Best liquid to run for intercooler

c0rn_fed

Established Member
Hey guys since I am new to the gt500 and since race season is coming up. I am trying to figure out what is best to run in the intercooler? What do u guys have the best cooling luck with.

c0rn_fed

Established Member
Sorry for putting this in here. For some reason when I post from tapatalk on my phone. It puts my post is random categorys. Can someone move this to gr500 discussion

Dynobrat

Established Member
99.99% run the Ford coolant. There is no holy water that will give you a cooling edge. The one and ONLY solution to better cooling is an upgraded heat exchanger with fans. Use the factory Ford coolant. Don't use straight water, or water wetter or any other magic potion.

It's exciting getting a new car and wanting to do everything at once but plan your steps carefully. Don't buy out of emotion buy with a plan! I noticed you replied to an ad for 2" headers. Why? Don't get yourself in a rush you will only end up wasting money. If you have a stock car right now, buy a heat exchanger or buy parts that will improve the performance and can also be used with a different blower. (SCT tuner, cold air intake, throttle body, midpipe etc. Headers should be one of your last mods in terms of power adders. You can do quite well on stock manifolds. Adding headers right away on a stock setup won't yield the best results, you want to open up in intake side and get more air in to get the most benefit from headers. And 2" headers is not your best choice.

Your money, your car, your choices. I am only sharing my advice.

Last edited:

Speedboosted

Established Member
I'm going to assume you mean coolant for the heat exchanger system, but I guess intercooler uses it too some never mind lol. Best coolant is the least amount if that makes sense. Water dissipates heat much better than antifreeze does. Do like a 65/35 mixture, more water, and toss in some water wetter. This is if your car doesn't see low (near freezing) temps.

Dynobrat is correct about a better heat exchanger, but there is no harm in a different mixture than factory 50/50...a LOT of people run it

Last edited:

c0rn_fed

Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys.

@dynobrat I just replied out of interest. I wasn't going to get them. I know that bigger isn't always better. I have already got an intake, TB, pulley, tune, and heat exchanger for it already. I had done alot of reading before I bought stuff for it.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
During the hotter months and race season and if you have a reservoir that allows for it you can switch to water and ice for the track. I have the moroso tank with the fuel cell style opening to allow for ice and I have a drain tube running down so I can drain and refill. Just make sure you have antifreeze for the winter so the water doesn't freeze up.

Btw where in NJ are you? I'm in monroe near englishtown. What track do you frequent?

Last edited:

einehund

Established Member
I bought the 3x tank and when I drained my coolant to swap tanks, I saved it. Swapped tanks, reused the old coolant, and then topped the new tank off with distilled water... I guess that puts me at about a 75/25 mixture as opposed to 50/50. But my car DOESN'T see below freezing temps! When it gets below freezing, she takes a nap in the garage under her cover.

pur octane

Established Member
99.99% run the Ford coolant. There is no holy water that will give you a cooling edge. The one and ONLY solution to better cooling is an upgraded heat exchanger with fans. Use the factory Ford coolant. Don't use straight water, or water wetter or any other magic potion.

It's exciting getting a new car and wanting to do everything at once but plan your steps carefully. Don't buy out of emotion buy with a plan! I noticed you replied to an ad for 2" headers. Why? Don't get yourself in a rush you will only end up wasting money. If you have a stock car right now, buy a heat exchanger or buy parts that will improve the performance and can also be used with a different blower. (SCT tuner, cold air intake, throttle body, midpipe etc. Headers should be one of your last mods in terms of power adders. You can do quite well on stock manifolds. Adding headers right away on a stock setup won't yield the best results, you want to open up in intake side and get more air in to get the most benefit from headers. And 2" headers is not your best choice.

Your money, your car, your choices. I am only sharing my advice.
good advise--thx
where in Ontario are you?

Users who are viewing this thread