best mods for 02 HD 5.4 SC

EnglishAdam

Established Member
njsgsxr750 said:
If I put the 2.93 or even a 2.90 pulley on a stock 02 Harley, will this be ok?

Yes it would be ok but you will be leaving power on the table with the stock tune.

Get, preferably a good dyno tune.

Dbl G

Develop-Mental
Established Member
P1070846.jpg

Last edited:

1mean02hd

Harley Davidson Driver
..cogged pulleys are awesome..... Personally I think the first things that should be done to these truck are :

2" lowering shackles
Oil Separator
Cold Air Kit
Programmer

The CAI gives like 2 lbs of boost and 20 hp by itself...

hd08795

hey im a little new at this but im not sure if the 2,9 upper and the 2.8 upper are the same but ive heard that the 2.8 will do an amazing up for boost and for extra power. im thinking of doing it and comments on that

EnglishAdam

Established Member
If you switch to a stock Lightning upper, you will gain an additional 2lb over the stock HD figure.
The L has a more aggresive tune from the factory so you will need to tune for the best gains.

Among

what are you guys making for power with these mods ... ive got a 6lb lower , CAI , and programmer ( not dyno tuned ) - anything I could do to step it up ?

what power levels are being obtained safely ? Thanks, A.

EnglishAdam

Established Member
Well I ran a 13.5 @ 101 and the truck weighs 5600lb with me it in so I guess somewhere around 400rwhp or so.
I feel that's about the safe limit with the Eaton as spinning it any faster will just produce more heat.
You can always bolt on a KB or Whipple with supporting mods if you want to go much quicker.

todd abbott

Established Member
Just buy a blower, KB or Whipple and keep the boost under control say 13-15 pounds. I also do a maf, injectors, plugs and pumps just to be safe, done a nice streetable 450hp ride.

gmoney21

g
Established Member
I have a stock 2002 f-150 HD with a k&n cai. Just got a SCT programmer and was wondering which would be the best tune, the default or a custom tune? If custom, what parameters?

Last edited:

oki

Step up or STFU!
Established Member
I have a stock 2002 f-150 HD with a k&n cai. Just got a SCT programmer and was wondering which would be the best tune, the default or a custom tune? If custom, what parameters?

Don't waiste your money on a tune with just that...its not going to do a whole lot at all but empty your wallet.

If you are itching to get a tune to wake the truck up...then do the simple mods first, unless you have a plan to go built...if you plan on going built, then save your money and don't by the simple mods...just do it all with a fully built longblock.

Simple mods to wake the truck up:
  • 4# or 6# lower pulley
  • Oil Seperator (L&S, worth the money!!)
  • NGKTR6's spark plugs
  • Don't worry about the upper pulley, as if you do a 4# lower and L upper that is equal to a 6# lower
  • Once you mess with the pulley's, you will have to change the spark plugs and get a proper tune
  • When you change the spark plugs, clean your intercooler with Green can CRC brake Clean...if you have never done this, you will see why you need an oil seperator

Unless you have plans to do at least a shortblock build...don't waiste your money on the following, as you can just port the stock stuff and it works just as good to get you to the HP/TQ #'s that the stock block (internals) can handle
  • Throttle Body
  • Plennum

Trust me on this...I took my stock block as far as it could go and then it went BOOM...but I knew I would do a full longblock build anyways...just should have saved my pennies and done the longblock build when I had enough to begin with.

4a7191a

Established Member
best mod for the money for an HD would be stock lightning upper and a punisher VB for trans life and quicker firmer shifts IMO

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Do 2002 Harley Davidson trucks have the 3-4 threads in the spark plug holes or do they have the better 9-10 threaded spark plug holes. I just bought one, haven't picked it up yet, but was curious if it's safe changing plugs. Truck is stock.

SCBQQSTN

Established Member
Do 2002 Harley Davidson trucks have the 3-4 threads in the spark plug holes or do they have the better 9-10 threaded spark plug holes. I just bought one, haven't picked it up yet, but was curious if it's safe changing plugs. Truck is stock.

02 had the 4 thread head, 03 had the 8 thread head.

Users who are viewing this thread