best chili recipes.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I made a big pot Sunday afternoon, been eating on it ever since.

Brown and drain 2 lbs of ground beef.

Cook one pack of sweet Italian sausage, cut up once cooked.

Add ground beef, Italian sausage, 2 cans of tomato sauce, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can tomato paste, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped green pepper, one can red kidney beans, 2 tablespoons of brown mustard, 1/4-1/3 cup dark chili powder, 2 table spoons cumin, 2 tablespoons garlic powder, 2 tablespoons paprika, salt/pepper. (Some folks prefer some spices over others, add or subtract amounts according to your taste)

Mix ingredients in a large skillet, cover and simmer for several hours. Be sure to stir pot occasionally, add spices as needed.

Serve with corn chips and sour cream or with spaghetti and shredded cheddar.

I started with the Italian sausage a couple of years ago, it really kicks it up in the meat department! You can also substitute the sausage with store bought Italian meatballs or cubed steak, that's good too!

Last edited:

tdschst

Established Member
Depending if its before or after deer season I use 2 lbs ground beef and 1 pound Italian sausage or 1 lb beef, 1 lb venison, and 1 lb Italian sausage. Make sure it is the ground sausage for breakfast and not actual sausages. Other than that I do mine pretty close to Mr. Mach-ete. I also throw some jalapeños in to give it some kick and green, red, and orange bell peppers. The important thing is to do it in the slow cooker.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
A few months to go here, still in the 90's and doesn't seem like chili weather yet. I do like me some chili though.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Add ground beef, Italian sausage, 2 cans of tomato sauce, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can tomato paste, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped green pepper, one can red kidney beans, 2 tablespoons of brown mustard, 1/4-1/3 cup dark chili powder, 2 table spoons cumin, 2 tablespoons garlic powder, 2 tablespoons paprika, salt/pepper. (Some folks prefer some spices over others, add or subtract amounts according to your taste)

Mix ingredients in a large skillet, cover and simmer for several hours. Be sure to stir pot occasionally, add spices as needed.

I started with the Italian sausage a couple of years ago, it really kicks it up in the meat department! You can also substitute the sausage with store bought Italian meatballs or cubed steak, that's good too!

Did you post this recipe last year? I swear it sounds familiar, because I made chili from the recipe (gotta find it now) and it was the BEST chili I've ever had. Regardless of whether or not it's the same, yours sounds awesome and I'm going to buy the ingredients this weekend and make some. Yum!!! :rockon:

03_SVT_Freak

Stirring the pot :D
Established Member
havent seen you post in awhile op, where have you been?

Lurking. Lol. It's harvesting time, plus I'm setting up to take over the farm next year. Been posting alot in the tailgate section.

Well definitely be trying this!!!

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
brown 2lbs pork stew meat with 1 large yellow onion

add garlic and cilantro

mix in 12-20 dynamite green chiles from hatch (depending on how hot you want it)

mix in 30 medium green chiles

add 2 cans diced tomato

add water to get desired thickness

add salt, cumin and pepper to taste.

simmer for 12hrs then use it to smother chile rellenos or burritos

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
secret ingredient:

Towards the end -- with say 30 mins to go -- add to any decent chili recipe 1-2 tablespoons of cocoa powder. (The unsweetened stuff for baking/cooking, not the stuff that makes hot chocolate drink)

It doesn't add chocolate flavor it adds a really great depth and kind of smokiness..

Last edited:

LUBaseball2

Established Member
Ingredients

2 tablespoons butter

3 tablespoons bacon grease, or canola oil

2 red bell peppers, diced (about 2 cups)

2 jalapenos, minced (about 2 tablespoons)

3 Anaheim chiles, roasted, peeled, chopped

3 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, chopped

2 yellow onions, diced (about 2 cups)

1 head garlic, minced (about 1/4 cup)

1 pound boneless chuck, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch cubes

2 pounds ground beef, coarse grind

1 pound bulk Italian sausage

2 teaspoons granulated onion

2 teaspoons granulated garlic

3 tablespoons chili powder

2 teaspoons hot paprika

2 teaspoons ground cumin

2 teaspoons ground coriander

2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

2 teaspoons kosher salt

2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

2 cups tomato sauce

1 cup tomato paste

12 ounces lager beer

1 cup chicken stock

2 (15.5-ounce) cans pinto beans, with juice

2 (15.5-ounce) cans kidney beans, with juice

Honey

Saltine crackers, for garnish

1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced, for garnish

1 cup shredded Cheddar, for topping

Directions
1) In large stock pot over high heat, add butter and bacon grease.

2) Add bell pepper, jalapeno, chiles and onion and cook until caramelized, about 5 minutes.

3) Add garlic and saute a minute longer.

4) Add chuck and brown.

5) Add ground beef and sausage to brown and stir gently, trying not to break up the ground beef too much.

6) Cook until meat is nicely browned and cooked through, about 7 to10 minutes.

7) Add in granulated onions, granulated garlic, chili powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute.

8) Add in tomato sauce and paste and stir for 2 minutes.

9) Stir in beer and chicken stock.

10) Add beans, lower heat and simmer for 2 hours.

11) Add honey to taste for a slight sweetness to enhance spice

Alternatively, after you’ve finished Step 6, you could move everything from pan into a crock pot and then add steps 7 – 10 and slow cook on low in crockpot for 6-8 hours.

When serving, top with Cheddar cheese, green onion, and serve with Saltine crackers

hoamskilet

Established Member
In for recipes. Chili is like a weekly dinner for us when it gets cool. Like SID, I don't think I've ever made it the same twice lol

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Did you post this recipe last year? I swear it sounds familiar, because I made chili from the recipe (gotta find it now) and it was the BEST chili I've ever had. Regardless of whether or not it's the same, yours sounds awesome and I'm going to buy the ingredients this weekend and make some. Yum!!! :rockon:

Yep! I've made hundreds of pots of chili, I vary it every now and then but stay pretty true to this recipe.

I find chili tastes better cooked on a stove top than in a crock pot. The crock pot seems to over cook the meat, it changes it's texture and flavor.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Here's another absolute favorite of mine:

NFL Sunday crock pot baby back pork ribs.

1 crock pot slow cooker.

1.5 to 2 racks of baby back ribs cut into 3 rib sections.

In a separate bowl mix 1 cup of your favorite barbeque sauce, 1 cup of ketchup, 1/2 cup of honey, 1/2 cup of warm water, 2 tablespoons of mesquite flavoring. (you can add more BBQ sauce if desired)

Stir contents of bowl, place ribs in crock pot, poor barbeque mixture over ribs, place lid on crock pot, set to cook for 6 hours.

Start this around around 10am and by 4pm your ribs will be done.

Serve ribs with cole slaw and corn muffins.

Yummy! Best ribs you'll ever have!

Users who are viewing this thread