best clutch of 03-04 cobras

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Centerforce dual friction hands down! The Stage 3 SPEC's peddle pressure is a bit stiff to be daily driven. The Centerforce is just as strong and a little lighter than stock.

Tide612

Banned
To: I-CAN-STANG

What are you talking about? I have a SPEC 3 in my 03 cobra and i love the way it is set up. It is lighter than my stock peice. I had installed a few doors down from SPEC headquarter is Birmingham ALabama. The people that install for SPEC do a great job. It is one of the finest clutches out. All clutches can be bad if they are setup wrong or are not broke in right. I think that no one could go wrong with the SPEC 3 or McLeod setups.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
I went with the spec3, its so light i felt like I put the clutch pedal through the floor for the first few hours of driving.

way way lighter then stock. its a bit sticky on engagement. took quite awhile to break in, but now its rocking really well, crisp clean shifts, solid engagement, easy clutch effort.

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
was dynoing my car at the local performance shop and mine started slipping a lot . . . they told me they just had an 03 in same as mine except also with like a 40 shot of NOS . . . they said they installed a Centerforce dual friction and it didnt last 10 mins on the dyno before slipping . . . they switched to a Clutchmasters FX300 stage 3 and still today (2-3 months) has not had any problems (no slip). . . just some personal experience i heard about :shrug:

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Originally posted by mwaull
was dynoing my car at the local performance shop and mine started slipping a lot . . . they told me they just had an 03 in same as mine except also with like a 40 shot of NOS . . . they said they installed a Centerforce dual friction and it didnt last 10 mins on the dyno before slipping . . . they switched to a Clutchmasters FX300 stage 3 and still today (2-3 months) has not had any problems (no slip). . . just some personal experience i heard about :shrug:

Wow. Ive never heard of a dual friction one slipping yet. Interesting.

Boosted 03

Established Member
Surely a shop would'nt be that ignorant to throw a new clutch in a car and then complain about it slipping in the first ten minutes of use. Maybe they could'nt read, therefore they break-in instructions were ignored. I remember since a statement saying to not dyno until breaking in and waiting 500 miles minimum of smooth driving. I've had both products and was satisfied with both. After throwing down that much cash for a clutch, not breaking it in properly is assinine.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
Does anyone know anything about the MMR clutches that are in the link above? Seems like a great deal is they are worth a damn.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
yeah you have to break the clutch in. I thought the spec3 sucked nutts when i first got it, chattering like crazy, hard as hell to do stop and go traffic.

but a couple tanks of gas and its just about as easy as stock (still doesnt really slide into gear but you get better with the gas).

chatter is almost gone but you cant roll forward with just the clutch like a stock one (if you spend a lot of time in stop and go you know what I mean).

high rpm shifts are solid and tight no slippage.

so my only complaint now would be first is still a little bit of an effort but each day it gets better.

so if you get one, give it some time to break in otherwise you might not like it.

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
Very happy with the Centerforce DF - smooter than the stock clutch but grabs much, much better than the stock one at the track.

BTW there is a strick 500 mile breakin period - under 3000rpms. Who in their right mind would dyno with a brand new clutch?

Users who are viewing this thread