best exhaust for a SRA swap

mj42

UNDERDOG
Established Member
Whats up guys i am wondering what set up people go with when they swap out there IRS. I am looking for a good solid sound and and deep not to the point where when you are in the car you cant hear anything. I hope i explained as best as i can. thanks in advance.

Quasar Z

Established Member
The sound is a function of the mufflers and will be the same whether it is a SRA or IRS. There are a bunch of other variables like cats/no cats, headers, x or h-pipe. I personally have a full Bassani exhaust on my Cobra with the SRA (headers, no cats, x-pipe, cat back) and it is pretty raspy and loud - sounds very good. I have the Steeda/Borla catback sitting here that will replace it as soon as I get around to re-polishing it and that will provide a quieter, deeper sound while cruising but still be pretty loud at WOT.

mj42

UNDERDOG
Established Member
i was looking into getting borla stingers i hear they are pretty good and sound just right. But i am still looking up what the best combo is with the borla stingers such as cats no cats x pipe etc.

horspla2000

Established Member
The sound is a function of the mufflers and will be the same whether it is a SRA or IRS. There are a bunch of other variables like cats/no cats, headers, x or h-pipe. I personally have a full Bassani exhaust on my Cobra with the SRA (headers, no cats, x-pipe, cat back) and it is pretty raspy and loud - sounds very good. I have the Steeda/Borla catback sitting here that will replace it as soon as I get around to re-polishing it and that will provide a quieter, deeper sound while cruising but still be pretty loud at WOT.

Disagree. ANY change you make to an exhaust will have at least SOME effect on the sound in some way. I had IRS w Bassani cat back. I did an SRA swap and got the SRA Bassani cat back. Same mufflers, but over axle tailpipes instead of the IRS under axle. It had a much different note. THEN I later swapped my stock manifolds and BBK o/r x for Mac longtubes and a Lethal Performance o/r X WITH THE SAME CAT BACK and the sound changed dramatically.

OP if you want, search my user ID on youtube and you will see a sound clip of my exhaust to see if you like the sound. :rockon:

Quasar Z

Established Member
Disagree. ANY change you make to an exhaust will have at least SOME effect on the sound in some way. I had IRS w Bassani cat back. I did an SRA swap and got the SRA Bassani cat back. Same mufflers, but over axle tailpipes instead of the IRS under axle. It had a much different note. THEN I later swapped my stock manifolds and BBK o/r x for Mac longtubes and a Lethal Performance o/r X WITH THE SAME CAT BACK and the sound changed dramatically.

OP if you want, search my user ID on youtube and you will see a sound clip of my exhaust to see if you like the sound. :rockon:

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I had the quiet Borla on my car with the IRS and after the SRA conversion I have had both the Borla and the Bassani on the car. Does it sound identical with the Borla IRS vs the Borla SRA? My ears aren't that sensitive. Does it sound very, very similar? Absolutely. Is the tone the same? Absolutely. While the curvature of the tailpipes may change the sound a little, the type of muffler, cats, headers and x/h pipe will change the sound much more dramatically.

mj42

UNDERDOG
Established Member
so what set up would be best as far as h pip x pipe etc. for a good sound, as i said before i dont plan on changing my headers.

Quasar Z

Established Member
It's all personal preference. I am older and still remember when Flowmasters came out and loving the sound of a 5 liter Mustang with an off-road H-pipe and Flowmasters. Things have changed a lot since then and you really just need to hear the different set-ups in person to appreciate them. I have had four different setups on my car and prefer headers, no cats and the quiet Borla. I have had the Borla Stingers and they sounded better with cats, as they were too loud and raspy without cats. The Bassani sounds good but is a little loud without cats. I also had Dynomax and didn't like the sound at all. Again, it is all personal preference and my likes/dislikes have changed as I have gotten older.

mj42

UNDERDOG
Established Member
hmmmm. to many choices out there but i do know borla stingers are a favorite so far. lol

A.T

Established Member
I would say if you want loud almost all the time get the stingers. I have the Steeda mufflers (aka quiet Borla), and at cruising speeds it's not bad. The radio doesn't have to be up in volume by much to hear it (probably 3 notchs). But it is really loud when you get into it. I like the deep toned systems like my 87 Camaro I had. It was sick with the cam and other mods. I used a 3" catback to dual 3" out Flowmaster, and one of the best sounding cars I had owned. As far as the Mod motors go, I'd say go with the X pipe. I think it was too quiet with the Pro-Chamber because of the muffler design. I just switched to a VRS O/R X, and should have a rev clip uploaded Tuesday or Wednesday night. Here's mine on the dyno.
2003 Mustang Cobra dyno, Mineral Gray Dynojet - YouTube

horspla2000

Established Member
FYI have the Bassani 2.5" stainless w SRA, but I kept the 4" slash cut tips off of my IRS setup. The tips do not have the resonators in them. I have Mac longtubes and Lethal O/R X pipe. I can tell you that its actually QUIETER now w headers (current setup) than it was before w manifolds and a BBK O/R X. The tone is much more refined and a smoother sound. The decel popping is almost completely gone. It is as loud if not louder not at WOT, but it is quieter at idle and cruise. If it makes any sense, the could sounds like its behind you not (like all out the tailpipes) where before it sounded like it surrounded you. The interior noise it much reduced, you can hold a conversation now and no interior drone. Its much more enjoyable to drive w the top down, too. I personally like the Bassani sound. Flowmaster is a thing of the past overall IMO, but to each is own. The stingers do sound decent, too. There are TONS of sound clips on youtube.

mj42

UNDERDOG
Established Member
I have looked at several clips and I still can't figure out heat to get lol.

I know my thread is a lil old but seeing if anyone else cs n give there $.02 in. Lol

ctgreddy

Established Member
When i did my sra I found a great deal on a used magnaflow catback, this was the catback with the actual mufflers not the magnapacks. Paired with my o/r x and stock manifolds I think it's perfect. Loud and a very nice tone when you rev it up or are in the throttle. mellow yet able to let everyone know you're there when you're accelerating normally. and it's quiet at highway speeds and you can accelerate quiet if need be(if a cops behind you or something). I only bought it because it was a good price and needed something asap but I fell in love and dont think i'll ever get rid of it.

A.T

Established Member
I now have the regular Magnaflow mufflers on mine, and I love it. Louder than the Steeda and no drone. I was hating life if I drove my truck and that had Magnaflow. The drone was real bad. I have sound clips of different systems that I've used cropped to 1 video and just need to do 1 rolling and post it.

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
I'll have the stingers on mine by the end of next week...granted there will be no mid pipe and it's a turbo car, but ill post a vid.

Users who are viewing this thread