Best N/a Gear

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
96supersnake said:
whats the best gear for 99-04 2v , n/a.

if its a 5 speed go with 373s, i got mine put it 2 weeks ago and i love em'...and if its and auto go with 410s.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
about how much you spend on your gear? im thinking about getting one. and about what you rev'ing at going down interstate? for gas mileage reasons...

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
BLOWN PONY said:
about how much you spend on your gear? im thinking about getting one. and about what you rev'ing at going down interstate? for gas mileage reasons...

i spent 330 on gears, oil, bearing kit, and a speed cal...plus another 380 to have them installed. goin down the interstate at 80 mph im at 2700 rpm

heres a link to help you with the other speeds and what rpm youll be at...
http://www.svtoa-atlanta.org/cgi-bin/trans.cgi

NMRARACER

Mod Muscle #10
Established Member
4:10's bare minimum.....
gears---$150
install kit---$120
labor--? did my own.

Adam

Darkman

Rolling Thunder
Established Member
I agree with NMRARACER 4.10 bare minimum, you are driving a Mustang for performance not a Yugo for gas mileage. 4.30 is even better. At 65mph in 5th gear you are only turning about 2700rpms and at the time it was my daily driver 100 miles round trip each day and still pulled 25mpg Thanks to Anderson Motorsport PMS and wideband. If you are going to take anyone's advice listen to NMRARACER and check out sig=National Mustang Racers Association Mod Muscle #10 = Modular Muscle Class 10th in points am I correct? Brutal class and talk about getting everything out of a mod motor those cars are amazing. Good luck in 06 Adam

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
Mine was $505 and some change. That included the FRPP 4.10 gears and install. I then bought a handheld tuner for $400 to correct my speedo and give a slightly more aggressive tune.

It's alot of money, but unlike Catbacks, CAI, TBs and Plenums, it's one of the few worthwhile 'guaranteed to feel something' mods.

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
You guys got raped on your gears...I talked to Chris over at mustangtuning.com and got their FRPP 4.10 and SCT II kit w/ RP oil. This kit is an advertised $65 off the reg. price of the parts as it is, then it is on-sale for nearly another $100 off...and after talking to him I got it sent to my door for $530. Of course mustangtuning.com offers their free shipping. The car is currently in the shop getting them installed (dropped it off this morning), and was quoted over the phone $200-225 from my buddies at a reputable shop. This will be slightly more because I told them I didn't have the bearings when I dropped it off...so add a few more $ to that price.

northsider

Established Member
I'd go with 3.73's for a 5 speed. I've never been in a auto Mustang so I wouldn't know about automatics with gears. With 3.73's all 5 gears are usable. With 4.10's only 2nd-5th are usable. 1st gear is over too quick.

northsider

Established Member
Also I'd stay away from FRPP. They are not real Ford gears. They are made by some place in Asia. If you do want Ford gears get OEM Ford gears. They cost a little more but they are better quailty then FRPP.

96supersnake

Established Member
i originally posted this forgot to mention 5 speed. I just want some performance, because n/a 2v not to strong. thought 4.10 would give most performance.just wondering about 1st gear still being usable. can you really get a n/a 2v fast?

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
First off, who ever says 1st gear is useless is retarted. Go 4.10's in a NA car. If you get the 3.73 you will get tired of them and wish you did the 4.10's in the first place! You will be at the top of 4th when you are going through the traps with 4.10's. If you get 3.73's you will be in 4th, but not at the top of your powerband. As the car sits with stock gears you should be able to finish the 1/4 in 3rd. I ran 13.2@105 with my NA 01GT with 4.10's and a few other bolt on's.

Last edited:

96supersnake

Established Member
13.2 @ 105 is strong with the small mods. thats what i was thinking about going from 3.27 to 3.73 . just not enough for the hassle.

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
o3SnakeBite said:
First off, who ever says 1st gear is useless is retarted. Go 4.10's in a NA car. If you get the 3.73 you will get tired of them and wish you did the 4.10's in the first place! You will be at the top of 4th when you are going through the traps with 4.10's. If you get 3.73's you will be in 4th, but not at the top of your powerband. As the car sits with stock gears you should be able to finish the 1/4 in 3rd. I ran 13.2@105 with my NA 01GT with 4.10's and a few other bolt on's.
I agree 100%, my car just got out of the shop today and 1st gear is perfectly useful. After driving with the 4.10's I don't see myself being pleased with 3.73's. For me 4.10's work out great. Also to anyone who knows, how many quarts of oil does the 8.8 call for? mustangtuning.com sends 3 quarts of royal purple but my mechanic claims it only called for two. Someone let me know...thanks.

northsider

Established Member
o3SnakeBite said:

I don't know how you guys do it but my 1/4 times were horrible. 4.10's were just to much gear. I went down to 3.73's and ran 13.8 vs. 14.0 with 4.10's. I was able to get much better traction and I didn't lose as much time with the 1-2 shift as I did with 4.10's.

96supersnake

Established Member
well i don,t have any thing to compare to ,i have stock gears ,also no track times.but i do want 4.10,s for some get up and go.

Users who are viewing this thread