as facts are on my side. Motorcraft builds the best cheap filter on the market, no debating that. My initial statement wasn't downing the MC, only stating it's far from the best.

You can't compare a $4.00 filter to a $10.00+ oil filter.

Im glad you like the other option for your oil filter. But imo motorcraft builds a filter that better than anything else at its price point. You can buy 3 motorcraft oil filter for the price of 1 amsoil/RP/K&N oil filters.

Agreed, it's the best cheap filter period. On the flip side, I can use an Amsoil or Royal Purple filter 3 times as long, or one year, before having to replace it. It compliments Amsoil's once a year oil change nicely, with all the other benefits to boot.

and then, there is this.

AmsoilEaOilFilterEfficiency.jpg

Last edited:

KILRSVT

Established Member
I used k&n oil filter on my cobra. But on my 5.0 I use a motorcraft oil filter as well on my truck. As far as oil castrol synthetic 5w 30

Canadian_Bacon

Armchair Athlete
Established Member
Does anyone have the rates and info on the Ford Racing FL-820-S? I tried a search but couldn't find anything and Ford Racings site doesn't say anything. Does it use synthetic media?

Ruslow

Established Member
I am by no means an oil guru, but what needs also to be taken into account is the amount of oil that gets filtered and if and what the bypass of the filter is set at. You can have a filter that will filter 1 micro but if the bypass is set at 4psi difference then how much is getting filtered? how many cold oil starts are you doing?Since oil is thicker cold the bypass is going to open.And less filtering will be done.i would prefer a non bypass filter that is filtering 15 microns than oil that is filtering 5 microns and a bypass set at 7 psi in my daily driver. Now my motor home is different I start it drive close to 1k before I shut down. So a filter that does filter better with a bypass set low or no bypass is best for me.

I have an UOA done on my motorhome and I am now at a change interval of 18k.Blackstone says my motor is wearing LESS now that it was at 40k [has 160k now]. And that is using wix filters.This next time I am going to have the additive package analyized also to see how those are faring at the change interval.Stan

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I run RP filter now, but to asnwer your question OP.
The next best thing available in pretty much any store is a Mobil 1 filter. M1-212 is the number for it.

I'd use the Purolator I posted above before the Mobil 1. It's not that the Mobil 1 filter is bad, it's just that the synthetic glass media used in the Purolator (as well as RP, Amsoil, and Wix XP) is so much better.

RusWolf

Established Member
I'd use the Purolator I posted above before the Mobil 1. It's not that the Mobil 1 filter is bad, it's just that the synthetic glass media used in the Purolator (as well as RP, Amsoil, and Wix XP) is so much better.

The reason why i recommended Mobil 1 is because few years ago i saw a thread posted by either our amsoil or RP guru and they cut open several different brands.. #1 was pretty much AMSoil and RP and the next best thing (or one of them at #2 position) as far as i remember they recommended Mobil 1.

On top of that Mobil 1 is easily found at most auto part stores. Whenever i forgot to order the RP filter, i just went to the store and picked the M1 up.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The reason why i recommended Mobil 1 is because few years ago i saw a thread posted by either our amsoil or RP guru and they cut open several different brands.. #1 was pretty much AMSoil and RP and the next best thing (or one of them at #2 position) as far as i remember they recommended Mobil 1.

On top of that Mobil 1 is easily found at most auto part stores. Whenever i forgot to order the RP filter, i just went to the store and picked the M1 up.

Yep, M1 is a good filter and I've run it before myself. There's actually one on a vehicle in the driveway right now. But since that new Purolator and the WIX XP have the synthetic glass media I'd put them in the same league as Amsoil and RP. The Purolator might actually be the best filter going if it keeps the Motorcraft bypass location. I need to get my hands on one and check it out in person.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'd take nano-fiber tech over any cellulose synthetic filter any day of the week. Mobil 1 \ K&N oil filters don't have it. Amsoil, Royal Purple, and the top of the line Purolator do.

kbmag1

Established Member
Sid, just to confirm, the Purolator currently has the same by-pass location as the motorcraft? The FL-500S has a psid of 8, 10-12 gpm flow, 93.7 @ 20 micron. Any data on the Purolator psid and flow? Another question, FL820S has a psid of 16, flow of 11-13 gpm, any info on the Ford Racing version for psid or flow? It efficiency is 98.9 @ 20 micron. A lot of good info being exchanged. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread