Best Drag Tire for 17x10.5 Rims??

LaserRed02GT

Established Member
Whats the best drag tire for a 17x10.5 inch rim for my 2003 Cobra? Tread wear and wet traction don't matter since I have another set of 315/35R17 Nitto NT555 for street use. I took them to the track and it was a burnout fest :nonono: A full on track tire would be fine also, I was thinking Hoosier but not sure exactly what size. I will be launching with a two step @ 2800rpms so nothing crazy. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

04cobrawhine

Established Member
M&H racemaster drag radial!! best tire EVER! they have them in a 325/45/17. i believe they will work with a 10.5 rim. i run the 325/40/18 on my 1000hp twin turbo cobra and they hold almost all of 2nd gear on the street!!! they hook like hell at the track too.

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
dont mean to high jack but how do those 325s fit i have a 98 sra im gonna be running this year but dont wanna have any fitment issues. im gonna get the 325 45 17s.

op i ran the 315 M/Ts this past season and they were great i put 3k miles on them and tread wear wasnt too bad either they hooked great. the only reason im switching is because i need the taller tires for the 4.10 gears im going to.

LaserRed02GT

Established Member
I've narrowed it Down to Hooser Drag Slick, M and H Drag Radial, or Mickey Thompson's drag radial or slick. I've read from many people that those three are the best. Anyone know if a 26x11.5x17 Mickey Thompson Bias Ply ET Street will fit?

V8Demon

Established Member
The M&H's are 28 inches tall and run a wee bit narrow. I have them on 9 inch wide wheels. They are in the pic below.

I've driven with them in the rain (it rains EVERY year at the Carlisle show :mj: ) and as long as your not ripping through decent sized puddles at speeds you shouldn't be driving in the rain anyway; you'll be fine.

Last edited:

LaserRed02GT

Established Member
The M&H's are 28 inches tall and run a wee bit narrow. I have them on 9 inch wide wheels. They are in the pic below.

I've driven with them in the rain (it rains EVERY year at the Carlisle show :mj: ) and as long as your not ripping through decent sized puddles at speeds you shouldn't be driving in the rain anyway; you'll be fine.

Thanks man! They look like what im looking for size wise. A link to the other two Im considering. The hoosier Slicks which might be too narrow for a 10.5 inch rim? Hoosier Racing Tire 18157 - Hoosier Drag Racing Slicks - Overview - SummitRacing.com
And the mickey thompsons Mickey Thompson 3743 - Mickey Thompson ET Street Tires - Overview - SummitRacing.com

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
Thanks man! They look like what im looking for size wise. A link to the other two Im considering. The hoosier Slicks which might be too narrow for a 10.5 inch rim? Hoosier Racing Tire 18157 - Hoosier Drag Racing Slicks - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Tires usually have a window of two sizes up and down and since the description of this tire says 8.00" wheel is the minimum recommended size for this tire, I would believe that 10.00" is the maximum, with 9.00" being the ideal size rim width for this tire. Just my thoughts.

gamebred26

Established Member
i just got my 325/45/17 m&hs mounted today on the 10.5" replicas i will let you know how they fit or if they rub. SRA car.

i do have the upr coilovers and did raise the car up and inch from where it was with the 315/35/17 mickeys..cause the car was slammed and they def would of not made it..so we'll see tonight.

346CamaroSS

Established Member
Let us know how you like them. That's a good amount of side wall on the MH. Post up pics if you could please.. Im thinking of going 315 hoosiers

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

86merc

Established Member
M&H racemaster drag radial!! best tire EVER! they have them in a 325/45/17. i believe they will work with a 10.5 rim. i run the 325/40/18 on my 1000hp twin turbo cobra and they hold almost all of 2nd gear on the street!!! they hook like hell at the track too.

I know this is a older thread and I am late to the show, haha, but I agree with the M&H drag radials. It is hard to beat a true slick. But the M&H tire works!

I run the 275/50/17 version on a 9" wheel. They are narrow at just shy of 9" of tread. Only have a hand full of passes so far. But my 3800# street car went 1.37 to the 60' so far. :rockon:

DSC_0428.jpg

Capri_Byron_9_12_20101.jpg

gamebred26

Established Member
i put them on no issue at all...ill get some pics. soon as it stops raining over here. like i said raised up the coilover 1" from where it was and it's perfect. i could see if you are slammed on springs and not having the ability to raise and lower having rubbing issues.

but i had no issue. messing around with front to get it to sit where i want it now.

they have a good amount of sidewall like others said for a 325 they were just a tick wider than the mickey 315s but not much..but a lot taller and with my power and 373s i think will be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread