BEST drag wheel/tire setup for lowered '04

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
My old Hard top H&R race springs with Bogart D-10' running a 28' slick.

P1010041k2.jpg

P1010041k.jpg

P1010048.jpg

scottGT500

Established Member
My car sits pretty low and I run the diamond racing wheels with 26" ET Streets

I cut the stock springs to give it a shot before I ordered H&Rs and ended up liking it the way it is. Think I cut about 3/4 of a coil and I don't remember which isos are in, it's been too long ago.

Do you run your bias ply ET's with your regular radial street tires at the track?

Thanks!

Scott

scotts99snake

Established Member
So, should I still get the bias ply rears (which are better vs radial) and pony up the $$ and get matching bias ply skinnies up front? OR keep my nt05 fronts and get a MT ET RADIAL to run so it won't be "too" weird on the big end....?

Thanks!!!!

IMO, I think you should get bias ply tires all the way around.

Ace5Oh

Established Member
I have 16" Weld ProStars on the back of mine with 26x9.5x16 Hoosiers. I was too cheap to buy the front runners at the same time....which I regret. My car is lowered on Kenny Brown springs and I don't think I could have tucked a 28" tire under it. Even with the 16" wheel, I had to grind the brake caliper. I will admit, it was VERY minor (maybe from the epoxy paint I had on the calipers?) it still contacted. The first pass I made I scared the crap out of myself. I had the Hoosiers on the back and NT05s on the front. The car felt loose the whole way down the track. I couldn't understand why I could only cut a 1.8 60" (which I was getting with my NT05Rs) until I realized I smoked the clutch. I am only 575ish at the wheels so hopefully you have already upgraded your clutch. Otherwise, you are on borrowed time. Hope this helps some.

Where you find those 16" at?

scottGT500

Established Member
If they don't fit....what are the cheapest 16x10 "drag" wheel that I can get ASAP.....that clear everything. Just throw on some stickies and go....

Scott

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
Do you run your bias ply ET's with your regular radial street tires at the track?

Thanks!

Scott

I do, you've have to get use to the swaying it's a weird feeling :rolling:

I just put some cheap 16" (95 gt wheels) on the rear with 26/10.5/16 m/t e/t streets drive it to the track kick some ass, and drive it back home. (About 20miles or so roundtrip) 11psi in the tires lauching at 5k rpm on stock irs, haven't tested out my new slammed setup yet though. (stock springs cut one full coil)

Last edited:

scottGT500

Established Member
I do, you've have to get use to the swaying it's a weird feeling :rolling:

I just put some cheap 16" (95 gt wheels) on the rear with 26/10.5/16 m/t e/t streets drive it to the track kick some ass, and drive it back home. (About 20miles or so roundtrip) 11psi in the tires lauching at 5k rpm on stock irs, haven't tested out my new slammed setup yet though. (stock springs cut one full coil)

Wowza....5000rpm launching on the IRS. That proves the point of the bias ply vs radials lol. I need to find a 16" wheel that can handle a 11.5" tire ASAP. I am not sure the tire you use would be enough for my setup. I need prolly a 16x9-10" wheel. I can't find any used and the new ones (bogart) are waaaaay to much $$ for as little as I would use them. :fm:

Ace5Oh

Established Member
Last edited:

scottGT500

Established Member
That's why I use to run the 94-96 GT wheels, light, clear the brakes and irs and cheap! I ran 27x10.5 et streets with eibach pro kit lowering springs with no ISOs.

To clarify...what power level were you at with those 10.5" tires? And did you run radial or bias ply?

Were the 94-96 gt wheels 8' wide? I have been told that I need wider.....like 10" at my 645whp setup....

Thanks!

Scott

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
If I want to go cheap...at first. Someone tell me if these will work/fit with no modification whatsoever. Check the backspacing and offset for me.....thanks!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-164-6181p/overview/

I do not see the weight on these rims...I had mentioned the Bogarts to you; while they're are not cheap (and when they are found for sale here on the site they usually goes quick!) they are super light. If I recall my rears with slicks were about 22LBS total!!! With the four rim set (skinnies up front) I lost over 100 LBs of weight were it counts most!!!

Last edited:

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
To clarify...what power level were you at with those 10.5" tires? And did you run radial or bias ply?

Were the 94-96 gt wheels 8' wide? I have been told that I need wider.....like 10" at my 645whp setup....

Thanks!

Scott

720 rwhp, 3500 -4000 slip, on 16x8 GT wheels with 27x10.5 et streets bias plys.
You have 80 less HP, you'll be fine!

RussZTT

Established Member
I have talked to a few and also read that if you have the IRS, going with a 17" DR will hook better on the street than a 15".

scottGT500

Established Member
720 rwhp, 3500 -4000 slip, on 16x8 GT wheels with 27x10.5 et streets bias plys.
You have 80 less HP, you'll be fine!

Thank you sir! Do you run bias ply fronts also?

16x8 gt wheels need no IRS modifying right? If so, what year is best? American Muscle carries basically everything...

Scott

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
When I ran that combo I had the 18inch AFS on the front with nittos on the front. Any 94-96 16x8 GT pony wheel fits with no modifications.

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
Wowza....5000rpm launching on the IRS. That proves the point of the bias ply vs radials lol.

I'm firm believer on tires being the main cause of axles snapping....even lauching at 5k it leave the line so smooth it's kind like you feel the tires taking all the shock.

Users who are viewing this thread