Best oil and filter for 04 cobra

Jroc

Established Member
I did/still do the whole Motorcraft filter and German Castrol thing on both my Terminator and L. Good stuff.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
How about for a Cobra running open track events?

I normally run 5W-30 but am looking at possibly a 10w-40 for warmer days? The track is in the desert so it's usually cold or hot. :lol:

SVTDice

Established Member

I normally run 5W-30 but am looking at possibly a 10w-40 for warmer days? The track is in the desert so it's usually cold or hot. :lol:

I went from 5w30 to 10w30 and I'm staying at this weight year around. Depending on how cold it gets in the winter where you're at you would be able to go with 10w30 year around no problem. As long as you're not starting your car sub zero every day.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
OK, might as well run the 5w-20 and have a little more available power and fuel economy.

Royal Purple HPS 5W-20 (part #31520, quart bottle) and a Royal Purple 20-820 filter.
You are going to be hard pressed to find better performance and protection for that price point.
Amazon.com
Summit Racing
Pace Performance
Lucky7trucks.com

Your valve guides will thank you.

Love reading your enthusiasm for Royal Purple. I put maybe 1500 miles on a year. Would run the HPS oil you posted, but wow its $23 per quart. Any cheaper alternatives?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Love reading your enthusiasm for Royal Purple. I put maybe 1500 miles on a year. Would run the HPS oil you posted, but wow its $23 per quart. Any cheaper alternatives?

Where the hell are you seeing it priced at $23.00 a quart?? That probably is some kind of combo deal with an oil filter or something.

Even our XPR race oil is only in the high teens

HPS $9.34 currently at Summit Racing
And 9.99 at Jegs...:shrug::dw:

Check again that price is not right.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Ronnie,

You only need about 6-8 psi per 1,000 rpm when the oil is as hot as it is likely to ever get. Do a little test with the 5w30 you have in there now and see where your oil pressure actually is.

I ran 10w40 one summer and the oil pressure was much higher than needed during normal Texas driving and even doing track events at TWS and MSR Houston.

If I was doing hour long road race endurance type events maybe, but 20 minutes to 1/2 hour long sessions did not produce the high oil temps and low oil pressure I was expecting. I use 5w30 for track and street now.

:beer:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Ronnie,

You only need about 6-8 psi per 1,000 rpm when the oil is as hot as it is likely to ever get. Do a little test with the 5w30 you have in there now and see where your oil pressure actually is.

I ran 10w40 one summer and the oil pressure was much higher than needed during normal Texas driving and even doing track events at TWS and MSR Houston.

If I was doing hour long road race endurance type events maybe, but 20 minutes to 1/2 hour long sessions did not produce the high oil temps and low oil pressure I was expecting. I use 5w30 for track and street now.

:beer:

I'll take a look at my oil pressure next time I have it out and about. Our sessions are typically 15-20. Thanks!

steve5575

Established Member
Where the hell are you seeing it priced at $23.00 a quart?? That probably is some kind of combo deal with an oil filter or something.

Even our XPR race oil is only in the high teens

HPS $9.34 currently at Summit Racing
And 9.99 at Jegs...:shrug::dw:

Check again that price is not right.

Try Autoplicity.com. The HPS 5w30 is going for $7.17/qt. I thought that was too good to be true but everything was as advertised. I also ordered that darn expensive 5W40 for the Jeep SRT8 and again, Autoplicity killed the other prices. It is a drop ship company so your order may come from different distributors from around the country in multiple packages but who really cares. If you order in advance and don't need everything tomorrow you'll be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread