Best Gears for a Pullied 2011 with Drag Radials?

AutocrosserBob

Established Member
Well, pretty much what the title says. My car is getting a new set of gears for the axle whine and I am considering changing the ratio during the swap. Currently it has 3.55's. I do plan on keeping the stock blower but will do a pulley/tune, tb and drag radials. Nothing crazy. Not sure the 3.73's are even worth changing from the 3.55's but are the 4.10's too steep? Also, with the 4.10's what is the best size for a drag radial on 18/9.5 wheels? The car will mainly be a street car with trips to the track a few times a year.

Thanks for your input :beer:,
Mike

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member
I'm running 4.10s with 305/45-18s.
From what I read you can use the ford racing lowering springs to drop the rear 1.5 inches and there is no rub. I havent verified anything lower than 1.5. but I'm currently on stock springs.

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
In a 18 inch get the 305/40/18 it has a little shorter sidewall than the 45 and will be about as close to stock highth as you can get. That will work great with those 4.10's

I personally run the 3.73 in my 09 it is a good all around gear for the drags and the road course.

AutocrosserBob

Established Member
So how bad are the Nitto Dr's in 305/40/18? They seem to be the best fit size wize.... I just want some hook on the street and something that won't kill me at the strip. I am going to buy at set of FRPP wheels and paint them to match the 11 argent wheels.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
we just put some 305/45 R18 MT on my buddys 2008 GT500 with 410's an 2.59 pulley. that thing rips hard and at 65mph is running at 1800 RPM. win win

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Im in the same boat. A pulley and exhaust.. Nitto 305 DR's on stock rims.
Im currently running 3.73's. But they whine.. So I have to do the gear over anyway at some point.

I was thinking about going with 4.10's this time around. But Im worried Im going to run out of gear in 4th gear. Has this happnend to anyone?

How about if I switch to a Whipple 2.9 down the line. I would assume the 4.10's would be too much gear at that point with my DR's?

Thanks for the opinions, and good thread.

AutocrosserBob

Established Member
Well, got the gears in..Raining here and I want to break them in so I can only comment on driving around town as I put maybe 15 miles on them on the way home. Everything seems quiet, even on the highway. 6th gear seems perfect now when traveling at speed. Not noisy but still has some pull if needed. Driveability around town is a non issue. If anything it seems easier. I can now use 5th for cruising around. The RPMs are low but it has enough torque to actually pull at low speeds. I would not be surprised if these gears change my driving habits and I end up with better MPG. This will however vary with location and driving habits.

Thanks for all the advice,
Mike

BigDan

Established Member
I opted for a set of 2" shorter then stock for my drag radial choice hoping for a few extra mph but it didn't happen the last and only time ive been out with them. I ended up within 1mph (118 vs 119) when I had my 28" tall 2011 stockers vs my 275/50/15 Hoosier drag radials. I figured the shorter tire would be like giving me 4.10's and a definite SOP feel in acceleration but it just wasn't there. I'm not worried about the estimated loss in 4th gear mph since stock is good for 138mph and its gonna take a twin screw to trap that in the 1/4 where as my 26's will redline at 128mph which is currently where id like to be with the least amount of mods, because cage is required for 130+

I did improve my 60ft by .2 seconds and ET by .3 but that was all due to my launch and not the shorter tires.

Do you think going up to a 28" tall drag radial is going to hurt my ET or MPH or should it be similar to my stock 20's? I'd prefer going to a 28" since it stuffs the wells so nicely compared to my tiny 275/50's unless I'm gonna have to go 4.10's

P.S My Advance/ Stablity trac even though I had them both off got mad at me on my last pass when I launched it at 4,500rpm. It started chiming and the warning light's turned on and the info screen said to service stabilitrack and just didn't feel right in the first 60 ft. Even after I turned the car off for 5 minutes everything was still alerting me about servicing my whatever but then after 5 minutes of regular driving everything off and haven't heard a peep out of it since. Has this happened to anyone else, or is it just common when you get traction at 4,500rpm in a 4k lb car in 1st gear?

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
the 28in tall tire will help you alot when you start making more power. since you already have 373's might aswell keep them.

jimh

Established Member
P.S My Advance/ Stablity trac even though I had them both off got mad at me on my last pass when I launched it at 4,500rpm. It started chiming and the warning light's turned on and the info screen said to service stabilitrack and just didn't feel right in the first 60 ft. Even after I turned the car off for 5 minutes everything was still alerting me about servicing my whatever but then after 5 minutes of regular driving everything off and haven't heard a peep out of it since. Has this happened to anyone else, or is it just common when you get traction at 4,500rpm in a 4k lb car in 1st gear?

What size front tire were you running? It could have been the difference between the front and the rear throwing the computer off. The shorter back tires spin faster than the fronts making the stability control think the back wheels are spinning losing traction or there is something wrong, especially at high speeds and/or high loads along with repeated high speed passes. Just a guess. I've seen this on other cars.

Users who are viewing this thread