Best engine bay to work in? (American cars)

paynecasey

Established Member
What in your what is the easiest sports car engine bay to work in? When I say easiest I mean access to all engine parts and how many other parts to you have to dissemble to get to deeper parts that our outside of the engine block it's self. How hard it is to replace the belt, alternator, starter, change fluids etc.

Something tells me huge engine bays like the Corvette and Viper are gonna win this. My last Mustang required dropping the engine slightly just to install headers. PAIN! I'm just curious on everyone's perception of easiest to work on. This would be someone working in their garage with limited tools.

vortecd

Established Member
Fox bodies with a 302 are hard to beat. But if you go back further there are many that were easy when they didn't have little to no emission equipment on them

oldmodman

Established Member
Guess I should have put a year limit. Ok has to be newer than 2000

Damn you:cuss:

I was going to nominate my first car. A 1961 Ford Falcon with the 98hp straight six. You could overhaul the entire engine without removing it from under the hood.
I could replace the clutch in 30 minutes lying on my back and replace just the transmission in 15 minutes.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
C5 Corvettes aren't bad for engine work, but trans work is a bitch.
Fox bodies, Challengers and Chargers are ok.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member

I was going to nominate my first car. A 1961 Ford Falcon with the 98hp straight six. You could overhaul the entire engine without removing it from under the hood.
I could replace the clutch in 30 minutes lying on my back and replace just the transmission in 15 minutes.

damn...those days are long gone

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member

Inline 6s were great. I could stand inside the engine compartment with my feet on the ground while changing spark plugs on my '74 F100

Tyler72

Established Member
The new camaros are a cake walk to work on. Very easy. Corvettes... Well some stuff is easy other things are hard. Doing a clutch job in any corvette is no fun... A cam swap is a nightmare too. But heads, headers, intake, etc is pretty easy. Mustangs aren't the easiest either... Headers are a pain on anything with a mod motor. But I love them anyway.

The cars I hate to work on the most are the LT1 & LS1 camaros. The engine is under the dash...

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
The new camaros are a cake walk to work on. Very easy. Corvettes... Well some stuff is easy other things are hard. Doing a clutch job in any corvette is no fun... A cam swap is a nightmare too. But heads, headers, intake, etc is pretty easy. Mustangs aren't the easiest either... Headers are a pain on anything with a mod motor. But I love them anyway.

The cars I hate to work on the most are the LT1 & LS1 camaros. The engine is under the dash...

This guy knows what he's talking about.... :beer:

And taking the hood off a 5th gen takes less than a minute, which makes it THAT much easier... And it weighs like 20lbs.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

How well I remember! I hated working on my '94 Camaro. While I've never owned a new-gen Camaro, what a huge difference!

Users who are viewing this thread